New to the Rossi Rio Grande

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

New to the Rossi Rio Grande

Post by joec »

Now I've not seen a video and have looked on how to tear down the RG for proper cleaning. Any one have a source in either a video or a site with step by step instructions? Now I have read a few times they break down just like the Marlin but really don't find much there either. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Joe
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New to the Rossi Rio Grande

Post by akuser47 »

I have been told it is the same as the 336 marlin please correct me anyone if I am wrong as I do not yet have one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIg-BJrVOFg&feature=fvst
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

akuser47 wrote:I have been told it is the same as the 336 marlin please correct me anyone if I am wrong as I do not yet have one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIg-BJrVOFg&feature=fvst
Thanks I will as soon as I try it.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:Now I've not seen a video and have looked on how to tear down the RG for proper cleaning. Any one have a source in either a video or a site with step by step instructions? Now I have read a few times they break down just like the Marlin but really don't find much there either. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If you can strip a 92 apart and get it back together in a week good enough so that the muzzle and butt plate are on opposite ends of the rifle you should be able to do the same thing with a 336 (which a RG essentially is) in an hour with 1 hand tied behind your back.
The 336/1895s are much easier guns to work on..........my 93 year old grandmother :geek: could strip & clean a RG/336 and knit a sweater in the same afternoon while watching her soap operas on TV.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:
joec wrote:Now I've not seen a video and have looked on how to tear down the RG for proper cleaning. Any one have a source in either a video or a site with step by step instructions? Now I have read a few times they break down just like the Marlin but really don't find much there either. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If you can strip a 92 apart and get it back together in a week good enough so that the muzzle and butt plate are on opposite ends of the rifle you should be able to do the same thing with a 336 (which a RG essentially is) in an hour with 1 hand tied behind your back.
The 336/1895s are much easier guns to work on..........my 93 year old grandmother :geek: could strip & clean a RG/336 and knit a sweater in the same afternoon while watching her soap operas on TV.
I haven't done it yet but it looks like it will be the same procedure though.

Now as for breaking down my 92 I did and did the Steve's tune up on it and took about 4 straight hours of work spread over a full day with the rest of the time spent studying the DVD. The hardest part was getting the bolt back (about 30 minutes) in but other than putting the lever parts on the wrong side which I caught pretty quickly it really wasn't as hard as I thought it might have been. Now I have little gunsmith experience other than changing spring sets etc. So smoothing parts and reshaping the 92 was a first for me. :mrgreen:
Joe