Rio Grande Magazine Follower question

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Rio Grande Magazine Follower question

Post by joec »

I see Brownells sells one for a Marlin that works in their 336 and others. I was wondering if this will work in the Rio Grande also to replace the ABS one now there. Steve's Gunz sells them for the 92 but not the Rio Grande.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Rio Grande Magazine Follower question

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:I see Brownells sells one for a Marlin that works in their 336 and others. I was wondering if this will work in the Rio Grande also to replace the ABS one now there. Steve's Gunz sells them for the 92 but not the Rio Grande.
I can help you if your rifle is the .30-30 Winchester version.

I had a few stainless steel magazine followers for various rifles in my spare parts drawer so I measured the plastic follower & found that the plastic magazine follower from my Rio Grande in .30-30 WCF was virtually identical dimensionally to the stainless steel follower that Steve Young of Steve Gunz of Texas makes for the .44/.45 caliber Rossi model 92s.

I installed the stainless steel follower and my Rio Grande cycles without a problem with several brands of ammunition I tested in the gun.

I think RD bird-dogged down a source for a mag follower for the .45-70 version. I don't have an RG in .45-70 so I don't recall the specifics.
There are other threads on this board about that specific topic.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:
joec wrote:I see Brownells sells one for a Marlin that works in their 336 and others. I was wondering if this will work in the Rio Grande also to replace the ABS one now there. Steve's Gunz sells them for the 92 but not the Rio Grande.
I can help you if your rifle is the .30-30 Winchester version.

I had a few stainless steel magazine followers for various rifles in my spare parts drawer so I measured the plastic follower & found that the plastic magazine follower from my Rio Grande in .30-30 WCF was virtually identical dimensionally to the stainless steel follower that Steve Young of Steve Gunz of Texas makes for the .44/.45 caliber Rossi model 92s.

I installed the stainless steel follower and my Rio Grande cycles without a problem with several brands of ammunition I tested in the gun.

I think RD bird-dogged down a source for a mag follower for the .45-70 version. I don't have an RG in .45-70 so I don't recall the specifics.
There are other threads on this board about that specific topic.
Thanks again Price but Steve Gunz doesn't make one for a 45-70 which mine is. I email the maker and got a replay that they didn't know as they have never looked at the RG rifles before. I might pick one up from Brownells and give it a try at worse I'm out $20 or so. Now the marlin plugs work in some of the 92 also though a touch longer over the spring. I will compare the plastic one I removed from my 45 Colt with the one in the 45-70 and see if they are interchangeable but tend to doubt it.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I have a red metal follower from Wild West Guns of Alaska that fits the Marlin 1895s still on the bubble card left over from tuning up/rebuilding my 2 Remlin Guide Guns.
If I decide to get a RG in 45-70 I'll try it.
I suggest that you PM "Ranch Dog" the forum Administrator before you waste $20 & he should be able to put you on the scent of a mag follower for your RG cause I believe he has a RG in 45-70.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:I have a red metal follower from Wild West Guns of Alaska that fits the Marlin 1895s still on the bubble card left over from tuning up/rebuilding my 2 Remlin Guide Guns.
If I decide to get a RG in 45-70 I'll try it.
I suggest that you PM "Ranch Dog" the forum Administrator before you waste $20 & he should be able to put you on the scent of a mag follower for your RG cause I believe he has a RG in 45-70.
That is the same one that Brownells sells and how I contacted the maker. It would be great if it does but I've also contacted http://www.thesmithshop.com/magfollow.html who might make them if there is enough demand.

I'm also waiting for and answer from http://beartoothmercantile-2.myshopify. ... contact-us who also makes their own in stainless steel.
Joe
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I order this one yesterday and will let you know if it works in the Rio Grande. http://beartoothmercantile-2.myshopify. ... -steel-357 though mine is 45-70. Hopefully it will work but they said if not they would refund it if not.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:I order this one yesterday and will let you know if it works in the Rio Grande. http://beartoothmercantile-2.myshopify. ... -steel-357 though mine is 45-70. Hopefully it will work but they said if not they would refund it if not.
As I said your best resource is other members who own RGs in .45-70.

I'd be very surprised if Ranch Dog the forum administrator still has the factory plastic magazine follower in his .45-70 RG.

I own a RG in .30-30 WCF and the magazine follower Steve's Gunz sells for the .44 caliber R92 fits my RG perfectly.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:As I said your best resource is other members who own RGs in .45-70.

I'd be very surprised if Ranch Dog the forum administrator still has the factory plastic magazine follower in his .45-70 RG.

I own a RG in .30-30 WCF and the magazine follower Steve's Gunz sells for the .44 caliber R92 fits my RG perfectly.
I tried the one I got from Steve's Gunz for my 45 Colt 92, not a chance it would work. That is why I order the Marlin one.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Still have the yellow follower in my RG4570. I actually had to pick the gun up and look, that is how far my memory seems to be working. I thought I had found a follower in a part bin but that was for my RG3030. It is just a 336 follower. It is probably a tad under diameter but will compare it to the R92 44 Mag follower that pricedo described next week.

When considering the follower there are five dimensions that are important:
A = OAL
B = Length of the portion in the receiver
C = OD of the portion in the receiver, it will actually be two values as it will have a taper forward/aft.
D = Length of the portion in the tube
E = OD of the portion in the tube
F = ID of the portion in the tube

I was able to find some of my notes from working with the dimensions but came up short of writing down all of the above results.

Here is what I have for the yellow follower in the RG4570:
A = .910"
B = .525"
C = .597"/.607"
D = .385"
E = .635"
F = .535"

I believe that beyond fitting over the spring one of the most critical measurements is "C", the length of the portion of the follower in the receiver. The RG has a very short follower as it is passing through a "336" type frame vs. the thickness of the "1895" frame. I think this is why I came up short of the measurements and did not go any further. I believe it is too long but no longer have an 1895 to finish up the measurements I started. Can anyone help here?
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:Still have the yellow follower in my RG4570. I actually had to pick the gun up and look, that is how far my memory seems to be working. I thought I had found a follower in a part bin but that was for my RG3030. It is just a 336 follower. It is probably a tad under diameter but will compare it to the R92 44 Mag follower that pricedo described next week.

When considering the follower there are five dimensions that are important:
A = OAL
B = Length of the portion in the receiver
C = OD of the portion in the receiver, it will actually be two values as it will have a taper forward/aft.
D = Length of the portion in the tube
E = OD of the portion in the tube
F = ID of the portion in the tube

I was able to find some of my notes from working with the dimensions but came up short of writing down all of the above results.

Here is what I have for the yellow follower in the RG4570:
A = .910"
B = .525"
C = .597"/.607"
D = .385"
E = .635"
F = .535"

I believe that beyond fitting over the spring one of the most critical measurements is "C", the length of the portion of the follower in the receiver. The RG has a very short follower as it is passing through a "336" type frame vs. the thickness of the "1895" frame. I think this is why I came up short of the measurements and did not go any further. I believe it is too long but no longer have an 1895 to finish up the measurements I started. Can anyone help here?
I got a PDF file sent to me to list the dimensions on as well as what each was for. It was sent by a company that might be interested in making them. Oh and measured mine and very close to your measurements +-.002
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe