RD'S Deer Blind ~ 2014

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: RD'S Deer Blind ~ 2014

Post by akuser47 »

All in good time, it was a long while before I was able to stalk and track. Learning to cover your scent watching wind directions. Noise discipline. All things you learn as your mistakes costs so much it's hard to forget.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

triggerpull wrote:Unfortunately--most of my hunting stories have the same ending--nothing tagged--but it's only my second season so I'm still learning.
I've got to pace myself. I will hunt deer almost everyday of the next 60. Until my dad kills one, it will be all about him. He didn't go last night so I went out to look for him and at dark I saw a very large, mature buck. Light was getting low so I would not have let hi shoot so will go to a point near that spot this morning. Once my dad is done, I have four kids waiting to hunt so will start working through them.

Main thing is to keep a positive mindset!
Michael
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Ranch Dog wrote:
triggerpull wrote:Unfortunately--most of my hunting stories have the same ending--nothing tagged--but it's only my second season so I'm still learning.
I've got to pace myself. I will hunt deer almost everyday of the next 60. Until my dad kills one, it will be all about him. He didn't go last night so I went out to look for him and at dark I saw a very large, mature buck. Light was getting low so I would not have let hi shoot so will go to a point near that spot this morning. Once my dad is done, I have four kids waiting to hunt so will start working through them.

Main thing is to keep a positive mindset!
I've spent my entire life enjoying the woods and mountains--and even though I love wild-caught venison being out in the wild is still a consolation prize for me. Being self-taught will take me time, I've always been a "learn things the hard way" kind of guy, and up here you have to spend time hunting for landowner's permission to hunt before you can even think about an actual hunt. I've lived long enough to know that even bad luck runs out eventually : )
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I like your attitude Triggerpull! Hunters here in Texas face the same obstacles, might be worse, as there is little public hunting outside of draw hunts and landowners typically don't grant permission wthout leasing.

I haven't been drawn on State land since 1986 despite applying every year since. I've done better on the NWR system.

Growing up with the lease system, I made it a priority in early life to fund the purchase of huntable acreage as otherwise this State is the pits.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My dad just passed on a 5 1/2 year old 7 pt. As a Type I managed land, we live with antler restrictions. Branched antler bucks need a 14" spread. I couldn't put that on him by any measure.
Michael
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Ranch Dog wrote:I like your attitude Triggerpull! Hunters here in Texas face the same obstacles, might be worse, as there is little public hunting outside of draw hunts and landowners typically don't grant permission wthout leasing.

I haven't been drawn on State land since 1986 despite applying every year since. I've done better on the NWR system.

Growing up with the lease system, I made it a priority in early life to fund the purchase of huntable acreage as otherwise this State is the pits.
Sounds like Texas is like Maine--a lot of the hunting land is in private hands. I personally find this is a travesty--we pay huge license fees and as far as I can tell get little return in direct benefit. I think it should be state policy that as large tracts of cheap land become available a certain percentage MUST be purchased for future use and enjoyment by the public--otherwise there is a gradual diminishing of hunter's rights as privately-helf land becomes more costly and inaccessible. Downright un-American.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

triggerpull wrote:Sounds like Texas is like Maine--a lot of the hunting land is in private hands. I personally find this is a travesty--we pay huge license fees and as far as I can tell get little return in direct benefit. I think it should be state policy that as large tracts of cheap land become available a certain percentage MUST be purchased for future use and enjoyment by the public--otherwise there is a gradual diminishing of hunter's rights as privately-helf land becomes more costly and inaccessible. Downright un-American.
You won't find an argument from me on this. Last year Texas sold 1.5 million licenses but in comparison there is very little opportunity to hunt. On forums, I've seen individuals mention that they are thinking about moving to Texas and my advice if they are a hunter is don't unless you are willing to give it up. An outsider, is very unlikely to be able to network into finding a lease especially if they move to one of our large cities. Average prices in my area are running about $10 to $12 an acre with one hunter per hundred acres (which is too many in this area). So a hunting lease will cost a fellow $1000 to $1200 a year per person at a minimum.
Michael
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

I've been to many civic meetings were hunting mostly gets banned--what I've observed is that most people nowadays do not see man--and hunting--as a natural part of maintaining a balanced world for wildlife and humans. The attitude is total hands off and let them live happy bambi lives so we can take pictures of them with our kids. In just the past few years deer-vehicle collisions and the spread of Lyme's disease has rocketed exponentially in my area as wealthy large property owners have not only prohibited hunting on their land but have lobbied for enactment or of ordinances that ban deer hunting within townships where there is clearly a deer problem. Hunters are often labeled as blood-thirsty murderers intent on reckless slaughter by people who actually know NOTHING about hunting--and will actually refuse to listen to scientific-based facts.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Well I got the answer to the question I had about the 7 pointer you said you were looking at.
I did mention it was 34 here this morning that dampened any thoughts of shooting. What I
didn't mention was that we were spared the snow that fell in the surrounding areas. As much
as 5 inches and I don't know how much in the higher elevations. Snow drives Southerners crazy
and I've learned over time to stay off the roads when it snows.
I'm several years younger than your Dad but a trek in the woods would probably do me in. Share
all the good times you can.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well heck, my dad missed a heck of a buck yesterday afternoon at 5:00 pm. Three does walked past us at 70 yards and a large 10 point was following them, the deer in the high 150's to low 160's BC range. I waited until he was abeam us and stopped him. At the shot, I thought my dad had a good hit as the deer got really low as it ran but then it stopped and walked into the deep brush. I could see it's eye back in the brush checking everything out for about two minutes and then I could tell it walked away. I was worried about a gut shot.

I took my dad's rifle, I didn't have one, and took off to my north fence line as I figured he was heading that way. While I covered some ground I texted Joe who was hunting about 500 yards away but in the direction we shot. I asked him "hit or miss" and he texted back a "miss". I selected a spot where I thought the deer would appear and after about 7 minutes I heard a grunt. Slowly, I turned and could see him coming 20 yards away in the thick brush and he came out on the cleared fence line about 30 yards away. I was looking on the bullet exit side of the deer and from the visual and his behavior I could tell he was not hit. He stopped at the fence so I got a real good look at him through the Bushnell and I let him jump it. He cleared it by 8' and trotted off, no way a it was a gut shot.

My dad was like a 10 year old that botched a "give-me" shot.
Michael