Newbie questions on Rio "prep"

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Pouledous

Newbie questions on Rio "prep"

Post by Pouledous »

Hi all,
New member here and soon-to-be new Rio Grande owner (as soon as it arrives).
From the threads I've read thus far, it appears:
-Rossi ships these full of cosmoline and other assorted "debris", which require a thorough cleaning. -No problem, I'm used to cleaning old Mosin's. The Rossi should be no different.
-Some owners report scratched brass attributed to the bolt dragging over the top of the hammer, etc. Ok, so slightly hone the bolt (as Ranch Dog did), or the hammer, or maybe both?
-Occasional extraction problems noted. Possible tuning needed.
-Jams when cycled upside down. Not concerned. Never do this with any of my lever guns.
-Concerns over mag tube loosening due to pin retainer. Will see how my holds up...

Please advise any other prep recommended or "fixes" for issues encountered.
Really looking forward to taking this gun out for a break-in shoot, but want to make it as trouble-free and enjoyable as possible.
Thanks!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Newbie questions on Rio "prep"

Post by Ranch Dog »

That's about it but I would only do what is necessary. I think I would clean, spray a good gun oil on everything inside the receiver, cycle a couple of hundred times, clean it, and then see how it does with ammo.
Michael
Pouledous

Post by Pouledous »

Ranch Dog wrote:That's about it but I would only do what is necessary. I think I would clean, spray a good gun oil on everything inside the receiver, cycle a couple of hundred times, clean it, and then see how it does with ammo.
Sounds good. Will handle each as may be encountered.

By the way, your TLC460-300-RF mold arrived in the mail today. Did the standard Lee prep on it, plus the "steel screw in the block" mod (for the sprue), broke it in with a dozen or so initial rounds, and then dropped 300 beautiful, shiny boolits in about 30 minutes. Love those 6-bangers!
Great mold! Very fast delivery. Thanks, Michael!

Now I just need that Lee .458 sizer to arrive so I can start cranking out some reloads... :D
Stench

Post by Stench »

How does the bolt dragging over the hammer scratch the brass?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Stench wrote:How does the bolt dragging over the hammer scratch the brass?
The up and down movement of the bolt as it passes over the hammer transfers to the opposite end of the bolt, the bolt face, that has secured the cartridge. The cartridge is sliding over the raised and locked carrier, any downward force against the bolt causes the cartridge to drag hard against the carrier. If you find my original post, this is why I trimmed my bolt rather than refining the radius of the hammer. The bump on the underside of the bolt that catches the hammer to arm the action was so large that the movement of the case against the carrier was denting the case.

Picture the bolt with the cartridge gripped on the bolt face and the fulcrum being the hammer. There is a lot of length forward of the fulcrum and a small bump over the hammer (fulcrum) means quite a downward force against the "U" shape of the carrier.
Michael