Twist Rate in a 45Colt 24" barrel

Tell us a bit about yourself!
92Rossi45Colt

Twist Rate in a 45Colt 24" barrel

Post by 92Rossi45Colt »

Howdy folks, I am the proud new owner of a used 45 Colt 24" lever action Rossi previously used for Cowboy Action Competition Shooting and I have questions. Without a twist rate that seems to be 1:24", how can I accurately select a good powder and a bullet weight and design to reload so I can learn how to shoot the wonderful looking rifle. After shooting 40 rounds and significantly improving my results, I ran out of up adjustment, and I had to shoot 3 quick rounds in the bullseye with my AR just to restore my ego. All of my rounds were in the bottom left quadrant of my splatter target. My last shot hit the bullseye only because I aimed halfway between the center and the top right corner, and this was at 50 yards! I purchased my first 80 rounds, 40 of which were Winchester 255 grain lead round nose, that looked like something made for the poor souls fighting in the Civil War. They looked like crap with dents and lines and marks that looked like the result of my trying to cast lead fishing sinkers 55 years ago. My last 20 rounds were Barnes VOR-TX in 200 grain XPB HP that cost the same and seemed much more professionally made. I was able to keep the last 20 rounds within 2" of the bullseye and actually hit the bullseye on my last shot after a lot of "what the hey!" Help! Is this a pretty rifle that shoots great from 15' ?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Twist Rate in a 45Colt 24" barrel

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome, as to your rifle I am sure she can be dialed in to a sweet spot with a good round. I cannot help on .45 colt I have yet to get one yet. Mine is .357. Rd and others here will be able to give better load info for your rifle.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
92Rossi45Colt

Post by 92Rossi45Colt »

Thanks for responding, it has helped me to understand how the forum works. My twist rate might even be 1:48 inches which seems ridiculous. After a certain level of frustration at 50 yards, my neighbor gave me his 125 round "old" 357 mag 20" SS Rossi and I was able to put 2 out of 3 right in the bullseye with the 3rd just outside. Now I have to learn how to do the same thing with my 45 Colt
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

All the Braztech manufactured R92s use a 1:30 rate of twist regardless of the cartridge chambered.

As far as what works, nowadays it kind of depends what you have available. In that powder and projectiles available is at best spotty, what do you have access to?
Michael