Quick question on removing the loading gate

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Quick question on removing the loading gate

Post by joec »

Now I've torn down my 45-70 already and I'm wondering if I remove the bolt (standard cleaning tear down) if I can remove the loading gate from the top. It was the last thing I took out last time after the hammer, trigger section etc. I would like to loosen it a bit more than I did as it is still stiffer than I like. I didn't take off as much as needed to get it so it didn't bite me if I left my finger too long. I just trying to avoid going through all the other again at this point if not necessary.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Quick question on removing the loading gate

Post by Ranch Dog »

If your finger can go through the ejection port and come up behind it, you should be able to get it back in without taking things apart.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:If your finger can go through the ejection port and come up behind it, you should be able to get it back in without taking things apart.
Thanks Ranch Dog I was hoping that would work since I can get a finger in there once the bolt is out. I couldn't remember if it was held in place by the carrier or safety mechanism. I will give that a try then test it this time before putting the bolt back in.
Joe
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

joec wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:If your finger can go through the ejection port and come up behind it, you should be able to get it back in without taking things apart.
Thanks Ranch Dog I was hoping that would work since I can get a finger in there once the bolt is out. I couldn't remember if it was held in place by the carrier or safety mechanism. I will give that a try then test it this time before putting the bolt back in.
Well and update on this, it won't come out without removing the the rest of the internals. I went a head and took it completely apart again and took more off. It is perfect now.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sorry Dude.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:Sorry Dude.
No problem RD is just took a little longer is all. My old arthritic hands have trouble with small objects as well as opening bottles. :D
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:Sorry Dude.
No problem RD is just took a little longer is all. My old arthritic hands have trouble with small objects as well as opening bottles. :D
Welcome to the club.
I can't blame old age..........I've always been a bit clumsy and klutzy when it came to knock overs, dropping stuff & spills.........a proverbial "bull in a china shop".
I of course made a small spill of Tru-Oil on the computer monitor stand when I knocked over the bottle.
That's why I bought 4 bottles.......after 60 years I know me and consider my spill/drop factor when purchasing anything liquid or breakable.
Forgot some Tru-Oil that got between the monitor base and the stand surface which dried & I had a little fun getting the base off the top of the stand. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA