So what do you shave with?

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: So what do you shave with?

Post by mr surveyor »

like mister a*86, I grew a stache the day I got out of high school, then a full beard at 30 ... scraped my neck once a week or so for about 20 years, then trimmed it down to the stache/goatee look .... for the last 10 years I still only scrape off the excess only once or twice a week. Never did like shaving, but did try a couple of my "forefather's" straight razors a time or two. Nope, not a straight razor kinda guy, and I hear some folks actually can sell all that extra blood.

Funny how 30 years ago the dark brown full beard was downright perfect camo ..... now my face could be mistaken for the South end of a North bound flagging white tail :lol:

jd

still don't like shaving, but I still use one of my long gone grandfather's shaving cups and brushes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Well... I'm 71 and still don't have a heavy beard. I have worn a mustache for years, but couldn't grow a decent beard if I tried. (And I have) I just get that classic "wino" look. I use a Norelco electric razor - works on my puny beard.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've done the beard thing a time or two.
Did the Eric the Awful look at least once but like some of the others I fear my red and blond beard is now fully blonde or flat out white.

One of my coworkers commented on how much I must be saving in the cost of razor blades.
Nope, cost me more than that in extra shampoo.
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

About a year ago now I bought a cheap safety razor kit and a box of a hundred cheap blades from Amazon. I've ordered a couple more boxes of blades and haven't even come close to using the first box up yet. I figured if I liked it I would buy a better razor but the cheapo works just fine. The cheap brush is hog hair and the expensive one is supposed to be badger hair and I have no idea what it brings or if it just lasts longer. The cheap brush is working just fine. The cheap shave soap puck lasted a really long time and actually worked really well. I did try a more expensive one since you can buy fancy soap for a few bucks vice the cheap stuff for a few bucks for a dozen. It's nice and it smells better but it doesnt' work any better. I honestly don't know why we ever moved on from these things. Other than of course they found a way to squeeze more money from us since most of the stuff I bought is from over seas and I don't know if you can even buy US made safety razor stuff. I've not searched that much but I've just not seen it.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I think I've been using the same cartridge in the Gillette for a month.
When I start getting cut up or I start noticing stubble right after I've shaved I'll switch it again.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I think being able to use disposables depends on wallet and type of facial hair. Mine is so coarse. It dulls blades very fast then add sensitive skin. The safety razor wins. So far I have smoother neck less irritations. I'm pleased.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

akuser47 wrote:I think being able to use disposables depends on wallet and type of facial hair. Mine is so coarse. It dulls blades very fast then add sensitive skin. The safety razor wins. So far I have smoother neck less irritations. I'm pleased.

man up, AK .... just get a Bic lighter and burn that tough stuff off :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

To be honest in high school an ex girlfriend had me try naira you wanna talk fiasco. Lol I had chemical burns on my face and chest lol.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

akuser47 wrote:To be honest in high school an ex girlfriend had me try naira you wanna talk fiasco. Lol I had chemical burns on my face and chest lol.

I did that once lighting old crusty black powder on the ground with a match .... took four matches to get it lit .... glad I was back to wearing glasses over my contacts. I did have well trimmed eyebrows (although a bit smelly) for a few weeks :roll:

I'd rather scrape with a sharp rock (original Ulu knife would work) than do what women try.

jd
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Got a buddy who had scads of foster sisters.
At one point his folks got the 3-5 that were there at the time eppilady devices.
He said they were all happy as could be to get them until the first use when there was a blood curdling scream.