Stainless Pins

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
GasGuzzler

Re: Stainless Pins

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't submerge mine either. I was just giving a simple experiment to show accelerated results.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Bruce even with the really small mesh strainers I use some pins would find their
way thru. The paper towels lining the strainer work just fine and don't fall apart
when lifting the pins. Separating the brass / pins is no big deal and some brass
will always have some pins inside that require tapping on the side of the drum
to get them to drop out. Two colanders with different openings might just work,
worth a try.

I like that pvc drum idea, how long of a piece did you have to buy ? I can see me
walking thru Lowe's with a ten foot piece of 4" pvc ! Post those pics. I'm interested !

I bet a turn of the ole sticky friction tape would keep the drum from slipping. I
wonder ... do they still make that ? All I see nowadays is the plastic type.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'm not sure colanders will stop the pins. I use a couple of strainers/sifter with pretty fine screen and I still put a piece of unbleached muslin between them. I use one of Franklin Arsenal's magnets to pull most of the pins out of the drum, drop them in the strainer and pick out the occasional case that rides along. Rinse the pins in situ and rinse the cases separately.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

panty hose make really good strainers ..... an old brew trick .... we kinda insisted on fresh from the package though :lol:

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I put a spoon full of lemishine in about 6 ozs of water and mixed it up real good. I then put 5 or 6 bad, clean brass in it.

It's been soaking for 6 hours so far ......and I still don't see NO PINK! Waiting for the non color blind wife to get home to double check me.
Last edited by donhuff on 19 Jan 2016 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Took 10 minutes with less acid and more water for me. May be the water as stated above.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I use a big SS bowl, but plastic would work just as well, and put a colander in it, then pour the pins AND brass into the colander straight from the tumbler. Swirl it around at first to sift most of the pins out. Then toss it a little and continue swirling to get the rest out. I almost never have to pick up a single piece of brass to shake the pins out of it.

The colander that you use makes a BIG difference too. I shopped a bit and found exactly what you need for the pins to find their way through it easier, at Walmart. It's a white colander with little slits, instead of holes! It works 100 times better than a colander with holes does. That's why the swirling action works so well.

this is not the one I got but should work just as well. Make sure the slits, are a little longer than the pins, and it will work.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-6qt ... t/44728135
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Anyone try the salad spinner trick yet? I use it to speed up the drying after a rinse and would think it would work wonders with the SS pins (big slots as mentioned)
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

mr surveyor wrote:panty hose make really good strainers ..... an old brew trick .... we kinda insisted on fresh from the package though :lol:

jd
hmm. I would think freshly worn would add something to the mix ? :P

Hey, seriously, some good ideas to consider !

Not so sure about that salad spinner Doc. I can visualize pins all over the place !

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Tried the experiment (again) tonight. FAIL. No pink brass. There are more factors I guess. It's happened to me and then I proved how....before. Now, nothing. I used spent .22. I have a lot of that and don't mind pinking it.