M92 38/357 Lead Bullet Accuracy Loads

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Cheyenne4090

Re: M92 38/357 Lead Bullet Accuracy Loads

Post by Cheyenne4090 »

cdmajesty wrote: As to the wind drift dilemma, I very much doubt that it works quite like what was described. I'm pretty sure (it's been my experience) that more velocity equals less wind drift, period, as long as the bullet is stable in flight.
cd,

The wind drift numbers are from the Hornady ballistic calculator so I assume they are correct but who knows for sure, its not an easy thing to test. At modern rifle velocities like 2,500 to 3,500fps it is certainly true that faster means less wind drift. Its when your bullets are going from supersonic to subsonic that strange things happen, at least that's what I understand. The way I have had it explained to me is there is a large shockwave at velocities near the speed of sound and that shockwave is surrounding the bullet at the speed of sound. It is this area of disturbed air that gives the crosswind more of an area to act upon and that is what is moving the bullet left or right. When a bullet surpasses the speed of sound most of the shockwave is behind the bullet, the faster the bullet the farther behind the bullet.

I know I'm overthinking this but whatever I learn here will hopefully apply to my main pursuit of shooting Black Powder Cartridge Rifles at ranges up to 1,000 yds and beyond. Wind is a huge factor there and the velocities are actually similar to lead bullet velocities of my Rossi. Its not hard to get an accurate load in that game but doping the wind is what separates hits from misses.

Ultimately I do agree with your point that the more I shoot the better I get but its also true that hitting is more fun than missing :)
cdmajesty

Post by cdmajesty »

Ok, I get. Thanks for explaining that. I still remain somewhat skeptical in my own my mind, though. No big deal.

I have noticed a fair amount of drift even with a very small (maybe 5 mph or so) cross wind when shooting the NOE 360-230 (not in the Rossi) at 2000 fps muzzle velocity. At 260 yards I've seen poi change by maybe a foot or so from an otherwise seemingly "meaningless" puff of almost unnoticeable wind. But, I realize that is the price to pay when shooting cast bullets that are wide-flate-nosed and at moderate speeds. Something in the 500 grain class from a .45 or .50 caliber that has a BC of .4 or greater can make those long range hits doable. But inside 200-300 yards my plinker loads haven't let me down to reliably be pure shooting pleasure with minimal fuss.
Cheyenne4090

Post by Cheyenne4090 »

If you really want to make your head hurt think about this. My baseline target load, the Remington Target Master 158gr LSCW, leaves the barrel at 1032 fps and is still going 810 fps at 225yds, a loss of about 200 fps. Now that same bullet fired at 1700 fps is going 1020 fps at 225, a loss of about 700 fps over the same distance!

Now if my 45-70 launches a 535 grain bullet with a BC of .450 at 1100 fps that bullet is still going 788 fps at 1,000 yds, losing only about 300 fps over 1000 yds.
cdmajesty

Post by cdmajesty »

I'm assuming you are looking at charts and tables, right? I would like to see the actual field tests to prove the first part of your statement regarding the 158 gr lswc.

The 360640 at 1300 muzzle is 1075 at 100 and 930 at 200. If I feel like it next summer I will perform that test with a launch at just under the speed of sound, chronographed at 100 (and maybe 200), if the bullet is stable enough to do so.
Cheyenne4090

Post by Cheyenne4090 »

Cd,

You are correct I am using the Hornady Ballistic Calculator available free online at http://m.hornady.com/ballistics-resourc ... calculator. I then enter my velocity and the published BC if I can find it or an estimate from other similar bullets with published data. After that I am relying on the accuracy of the software. It would be interesting to do a live test if you had a chronograph that was more generous about bullet placement than mine. Either way I would want a thick piece of steel in front of the chronograph with my luck!

Another method I have used to get a more accurate BC on a bullet is to back into the BC so to speak. After a two day match with my Sharps I usually have some pretty good sight settings for a particular bullet and load. I'll have probably 10 to 20 shots at each target at 225yds, 420, 505, 640, 700, 800, 900, 965 and 1000. I also know how many MOA I came up on my sights from my 100yd zero and between each target. Since I already know my muzzle velocity I just plug in different BC's in the calculator until my actual MOA adjustments match the computed adjustments. I think with the Rossi and its limited range you could adjust your sights to hit the center of a target at 100yds or even 50yds then without adjusting your sights aim dead center on a 200yd target and measure the drop. This won't be as accurate as actually putting a chronograph at 200 but its the next best thing I guess. Anyway if you do the test your talking about please post your findings. If I get a load that I am comfortable enough with I might even try it myself, out to 100yds anyway.
cdmajesty

Post by cdmajesty »

Yes, I have looked at my bullet drop charts, etc, as it relates to BC, and it works out reasonably well. But, I have occasionally had some discrepancies. Anyway, I'm sure my shooting method didn't quite give me consistent enough readings to trust it. So, I prefer the chronograph. Since the furthest I've tested is to 350 yards, the chrono isn't really a problem.

If I do the test, I will try to remember to post on it.

Anyhow, I don't trust those ballistic tables, coefficients, etc as much as I used to, especially since I started chronographing my own loads at various distances.

Anyway, I hope your search for this bullet and load you're looking for goes well.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I have often wanted an extended heavier version of the lee 125 rf, to see how that would work since the lee is so accurate but a little on the light side. I ordered 50 of these today as that is exactly what they look like.
http://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStor ... mer+Coated
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Cheyenne4090

Post by Cheyenne4090 »

Don,

Those Badman bullets look interesting. Let us know how they group. They sure do look like a stretched out Lee 125. I was going to tell you that those 147 Precision bullets I showed in the post a few days ago shot a little dirty in my opinion. They have a polymer coating and I didn't get any leading but I could feel a dry crud near the chamber end (1/3) of the barrel as I pushed a cleaning brush through. Lots of black gunk on the patch and a few little flakes of lead. I think the rifling may be tearing the coating. Didn't see that with the SNS coated bullets, I think you said those were epoxy coated. I shot 30 rounds yesterday before cleaning. Anyway for whatever its worth.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

The powder coat that I use is called a polyester based type, so I guess it would be termed as a "polymer"????

But they ought not leave anything but a dry powder in the bore. If you were getting lead flakes, then something aint working right. I would not use that brand again.

You could be right on the rough bore thing. I did run some lapping bullets through mine when it was new to smooth it up a little. Now it is like a mirror, and most of the time to clean it I just run a dry patch or two through it. That usually gets it to where the third patch has just a little trace of black, and I call it good enough for shooting again. This is usually after maybe 2-300 rounds. I don't clean them very often. Sometimes I'll point it at the floor and spray some carb choke cleaner down it. Then run a dry patch, that gets it CLEAN!

Yesterday I shot 70- 360s, 63- 357s and 36 -38 specials down it(I usually count when I resize/deprime). I do not intend to clean it as I know it will be a waste of time for me. I'll probably shoot that much or more next time and then I might...might, clean it....a little.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Polyester IS a polymer if a bit of an early one and pretty low tech.