Rethinking my 357 Mag as a hog rifle?

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rethinking my 357 Mag as a hog rifle?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Bibletotingunslinger wrote:Some day I will get to Arizona or Texas, I hear they have little piggy. Utah not politically correct?????
Not sure what politically correct has to do with a feral hog :?:

That 7.62x39 might not be an SKS. I have to super bolt guns chambered in the cartridge and, yes, they are great hog rifles.

I did the CSI to the hog, fishing her off the bottom of the lake pond. Not in bad shape as the water is fairly cool. She was covered with bottom muck which didn't smell to good once exposed to the air. I cleaned her off enough to determine that the bullet did not exit. The entry was spot on, so she took the entire dose of energy. I wasn't interested in digging in her. The trick is to knock them off their feet so they run in place or expend their energy in trying to get up.

Thinking back, I had almost asked my wife to stand beside me with a light, not turning it on until the shot. I would have least seen it go of the dam into the water.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
This all was a good read.
Every corn cruncher I have had to help find was shot with a .357 mag. Most with a 158 jacketed but some with heavier. In my mind the 357 mag is a good light weight carbine for light weight critters.
I have a CCL 41 mag and only hunt with the 265 grain GC FN cast. Never lost any critter with it. Never have tried a bear nor seen a 300 pound piggy and I do think if I knew either was about I would move up to a heavier 41 mag. Only caliber 41mag I know that is better is the 414 Supermag in a 336 I had JES bore. That adds a good 350 fps to the same 265 grainer and really smacks with authority. With that one I can get 300 grainers chugging right along at 1800 fps.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Bibletotingunslinger wrote:Some day I will get to Arizona or Texas, I hear they have little piggy. Utah not politically correct?????
Not sure what politically correct has to do with a feral hog :?:

That 7.62x39 might not be an SKS. I have to super bolt guns chambered in the cartridge and, yes, they are great hog rifles.

I did the CSI to the hog, fishing her off the bottom of the lake pond. Not in bad shape as the water is fairly cool. She was covered with bottom muck which didn't smell to good once exposed to the air. I cleaned her off enough to determine that the bullet did not exit. The entry was spot on, so she took the entire dose of energy. I wasn't interested in digging in her. The trick is to knock them off their feet so they run in place or expend their energy in trying to get up.

Thinking back, I had almost asked my wife to stand beside me with a light, not turning it on until the shot. I would have least seen it go of the dam into the water.
Fish n game wont let em in here. We got one outfit out on this island in the Great SaltLake smuggled some in and wanted to charge folks to come hunt.they got in hot water. So they not legal here, hense I miss use the term political incrorrect. And it was an SKS, I am an SKS addict.
Last edited by Bibletotingunslinger on 28 Sep 2015 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
P89DC

Post by P89DC »

You guys amaze me, please keep it coming. All I do is trap the occasional mouse and punch paper.
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
P89DC

Post by P89DC »

Bibletotingunslinger wrote:
Fish n game wont let em in here. We got one outfit out on this island in the Great SaltLake smuggled some in and wanted to charge folks to come hunt.they got in hot water. So they not legal here, hense I mis use the term political incrorrect.
Because they're an invasive species. Once they get going it's ugly.
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

P89DC wrote:
Bibletotingunslinger wrote:
Fish n game wont let em in here. We got one outfit out on this island in the Great SaltLake smuggled some in and wanted to charge folks to come hunt.they got in hot water. So they not legal here, hense I mis use the term political incrorrect.
Because they're an invasive species. Once they get going it's ugly.
I know, my bad.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

P89DC wrote:You guys amaze me, please keep it coming. All I do is trap the occasional mouse and punch paper.
Mouse, did you say,,,,,,Mouse they fun with air rifle......
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

See, we had this cat, and them dogs had mice under the dog house.
So I was laying there with pellet rifle waiting for the mouse to come tooling across in front of me.
He run by so fast I couldnt get a shot, so I finaly figured out this sequence, as soon as the mouse hit the crack in the cement, I squeeze trigger,,he would intersect with the bullet, killed couple dozen that way. My reflex so slow.,
No aiming required....... +guns :D +of +of +of +of +zzz
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Ranch Dog, thanks for the hunting story. Your humility of posting a "less than perfect" hunt is to be applauded. We're all here to learn from one another. I for one, learn more from my "less than perfect" hunts than I do the perfect ones. The key word here is LEARN.

You and I had several conversations after my last year's deer season about .357 magnums vs deer. My concern at the time was the lack of a blood trail. One of the 2 deer I killed with the .357 Rossi was spined at 25 yards the first shot. So trailing it wasn't needed. The second went about 150 yards with no blood trail, 50 yard shot.

I shot the hog with my Blackhawk at 12 yards. Blood was squirting out of both holes but it didn't drop. Second shot I tried a neck shot at 25 yards. I didn't hit the spine, but did hit the corodid. Blood squirted out of both holes. Third shot at 25 yards put the boar down. Note: he was with a hot sow.

I relate these stories as a background to something to ponder. How fast is too fast? Just me thinking out loud: Take a small diameter bullet like a .357 and zip it along at a pretty rapid speed, does it, at some point just cut a nice little hole without causing a lot of damage? My first thought is you can't reach the "zip through" speed out of a firearm. Second thought, maybe you can??? The difference fps of the Rossi 20 inch barrel and the Ruger 6 1/2 barrel with the same bullet is 300 fps. Give the distance of both shots the difference would be reduced. But, take into fact the thick skinned hog vs the thin skinned deer; I don't know?

RD, did you pull that pig out of the pond? I'd love a forensic report.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

well we all know numbers and stuff are cool to look at especially if we have seen field results to back them up.
but I'm going to suggest you take this opportunity to have a learning experience.
suppose just suppose the energy dump thing is what's wrong here.
how could you possibly dump more energy into a pig with the combination you are using right now?
I would like to see you shoot one more pig but this time with a boolit that has a lower bhn something like 9-10.
the lower bhn would definitely alloy the bullet to mushroom and slow down inside the animal yet the higher weight would still allow penetration.
I am a fan of 2 holes also and will always err on the side of penetration, but if you can get both more internal damage/"shock" and two holes???