RD'S Deer Blind ~ 2014

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

RD'S Deer Blind ~ 2014

Post by Ranch Dog »

Opening morning with my Dad and I sitting in his favorite deer stand!

Dad is 85, I'm 60, 50 years of hunting together! It has been very slow, not even any shots off in the distance. Could not be a better way to start a day though!

Dad is hunting with "my" Glenfield 30GT and me with my Rio Grande chambered in 38-55 Win.
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: RD'S Deer Blind ~ 2014

Post by Steelbanger »

Good morning to the Reamy's, 45º and misty here but I am staying indoors today. How can I ever catch up on all the reloading I have to do?

I hope one of those special bucks shows up for your dad Michael. Best wishes for a great day in the blind.

Mr. Milo, good luck sir. I am looking forward to seeing you smiling over a trophy buck.

Frank
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you Frank, I will pass it on. 48° here but clear but we will see our typical 40° temperature swing during the day.

I hope that retirement allows me to catch up on all my reloading!
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I too watched the sunrise from a ground stand this morning. We were in the upper 30°'s .... pretty danged cold this time of year for this East Texas boy. Coldest of the morning was 20-30 minutes after sunrise when a heavy frost settled on the ground in the shaded creek bottom. I saw one monster doe, and my buddy saw two smallish does and a bobcat. At least half a dozen shots off in the distance between 0730 and 0830. Great way to start the season, and really cold wet feet reminded me I haven't gotten around to getting new cold weather boots yet.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great sunrise. Looks like a good time.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Forecast is pretty bad up here--stormy with high winds and heavy rain turning to snow for the next 48 hours. Monday they say it will stop and I plan on being the woods to hopefully meet some hungry buck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:I too watched the sunrise from a ground stand this morning. We were in the upper 30°'s .... pretty danged cold this time of year for this East Texas boy. Coldest of the morning was 20-30 minutes after sunrise when a heavy frost settled on the ground in the shaded creek bottom. I saw one monster doe, and my buddy saw two smallish does and a bobcat. At least half a dozen shots off in the distance between 0730 and 0830. Great way to start the season, and really cold wet feet reminded me I haven't gotten around to getting new cold weather boots yet.
I only heard 3 shots off in the distance between 7:30 and 8:15. Our problem is the quantity of acorns on the ground. I'm not too sad about this as this is what will fuel the deer through the winter.
Michael
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Well--around noon it still hadn't started raining--so I changed my mind, grabbed my gear and rossi and headed out the door. By the time I got to my spot--the rain started. Oh--and guess what--that wonderful hand-load I just developed I left in my range bag at home! Strike two. Rushed to the nearest town and the only place that had 44 was wally world--grabbed a box of federal and headed back to my spot. Rain is coming down good--wind is blowing hard and it's about 39 degrees. I go into the woods which are so thick that it breaks a lot of the wind and rain and decide to scout/still hunt. As I suspected the area appears to be a transition/bedding area--found lots of beds and scat but virtually no tracks, rubs or scrapes. Timing is everything I guess. Got a good soaking--but was still happy for a good hike through the woods. That said--I wish I was the guy I saw on the way out with a big 6-pointer tied to his tailgate.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That's the tail (story)before the prize either a great story or a trophy/fridge full of meat.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Unfortunately--most of my hunting stories have the same ending--nothing tagged--but it's only my second season so I'm still learning.