45.70 now Repaired under Warrantee

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Jacko

45.70 now Repaired under Warrantee

Post by Jacko »

G/Day Folks, mid last month I contacted the Importer of Rossi Rifles into Australia and explained to them about Fail to Fire issue's I was having with my Rio Grande 45.70.
I put it down to slow lock time / weak Hammer Spring. To their credit they took no issue with me having used Handloads only in the Rifle where the Retailer I bought the Rifle off was convinced they would not honour the Warrantee unless I bought factory rounds and experienced the same. No way was I spending good money after Bad as the cheapest Factory Load I am aware of here is $50 a box of 20. New Brass is $70 per 50

I have not had a chance to Shoot the Rifle, won't for another 2 weeks but I thought I'd list the Repairs the Rifle required for reference, par for the coarse on a budget Rifle so I read but still surprising on a new Rifle.

Re-Headspace Rifle - this surprised me a little, no sign of headspace issue's to the limits of my knowledge previously

Adjust Firing Pin Protrusion- guess this is why it failed to fire on occasion.

Adjust Feed Ramp - got me buggered why as the Rifle was cycling Cartridges to 2.585 with the Lee 405gr HB Proj no worries but hey who's complaining if there was a problem waiting to happen

Re- assemble and test fire with Brass I supplied

The Lever feels a little stiffer to Cycle, perhaps they shimmed the Hammer Spring, perhaps I remember it smoother than it is. The Trigger still feels good

The repairs indicate they gave it a good going over, pleased with the service, even if it did take a month as it was spelled out to me before it was shipped. It did have to be shipped over 2000 Km and returned and was not damaged in transit. I was really impressed with my Rio Grande before the Warrantee issue, I'm sure I will finish my load development and be very happy with the Rifle.

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 45.70 now Repaired under Warrantee

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great! Hopefully everything has been taken care of and you can get to shooting!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I hope you have no more problems with your RG.
Too bad the RGs aren't all like my RG in .30-30 Win.
Accurate & smooth as glass.
Had to do the usual "Rossi stuff" (cleaning, polishing, stoning) but what a gem that gun became.
If I had to give up a rifle I would be hard pressed to choose between that peach of a .30-30 levergun and a Sako model 85 in .30-06 which cost 7X the money.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Stench

Post by Stench »

Hi. Just had my RG4570 sent back to the distributor with same FTF problem. It fired only one out of every four or five shots on its one and only outing. I will say it printed a very nice group with the cartridges which fired.
I'm no gunsmith but what I did notice was that if I decocked the hammer and rested it against the firing pin, with no pressure on the lever ,the pin would slide forward but if I held the lever closed firmly the firing pin would not move.
It was as if the breach block was not only lining up the two parts of the firing pin but jamming it in the bolt at the same time.

What ever the problem hope to get it back soon. Good luck with yours.
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

Good to hear that the FTF issues are being worked out. Hope to hear a good report after it's return and also a range report.

tb
Aim small, miss small.