Sighting in my 336 CB

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Sighting in my 336 CB

Post by Steelbanger »

Yesterday, Friday, I took my336 CB (Marlin conversion) to begin sighting it in. I had three partial boxes of loaded cartridges I took along with the rifle and my Ruger 44 Mag Bisley. First stop was the rifle range of the club where I shoot. No one was there, good!

I put up some targets at 50 & 100 yds. and commenced with the fun. I was shooting three different bullets, all cast by myself, and were all flat noses with one having a very small meplat and I bought it in a group buy about 10 years ago, and the other two were Ranch Dog's FN bullets. One mould is a 230 gr. FNGC and the other 250 gr. FNGC. Powder was IMR 3031, primers, Fed 210's.

First the 50 yd. targets.
50 yd, 255 gr. Lee.jpg
50 YD. ZERO, 230 GR. FN.jpg
The group above is actually the group I fired with the 230 RDFN. I can't edit the photo as it would probably take all day with no guarantee of success.
250 RD FN.jpg

Now for the 100 yd. target.
100 YD. ZERO TARGET.jpg
This target too is from the RN 230 FN bullet

Yesterday was a day I truly needed. These are some of the best cast bullet groups I have fired in quite some time and I drove away from the range a very satisfied man.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sighting in my 336 CB

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well heck Steelbanger, this makes my day too! Tell us a bit about the rifle too; pictures would be great as well!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Looks good
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

A pic of my 38-55 CB Conversion

Post by Steelbanger »

38-55 CB.jpg
Here you go RD,

I remembered this morning that you asked for a picture of the rifle so here it is. Briefly, I had this rifle converted in 2008 with all work being done by the Marlin factory. They told me in a phone conversation that the 38-55 barrel they were using was the last one to be found in the plant, so call me lucky. This rifle was originally a 336A 30-30 and Marlin returned all the original parts. As I recall they had it for approx 2 months.

As you can see I have a Leupold scope mounted, a low-powered variable Vari-X II, 1-4 power. This rifle loves the RD 230 gr. bullet but although I have carried this rifle for part of three hunting seasons I have yet to fire it at a deer. Four years ago I did shoot a coyote though so it has been bloodied. The only addition I would wish to have is the Marlin cross-bolt safety. I really like that feature on the newer Marlin's, especially when trying cartridge fit to the chamber when checking reloads at home and when hunting where I always use the safety while watching for game and have the hammer at full cock so that all I have to do is silently move the safety button to the left side of the receiver when I want to fire.
38-55 BARREL MARKINGS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

No doubt a very unique, beautiful rifle! I think I was the recipient of the "A" barrel and some of the small parts from that rifle. I see it has the asterisks roll stamps indicating Ballard rather than Micro-Groove rifling! It is great to finally see this beauty!

I too have come to like the safeties.
Michael