Skinning Knife Recommendations?

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Skinning Knife Recommendations?

Post by Moon Tree »

OK jdb. Let's see some pictures. ;)
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yes I agree with moon also agree I prefer a high carbon and love me convex edges
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jdb

Post by jdb »

Moon Tree wrote:OK jdb. Let's see some pictures. ;)
LOL...well, ok. But remember, you asked for it. ;~0
The first one is just one of my basic drop point skinners. It's 1084 carbon steel with walnut and deer antler scales. The blade is about 3 1/2" long and about 1 1/2" wide. This is similar to the knife I carry into the woods with me every time I hunt.
Kentuck22A002C1.jpg
This one is my version of an old Shrade design called the Sharp Finger. It has ebony and deer antler scales.
DSCF0166.JPG
And this one is a forged knife that is my take on a Karambit style fighting knife that a fella ordered. Ebony and brass in W1 tool steel. By the way, this picture was a progress pic for the client from before it was completely finished. The finished knife had an inscription in Latin on it....which was an added surprise to him. ;~)
Raptor.jpg
Hope that feeds your jones for the pics Moon. LOL

Oh, and forgive the pic quality. I AIN'T no photographer...that's for sure!

By the way guys, I am NOT posting these trying to drum up business. I haven't mentioned that I make these things before now out of respect for Ranch Dog's site integrity. And as a matter of fact, I'm in the middle of a home renovation right now and my shop is currently little more than a storage shed. I couldn't make a knife right now if I wanted to. So I just want to point it out so there is no misunderstanding with the big Ranch Dog. LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
ole single shooter

Post by ole single shooter »

You do beautiful work .Nice to use tools that one can enjoy looking at.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I'll take option #1 .... can you deliver before Christmas :)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Jdb there's nothing wrong with sharing your work. Also great work as well love the sharp finger. Drop point and the karambit. Great work love it thanks for sharing.
Mrlucky353

Post by Mrlucky353 »

Jdb, nice work, nice photography. Tks for sharing.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Thanks jdb for sharing. I was never a "knife person." Just give me a Buck knife and I'll do anything that I need to do kind of mentality. I inherited several knives a few years ago, mostly pocket knives and it stirred my interest quite a bit. Then I started hang with bowyer friends, so who make knives and that gave me a deep appreciation for a well crafted cutting tool. Last deer camp, I took 4 different knives with me. Each had a specific job to do. :)
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Thanks guys, I really enjoy creating them. Heck, dreaming up this stuff for a client is just about more fun than making them.
mr surveyor wrote:I'll take option #1 .... can you deliver before Christmas :)

jd
LOL...well, ordinarily, yep. Not a problem JD. I usually quote 4-6 week delivery, but always deliver in 2-3 weeks. You know, it's that ol' under promise and over deliver code that keeps um happy. ;~)

However, since my shop is full, front to back, side to side, floor to ceiling with honeydoos...I'm thinking it may be a pretty good while before I get a chance to get back into the shop. Heck, my forge is laying in pieces down in the pole shed and I ain't even got time OR space to load up rounds for the Rossi DANG IT! ;~0

And momma don't want to hear NONE of that till this remodel is DONE! LOL
Moon Tree wrote:Thanks jdb for sharing. I was never a "knife person." Just give me a Buck knife and I'll do anything that I need to do kind of mentality. I inherited several knives a few years ago, mostly pocket knives and it stirred my interest quite a bit. Then I started hang with bowyer friends, so who make knives and that gave me a deep appreciation for a well crafted cutting tool. Last deer camp, I took 4 different knives with me. Each had a specific job to do. :)
LOL...yep, it's easy to get sucked in ain't it Moon? Once ya discover that having a good tool really does make a difference, it gets hard to go back. Ya just seem to keep finding new needs of a different knife and the collection just kind of grows on it's own.

Oh, instead of 4 knives you could just do something like this one and then ya only need 1 or 2 more. It's a 5" blade, drop point skinner with a gut hook and a saw back. That kind of takes care of a couple of those camp knives. ;~)
DSCF0018.JPG
By the way, that handle is Osage orange, ebony and brass. Thing weighs a TON! LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If you guys do work out somthing try to keep it to pm so the rules are followed. I absolutely love that saw back blade. Amazing work. Elegant functional artwork. Also sexy pics of all your work.