There really is a Santa Clause

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
GasGuzzler

Re: There really is a Santa Clause

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't have air at home....or a vice (vise?)....
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Almost everyone I know goes through the cleaned cases and either runs them through a decapping die to make sure the flash hole is clean or they pop the corncob with a unbent paper clip to get them out.

I'd suspect that if you are going to be running the pin cleaned brass through the tumbler that using a little One Shot on them first or some Flitz polish might leave a slight protective wax coating on them.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Yes, using a pick or putting them through a non-sizing decap is a pain. I've done both since I tried this Lyman garbage. I used finer walnut before.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Just the price you pay for using corncob media.
I don't think I've seen Lyman selling untreated corncob but I've gone through something like 20 lbs of the Lyman treated stuff and it works reasonably well.

I've gone through a large box of fine untreated Walnut media I got from Midway with the tumbler back before Midway stopped selling Frankford Arsenal branded as Midway.

The Lizard grit from the pet shop and you can usually get even less expensive stuff at the feed store if you know what to ask for that seem popular with high volume guys.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

donhuff wrote:So now I have cleaned a bunch of brass with the wet SS pins. It seems like the finish it leaves is kinda "raw?". They tarnish rather quickly in the places where I touch them. Are y'all doing something to the clean cases to try and protect them while in storage?
I had not noticed that ? Now I'll check out some that have sat awhile.

You using a squirt of Dawn and a pinch of lemi shine? You may need more I have a small
tumbler from Harbor Freight.

Some .40s that have sat awhile, noticed some slight scuff marks.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I quit using corn cob a long time ago. It does leave a very smooth polish when used with some sort of polish. But the hassle of the stuck media is not worth it. Wears out quick too. I'd quit cleaning if I had to look at ever single flash hole like I use to have to do.

Go to one of the big chain pet stores and get the crushed walnut hull made for lizard bedding. It is small enough that I NEVER have but one or two get stuck in the flash hole.
Then I get the NuFinish car polish from Walmart in the automotive wax section. Put dang near a whole bottle in the untreated walnut hulls, and let mix until dry. This mix will polish a lot of cases and gets them very shiny. When it starts to take longer, or the finish is not as shiny, add some more polish. And the hulls last a long time. I throw them out and start over when they get almost black. The hulls are cheap enough that it does not bother me to trash them.

I'm wondering if I added a little wax to the mix if it would coat the hulls and keep em bright longer. I know that they will tarnish eventually, and I don't mind that. I just do not like the finger prints and spotting.

I am putting a squirt of Dawn 2x, and a big shot of the Lemishine, probably a table spoon or more. I have no problem with the cleaning part. It is doing great. I am learning how long to tumble different amounts of brass to get the same amount of clean. I also have some more pins on the way as I have learned that when doing a small batch say 100-150 9mms, it takes maybe 1 1/2 hrs. But on 400, 38 specials, it took 3-4 hours to get them to the same level of clean. So I'm thinking more pins should help with the bigger batches, and wont hurt on the smaller ones.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

lots of clean brass!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

So purty you needed only to post these with the reflections of purty Christmas lights to set it off. +guns I know Christmas is over :lol:
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Well, I may be an old crow, but that is some pretty brass, and I like it alot :mrgreen:
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

hhhmmmmppppp .... I like dull brass .... matches my personality :lol:

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!