Question about difficulty of mounting a scope

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Question about difficulty of mounting a scope

Post by joec »

Well my scope came today, the Bushnell Ranch Dog recommended with the weaver mounts. At any rate I plan on mounting it on my Rossi RG 45-70 this week end and now how they pretty much mount. Being the first scope I've actually have owned how tough are they to get close or is is possible without actually shooting. In other words I would like to get it at least close enough that I don't shoot a lot of ammunition getting it close, then more to zero it in. Now I haven't got a clue so keep that in mind when you answer please.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about difficulty of mounting a scope

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:Well my scope came today, the Bushnell Ranch Dog recommended with the weaver mounts. At any rate I plan on mounting it on my Rossi RG 45-70 this week end and now how they pretty much mount. Being the first scope I've actually have owned how tough are they to get close or is is possible without actually shooting. In other words I would like to get it at least close enough that I don't shoot a lot of ammunition getting it close, then more to zero it in. Now I haven't got a clue so keep that in mind when you answer please.
With out a bore sighter of any variety, it is a bit of a guess. Some shooters remove the bolt and sight through the bore on a target about 25 yards out and with the rifle in a stable rest, move the cross-hairs to match the bore. Usually, things are pretty well lined up on a rifle like the RG. I would just shoot it at 25 yards and move point of aim to match point of impact. I use one shot and adjust for this as groups are not going to matter at this range. I do write down the direction of movement and "clicks" each time I adjust it. Just did this with my Nephew's HighPoint Carbine and my 9mm Luger bullet, the TLC356-135-RF, a couple of hours ago. The rail system on the rifle vs. the Tasco Red Dot where quite a bit off but at 25 yards we had POI = POA in a couple of shots. Three shot group and 50-yards, another, then a three shot group at 100 yards with one further adjustment. He is out hog hunting right now.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Question about difficulty of mounting a scope

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:With out a bore sighter of any variety, it is a bit of a guess. Some shooters remove the bolt and sight through the bore on a target about 25 yards out and with the rifle in a stable rest, move the cross-hairs to match the bore. Usually, things are pretty well lined up on a rifle like the RG. I would just shoot it at 25 yards and move point of aim to match point of impact. I use one shot and adjust for this as groups are not going to matter at this range. I do write down the direction of movement and "clicks" each time I adjust it. Just did this with my Nephew's HighPoint Carbine and my 9mm Luger bullet, the TLC356-135-RF, a couple of hours ago. The rail system on the rifle vs. the Tasco Red Dot where quite a bit off but at 25 yards we had POI = POA in a couple of shots. Three shot group and 50-yards, another, then a three shot group at 100 yards with one further adjustment. He is out hog hunting right now.
Thanks again Ranch Dog and took your advise on the scope and mounts completely in spite of pressure to spend more than the gun cost on others. :D

At any rate I do have a bore sighter so will set it up to that. My problem is I get little chance to shoot an outdoor range and indoor ranges are hardly ever over 25 yards which Bud's is (where I shoot mostly).
Joe