Condo Weekend

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Condo Weekend

Post by Moon Tree »

Real life was not as luxurious as the name would apply.

New Year's Eve party 1982, several of us (newly wed guys of about a year) were hanging out in the kitchen discussing how we needed to get out of the house. Brian suggested a camping/hunting trip on a 800 acre farm that his dad and uncle leases. There was a pick-up truck bed with a topper on we could sleep in. The second weekend in January worked for us. Plans were made. We'd take potatoes, onions and some cooking supplies and live off whatever we'd kill or catch for the weekend.

We arrive at Brian's parent's house late that Friday evening to a record cold snap. Wind was blowing 20 to 30 mph with a wind chill of -47 degrees. Yes, that was minus 47 degrees. His mom begged us to stay in the house that night and leave at the crack of dawn on our hunting adventure. But, being rugged, macho men of 20 to 23 years old we left that night.

Here's a picture of the original "condo" and the original pilgrims ( pardon the poor quality of the photos. They were taken from an album I created for the 20th Aniversoary of this pilgrimage).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Condo Weekend

Post by Moon Tree »

We survive the brutal weather Friday night. Saturday morning Brian found a few frozen worms under the rolls of hay, We had to put them in our pockets to warm them enough to run a hook on them. Brian and I fish for the trout for breakfast. Brian caught all 5 of the fish.

Hunting Saturday was better. We ended up with 6 rabbits and 2 gray faced fox squirrels. We ate fried rabbit and rabbit/squirrel stew for dinner.

We survived and had so much fun doing so that we decided to do it again the following year and the year after that... Well this was our 32nd year of getting together on the second weekend of January. The following posts are a brief glimpse at our progression through the years.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

We stayed in the original condo for 3 or 4 years. Then the son of the owner of the farm dragged a semi-trailer down there and set it up as a deer camp. We camped there for 3 or 4 years. We were still doing the "kill if you want to eat" thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

In the early 90's Brian bought a 58 acre farm joining 200 acres of public hunting area. We built a cabin on the farm. I started raising Brittany Spaniels and one of the guys who joined us on the 3rd year bought a German Short Hair. So, we begin buying 100 quail that we'd put out in four casts of 25 released birds. Our meal became much better than just survival food.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Now this is a fine tradition thanks for sharing moon
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

For the last 3 years my bird dogs have been out of commission(hurt back, hurt paw or pups not ready). So we have combined the Condo Weekend with the Shootout we had been doing in March. The shooting competition is: clay pigeons at various stages one would encounter while dove hunting, including on station where you sit on a pickle bucket in front of the thrower for a blind, over head shot.

There's a centerfire pistol competition. The year it was shooting at a full size clay pigeon, the a medium clay pigeon, the a small clay AND THEN a quarter. After that we shot at a pendulum bad guy with a stationary hostage and then a pendulum bad guy with a pendulum hostage. (see the crazy squirrel target, which is similar)

The third event was a .22 cal rifle target at 15 yards. First round the squirrel does a pendulum swing with a stationary turkey. Turkeys are in season so if you hit the turkey you lose your highest score. Second round the turkey, also swings. With the way the counter weights works, the squirrel swing open for a shot for about 10 swings then it hides behind the turkey for 6 swings, then is clear for about 8 swings, then it gets dicey.

The winner of each of these shoots plus the overall best score compete in a bracket final to win the money pot ($5 entry fee per person). This shoot is .22 cal handguns. We shot at vanilla Oreo cookies at yards.

I won the .22 rifle competition thus putting me in the finals. I won the first round but lost in the final. I broke only 1 cookie to Jack's 4 of 5. It was a bad for me and the Mark III.

Over the years there have been probably 30 people come and go for this annual event. Brian, be the host has attend all events, so has Jack. I missed one Condo Weekend because my grandmother passed away. Mike has only missed 4 or 5 because of family obligations of the last 32 years. "H", a newcomer has attended the last 21 Condos. We're at the point now that ours sons are starting to carry on this tradition. How cool is that.

All 4 original Condo member were here this years.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Oh, we did do some hunting. Friday afternoon we tried to kick up a bunny. No success. Saturday afternoon Brian and I did a coyote hunt; no dogs, while a couple of the guys squirrel hunted the front of the farm. No squirrel, either.

Don't worry we didn't go hungry:
Friday dinner: My burgoo (4 squirrels, 1 rabbit, 15 dove and 3 pounds of venison)
Saturday breakfast: Country ham, eggs, hash browns, biscuits and gravy
Saturday dinner: Meatloaf, fried potatoes, blackeyed peas and homemade (on the spot) apple pie.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It is really great, and unusual, that you guys have continued the tradition! Well done and thank for the topic!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Definitely amazing, this is stuff I see on outdoor channel and such. Makes me happy to know traditions are still born and surviveing in this century.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
f100cleveland

Post by f100cleveland »

Thats the stuff most people only dream of doing. Keep it up!!!