WTB Rio Grande 30-30

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
PNW4Life

WTB Rio Grande 30-30

Post by PNW4Life »

I have been researching the different leveraction options the past couple months and after visiting a gunshop the other day was completely taken by surprise by how nice these guns were compared to others I was interested in.

I have a couple question about these rifles before purchasing though.
- Can I mount a Williams FP sight system on this rifle?
- Is it possible to convert the banded forearm over to the capped style?
- Could I cut the barrel down to a shorter length 16.5-18'' and have the barrel and mag tube dovetailed together, eliminating the barrel band?
I know these are completely cosmetic, I just prefer this style of gun but it's not a deal breaker at this point, especially when it's only going to cost $380 when all is said and done.

With that said, I've heard sometimes things can go south with Rossi and I just wanted to get some information as a first time rifle buyer on what I should be on the look out for and be sure to double check before handing over my money.
Last edited by PNW4Life on 11 Sep 2012 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: WTB Rio Grande 30-30

Post by joec »

PNW4Life wrote:I have been researching the different leveraction options the past couple months and after visiting a gunshop the other day was completely taken by surprise by how nice these guns were compared to others I was interested in.

I have a couple question about these rifles before I for sure on purchasing though.
- Is it possible to convert the banded forearm over to the capped style?
- Could I cut the barrel down to a shorter length 16.5-18'' and have the barrel and mag tube dovetailed together, eliminating the barrel band?
I know these are completely cosmetic, I just prefer this style of gun but it's not a deal breaker at this point, especially when it's only going to cost $380 when all is said and done.

With that said, I've heard sometimes things can go south with Rossi and I just wanted to get some information as a first time rifle buyer on what I should be on the look out for and be sure to double check before handing over my money.
I can't answer your questions on the 30-30 but did just buy one in 45-70 after comparing to two new Marlins. I decided to go with the Rossi as its action was smoother and the fit and finish was tighter on it. When I got it home and had time I took it apart and cleaned it of all the factory grease. I then examined ever piece in the gun and found spot that I felt needed a bit of polishing which took about a couple of passes with 1000 gr sand paper followed by some polish. The only other problem was the loading gate was hard to press so I did a little trimming there and reassembled it. I've owned a lot of gun and the one I got was as close to perfect as I've ever owned in any gun built by any maker.
Joe
PNW4Life

Post by PNW4Life »

Joe,
Thanks for the response! Your experience is what I keep coming across in my research and why I'm pretty sure I will be purchasing one myself. I compared 4 Rio Grande rifles against the 3 Marlin GBLs they had in stock and was shocked by the difference - especially considering the price on each of them!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

PNW4Life wrote:Joe,
Thanks for the response! Your experience is what I keep coming across in my research and why I'm pretty sure I will be purchasing one myself. I compared 4 Rio Grande rifles against the 3 Marlin GBLs they had in stock and was shocked by the difference - especially considering the price on each of them!
I was also and went in figuring I would leave with the Marlin based on it reputation. I also own a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt as well as 3 Taurus pistols. The fact is they both get a bad rap from those that have the mind set it has to be better if is costs more or made in the USA is better than anything built else where. Trouble is with that line of think most that bash few really have ever owned or had a single bad gun. In my decades of shooting and owning both high dollar guns they all make good and bad guns from time to time by most of them.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum. I would say the cost of the work would be prohibitive as everything would need to be made to fit this rifle. Marlin parts are not going to fit it. I wouldn't and didn't hesitate to buy one.

I'm not sure what Williams offers but Skinner has a nice peep sight system that uses the scope base screw holes.

In fact, they seem happy with the rifle... "This rifle is amazing! Lighter than a Marlin Guide Gun, smooth cycling, accurate and dependable! With the SKINNER "EXPRESS" sights installed, the RIO GRANDE is a perfect companion in the field!"
Michael
PNW4Life

Post by PNW4Life »

I went and checked out Skinner Sights and really liked the style of the Lo-Pro. I emailed them to find out if it would work on the Rossi. I like that it doesn't have that big bar it's mounted on and that it should be compatible with the stock sight, which keeps with the inexpensive quality that caused me to consider the Rossi in the first place.
I went to a Sports Authority this morning to pick up my hunting license and while there, decided to check out the Rio Grande they had in stock. This one wasn't built to the same standards that the ones I checked out the other day were; it was a bit more sloppy in terms of fit/finish, the lever was sticky and there was some sort of waxy substance all over the insides of it. After seeing the the 4 that were so nice the other day, I was a little surprised by this.
Any thoughts?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

PNW4Life wrote:I went and checked out Skinner Sights and really liked the style of the Lo-Pro. I emailed them to find out if it would work on the Rossi.
The holes are threaded for 6-48 screws.
PNW4Life wrote:This one wasn't built to the same standards that the ones I checked out the other day were; it was a bit more sloppy in terms of fit/finish, the lever was sticky and there was some sort of waxy substance all over the insides of it. After seeing the the 4 that were so nice the other day, I was a little surprised by this. Any thoughts?
Might be a return? The waxy stuff is how they are shipped from the factory to prevent corrosion. May be the other outfit cleaned them up, at least on the exterior.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

You can strip the gun completely apart and clean the "stuff" off the parts with dechlorinated brake parts cleaner.
My RG was chock full of cosmoline and machining grindings & shavings and other crud as if it had been warehoused in a mud puddle. :evil:
Good chance to remove any outstanding machining burrs and smooth rough spots with jewelers files, stones, emery paper.
Make sure you clean the inside of the barrel and magazine tube with a gun cleaning rod, nylon brush attachments & clean patches & replace the plastic follower with a stainless steel one (sourcing discussed in other threads on this board).
You'll find stripping and reassembling of a Rio Grande a lot simpler than the same process with a 92.
Lubricate the gun with a quality machine oil that won't freeze or gum up in the heat or cold especially if you're going to be using it in harsh weather conditions.
You will be surprised at how smooth your RG will become and you'll learn something about how your gun works.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I actually use rubbing alcohol to clean them the first time. It won't damage the wood, metal or any other part and it evaporates quickly. It is also much cheaper than brake cleaners.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:I actually use rubbing alcohol to clean them the first time. It won't damage the wood, metal or any other part and it evaporates quickly. It is also much cheaper than brake cleaners.
Whatever works. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA