R92 Forearm vs. Band Fit

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: R92 Forearm vs. Band Fit

Post by joec »

Now my 92 has the octagon barrel so no band to fit. Don't know about the cap at the end till I actually remove it but was wondering about the Rio Grande 45-70 if I should expect the same problem with it?
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:...was wondering about the Rio Grande 45-70 if I should expect the same problem with it?
Don't know until you try it. None of my RG had an issue like the R92s did.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Image

You've obviously got a real interest in and knack for the technical end of firearms and shooting RD as well as solid computer skills.
Ever think of making & posting some You-tube presentations? :?:
Like the GIF but it needs a hog running across the matter in there as I'm known to drop everything for the chase. The only problem with a decent video is having the time, equipment, and help to do it. I'm out of luck on all three counts.
Michael
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

So I just spent about an hour wresting with my barrel band and its screw...again. Tried all sorts of stuff. Then ended up stumbling upon a "solution" that might be worth mentioning for someone else. I turned the barrel band around and tried putting the screw in from right to left (opposite of how I bought it, opposite of how I got it in last time, and opposite of the pictures earlier in the thread.) Slid right in without a hitch. Took it back out to clean the prints off the rifle's hard to reach spots, and again the screw popped right in without any fuss. BLEW MY MIND
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:...Tried all sorts of stuff. Then ended up stumbling upon a "solution"...
Very good idea 357cyrus! I added a link to the opening post in this topic that will jump to your post so that others can find your info pronto.
Michael
RickinVA

Post by RickinVA »

Ranch Dog,

Thanks, this is really helpful. My problem appears to be that the groove in the barrel is not deep enough or that the barrel band sits too high. The screw threads fine when the band is not on the barrel, but won't line up with the hole when the band in on the barrel. I tried some light filing on the barrel groove with a small chain saw file, and on the inside of the band to get it to sit lower on the barrel. I think I made some progress, but really don't won't to do much more on the barrel for safety reasons. I'll try working more on the band tonight. I don't think relieving the forearm would make a difference, but may do that anyway per your advice. I also have the older screw tip so will call Rossi to see if I can get one of the newer ones with the better tip.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Rick
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RickinVA wrote:I also have the older screw tip so will call Rossi to see if I can get one of the newer ones with the better tip.
The problem with using the newer screw is that you are still applying quite a bit of pressure to all these components of the fit if you manage to get it started and secure. I would relieve the barrel further. Take a look at the depth of the rear sight dove tail. From the description of your work you have not hardly scratched the surface I suspect. I simply do not have any issue cutting the barrel down to that depth but it would not need that much.
Michael
RickinVA

Post by RickinVA »

Michael.

Thanks so much. I will try a little more this afternoon. Rossi Service, which needs a toll-free number, is sending me a new screw for free. It took the rep a few minutes to figure out which part I needed, but all in all pretty good service. Also, I did end up relieving the forearm, and sanding it a bit to take off some of the wood where it didn't fit the metal too well. That is some soft wood! Thanks again for your help and this site.

Rick
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RickinVA wrote:Thanks again for your help and this site.Rick
You're welcome! Thanks for the report!
Michael
RickinVA

Post by RickinVA »

Michael,

I used an old chain saw blade file to deepen the groove so that now the screw threads easily. Now to oil the stock and get it all back together. Thanks again.

Rick