Trying to decide on a "cabin" gun

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Trying to decide on a "cabin" gun

Post by TinMan »

With the menagerie you describe I'm thinkin you might wanna look at a pump shotgun. Pretty hard to beat in most circumstances. And with all the critters you listed I don't see one that could not be dispatched if the appropriate round is used and the situation requires it. As to the hiking around part.....sounds like you might look at a large bore revolver.....nothing "extra" to carry because its always on your hip.
Might I suggest one that is made to fire both shot and bullet?
I bought a Taurus Public Defender (Judge) to carry as a farm gun. For work in the deep leaves or creek banks its all shotgun shells of whatever flavor I deem necessary. If the hogs are moving around I can carry all .45LC or a combination. Small enough to carry on my belt, and within reasonable distances, big enough to address any critter in these parts. And if I wish, I can still tote a rifle for distance work. It also makes a great car/house gun......I use a 12 gauge 870 as my dedicated house gun. Extended mag, flashlight and a sidesaddle shell carrier. Built a clone in 20 gauge for a friend who did not want the recoil of a 12. 8-)
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
I would not hesitate to trust in a 12 guage pump. I do my own casting and have some round ball loads that would do for any of those beasty's 50 yards and less. .685 diameter at 1550 fps. Will out penetrate a Forster type slug 3x. Then for all those other critters you have a myriad of possible factory shot and buck shots loads.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

A short 12 gauge pump may be just the ticket. Thanks for pointing out that which I was overlooking.

My dad thinks that I should get a Ruger LCR in 357 and put bird shot in the first hole. From a practicality stand point it makes a lot of sense, but I have a hard time buying a black plastic gun. I'd rather buy a Bond arms to go with the Super Blackhawk.
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

image.jpeg
Just don't pull the wrong trigger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Wow, that thing must weigh a ton.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Hey Coop

Is that what y'all use on them giant jumping rats?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Boy thats pretty! I'm sure thats a one of a kind, made for a Duke or a King, whom was probably looking for a good cabin (palace) gun. :D
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

dvw86 wrote: My dad thinks that I should get a Ruger LCR in 357
A snubby .357 for taking a Grizz! My condolences to your next of kin.

:(
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

zippy wrote:
dvw86 wrote: My dad thinks that I should get a Ruger LCR in 357
A snubby .357 for taking a Grizz! My condolences to your next of kin.

:(
Ya, I don't think that I'll go that route. Dad thinks more highly of the 357 than I do.
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

mr surveyor wrote:Hey Coop

Is that what y'all use on them giant jumping rats?

jd
For roos this thing would be a bit useless. The legal minimum for them is .22 cal with at least a 55gn pill. The practical test to get your roo harvest licence is 5 shots in a 80mm (a bit bigger than 3") circle at 100 meters. When harvesting you must head shoot all of them. While this rifle would be nice, I think it would be impractical for most situations.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless