My grandson's first deer

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

My grandson's first deer

Post by rman »

Good morning. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to the processing plant this morning. Tristan wanted to go deer hunting after supper last night. I told him it wouldn't be worth while because he only had about 40 minutes of legal time left. He walked into the woods behind the house and 10 minutes later called and said he had a deer down. I grabbed a couple of knives and headed back there. He shot a nice little buck and made a perfect lung shot on it. The deer only ran about 20 yards before piling up. It had a puny little six point rack, but was a pretty nice sized deer. By the time we got it field dressed and drug back to the house it was well after dark. I'm sure glad it was only about 150 yards from the house. The brush is thick back there and it was a real chore getting him out of there. It's no trophy, but he's pretty proud of it.

At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My grandson's first deer

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wow, great job Tristan! What rifle, cartridge, and bullet is he hunting with?

And how nice is it that you have provided a place where he can wander out back? Great deal!
Michael
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

The rifle is a Remington 700 ADL youth model chambered in .243 Winchester. It has a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32 scope in Leupold rings and base. (I also have it's twin in 7mm-08)

The ammo used was Winchester 100 gr Power Point. The bullet passed between 2 ribs and exited between 2 ribs on the off side. It pulverized the lungs on its way through.

At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great work.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pacificpt

Post by pacificpt »

Good job Tristan especially for going out even when you know you only have limited time; never give up! And any deer taken when you are that age is a trophy as far as I am concerned.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

pacificpt wrote:Good job Tristan especially for going out even when you know you only have limited time; never give up! And any deer taken when you are that age is a trophy as far as I am concerned.
Ditto what pacificpt says. It only takes a minute or two for a hunt to go from nothing to exciting. Two of the biggest bucks I've taken, were shot within 15 minutes of me getting to the stand.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.