Pyrodex loads

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
jdb

Re: Pyrodex loads

Post by jdb »

Archer wrote:jdb,

The 1917 Enfield isn't part of the Lee Enfield family...

...My comments were as noted not pointed particularly at this specific situation where things may fine. Rather at the implication that, because things are generally designed with a safety margin and that the lawyers tend to increase that margin, that pushing on such a margin is generally safe. Any safety in pushing the limits is very much a matter of the specific circumstances.
Agreed brother! And you are absolutely correct about the Enfield too. I only mention the Mark IV 303 British because it was the British evolution of the Enfield which was one of the first purpose built purely for smokeless powder. Unlike some of the original Mauser action rifles that actually were loaded with black powder ammo. And the difference in cup between them and even modern lever guns reflects it. That was my only point. Well, that and I just flat LOVE my MK IV! ;~)

But the thing is, a modern Marlin 45/70 as per Marlin has a recommended MAX cup of 44,000. Some of the factory 303 British loads are 48,000 cup. So who knows what kinds of pressures those things could take as a maximum? I know for SURE that I wouldn't want to be around when the thing failed! ;~)

The SMAAI date reflects that too. The MAP they list for modern 45/70s is just over half that of the 303 British. Heck, the 45/70s are actually 8,000 psi less than the MAP they list for 44 magnum. Most manufactures load to the lowest common denominator for the caliber.

And we do the same thing...or SHOULD!

As an example, I load some 300 grain wrist twisters for a 44 magnum Super Redhawk that I wouldn't shoot in a Model 29 Smith if someone would pay me a million bucks. I KNOW it would destroy the Smith...and likely my hand. But I also know that the big ol' Ruger can take it. By the same token, I might load up some 45/70 BEAST for a Sharps style rifle...modern replica of course...that I wouldn't even THINK about loading into a Rossi or Marlin lever gun.

As you say, there are just too many possibilities for failure with the design to push boundaries without understanding the designs and variables.

Heck, there are all manner of variables in guns beyond even loads that effect pressures. Even the twist used by individual manufactures effect how much pressure the same round will produce in that gun. Is it a land and groove or groove bore? Is it a free bored or long throated rifle, meaning how quick does the rifling grab the bullet? All effects pressures and all things that we should consider when deciding how far to push something.

As to claims of huge pressures with black powder, I'm with you. I'm gonna take that with a grain of salt. I've never seen any data that supports anything like that and the physics don't support it. As a matter of fact, everything I've read or experienced is the opposite of that. Black powder burns in a VERY different way than modern smokeless powder. If it didn't, there'd be a heck of a lot of dead or left handed ol' boys round here from all the double and triple charges we've shot out of our front stuffers over the years. LOL

It's just not capable of producing the kinds of pressure smokeless does in a unobstructed barrel where there is a place for the pressure to come out. It just flat does not produce the same kind of energy. But even with smokeless powders, there is a HUGE difference in the pressures that different powders can and do produce. Like 4.3 grains of Unique and a 158 grain round will go 920 fps and make about 16,000 psi. while 4.2 gains of Winchester 231 and a 158 grain bullet will go right at 800 fps and make 15,000 psi. 1/10th of grain difference and 1,000 psi increase.

By the way guys, I dug out a couple of my old loading manuals. My Speer book list 22 grains of fffg black powder for a 36 cal cap and ball. Which is the grand-pappy of the modern 38/357, but it list 21 grains of Pyrodex. Now I'm not sure if that is because of the large size of the grains of Pyrodex, which don't compress like black powder, but whatever the reason, they did recommend 1 grain less for the same caliber.

AND, I dug out my pistol flask with a 28 gain measure on it. A 357 magnum brass filled SLAP to the top is 28 grain. By volume of course. So just guessing, by the time you allow room for a bullet so that the round is short enough it will cycle through our Rossi 92s, I guessing the BEST we would be able to stuff into a 357 is about 24-26 gains of black or Pyrodex and maybe 20-22 grains in a 38 special brass. So there is a good place to start for anyone thinking about it. And that's only going to be a few grains more than what Speer recommends for a cap and ball.

But even at that, you'd need to compress the powder quit a bit to get a bullet in them. Not sure how that will work with Pyrodex. Not sure how much packing it will do? Never tried it. I've got 3 or 4 pounds of it, but as I said, I don't use the stuff in my muzzle loader. Too messy and it's inaccurate in my beloved ol' TC Renegade. ;~)

As far as gap goes, have any of you guys ever seen a lodge fire. I have...several times. I've had it happen twice with my Remington New Model Army. Bad powder and thump, I'm cutting a stick to pound out the round! LOL

But as someone else said, the thing I'd be most worried about with using so little black powder that ya have a gap is lodge fire, not an explosion. ;~0

Best advice, know your gun, know your objective, know the data and HAVE FUN!
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

jdb wrote:
Archer wrote:jdb,

The 1917 Enfield isn't part of the Lee Enfield family...

...My comments were as noted not pointed particularly at this specific situation where things may fine. Rather at the implication that, because things are generally designed with a safety margin and that the lawyers tend to increase that margin, that pushing on such a margin is generally safe. Any safety in pushing the limits is very much a matter of the specific circumstances.
Agreed brother! And you are absolutely correct about the Enfield too. I only mention the Mark IV 303 British because it was the British evolution of the Enfield which was one of the first purpose built purely for smokeless powder. Unlike some of the original Mauser action rifles that actually were loaded with black powder ammo. And the difference in cup between them and even modern lever guns reflects it. That was my only point. Well, that and I just flat LOVE my MK IV! ;~)

But the thing is, a modern Marlin 45/70 as per Marlin has a recommended MAX cup of 44,000. Some of the factory 303 British loads are 48,000 cup. So who knows what kinds of pressures those things could take as a maximum? I know for SURE that I wouldn't want to be around when the thing failed! ;~)

The SMAAI date reflects that too. The MAP they list for modern 45/70s is just over half that of the 303 British. Heck, the 45/70s are actually 8,000 psi less than the MAP they list for 44 magnum. Most manufactures load to the lowest common denominator for the caliber.

And we do the same thing...or SHOULD!

As an example, I load some 300 grain wrist twisters for a 44 magnum Super Redhawk that I wouldn't shoot in a Model 29 Smith if someone would pay me a million bucks. I KNOW it would destroy the Smith...and likely my hand. But I also know that the big ol' Ruger can take it. By the same token, I might load up some 45/70 BEAST for a Sharps style rifle...modern replica of course...that I wouldn't even THINK about loading into a Rossi or Marlin lever gun.

As you say, there are just too many possibilities for failure with the design to push boundaries without understanding the designs and variables.

Heck, there are all manner of variables in guns beyond even loads that effect pressures. Even the twist used by individual manufactures effect how much pressure the same round will produce in that gun. Is it a land and groove or groove bore? Is it a free bored or long throated rifle, meaning how quick does the rifling grab the bullet? All effects pressures and all things that we should consider when deciding how far to push something.

As to claims of huge pressures with black powder, I'm with you. I'm gonna take that with a grain of salt. I've never seen any data that supports anything like that and the physics don't support it. As a matter of fact, everything I've read or experienced is the opposite of that. Black powder burns in a VERY different way than modern smokeless powder. If it didn't, there'd be a heck of a lot of dead or left handed ol' boys round here from all the double and triple charges we've shot out of our front stuffers over the years. LOL

It's just not capable of producing the kinds of pressure smokeless does in a unobstructed barrel where there is a place for the pressure to come out. It just flat does not produce the same kind of energy. But even with smokeless powders, there is a HUGE difference in the pressures that different powders can and do produce. Like 4.3 grains of Unique and a 158 grain round will go 920 fps and make about 16,000 psi. while 4.2 gains of Winchester 231 and a 158 grain bullet will go right at 800 fps and make 15,000 psi. 1/10th of grain difference and 1,000 psi increase.

By the way guys, I dug out a couple of my old loading manuals. My Speer book list 22 grains of fffg black powder for a 36 cal cap and ball. Which is the grand-pappy of the modern 38/357, but it list 21 grains of Pyrodex. Now I'm not sure if that is because of the large size of the grains of Pyrodex, which don't compress like black powder, but whatever the reason, they did recommend 1 grain less for the same caliber.

AND, I dug out my pistol flask with a 28 gain measure on it. A 357 magnum brass filled SLAP to the top is 28 grain. By volume of course. So just guessing, by the time you allow room for a bullet so that the round is short enough it will cycle through our Rossi 92s, I guessing the BEST we would be able to stuff into a 357 is about 24-26 gains of black or Pyrodex and maybe 20-22 grains in a 38 special brass. So there is a good place to start for anyone thinking about it. And that's only going to be a few grains more than what Speer recommends for a cap and ball.

But even at that, you'd need to compress the powder quit a bit to get a bullet in them. Not sure how that will work with Pyrodex. Not sure how much packing it will do? Never tried it. I've got 3 or 4 pounds of it, but as I said, I don't use the stuff in my muzzle loader. Too messy and it's inaccurate in my beloved ol' TC Renegade. ;~)

As far as gap goes, have any of you guys ever seen a lodge fire. I have...several times. I've had it happen twice with my Remington New Model Army. Bad powder and thump, I'm cutting a stick to pound out the round! LOL

But as someone else said, the thing I'd be most worried about with using so little black powder that ya have a gap is lodge fire, not an explosion. ;~0

Best advice, know your gun, know your objective, know the data and HAVE FUN!
I've recently purchased some used books from Amazon on this subject, only one of four as yet have arrived but the one so far that has, is the Lyman "Black Powder Handbook & Loading Manual". It's data for straight walled cases is limited but the .38sp is in there. Listed under a 158gr bullet, Pyrodex P, the grains by volume is 18.0, Velocity at 635 and cup pressure at 10,000, keep in mind this is in a 5 1/2" Ruger. Note it's OAL is 1.445. Authors note states all loads listed comprised of a 1/16" compression of powder.
In comparison, the 44 special with Pyrodex P is 26 grains by volume, 1073 velocity, no CUP listed. This is out of a 20" barrel, Winchester M94 using a 240gr bullet.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
jdb

Post by jdb »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:I've recently purchased some used books from Amazon on this subject, only one of four as yet have arrived but the one so far that has, is the Lyman "Black Powder Handbook & Loading Manual". It's data for straight walled cases is limited but the .38sp is in there. Listed under a 158gr bullet, Pyrodex P, the grains by volume is 18.0, Velocity at 635 and cup pressure at 10,000, keep in mind this is in a 5 1/2" Ruger. Note it's OAL is 1.445. Authors note states all loads listed comprised of a 1/16" compression of powder.
In comparison, the 44 special with Pyrodex P is 26 grains by volume, 1073 velocity, no CUP listed. This is out of a 20" barrel, Winchester M94 using a 240gr bullet.
Cool Doc. That's kind of what I was wondering. I'd be interested to know if that 1/16" of compression with Pyrodex is because it's all it will compress or just because it's all they would do.

It also means that in a 357 brass, you could probably get 22-24 grains in it pretty comfortably, which would likely get the velocity up to 800 or better. Which would be about the same as some modern 38 special loads and a VERY fun round to shoot out of the 92. Not to mention, easy on soft home cast so I don't have to use up my good alloy and powders just to plink.

You may be on to something here Doc. I've got all that Pyrodex I'm never going to use for it's purpose, I'm beginning to get on board here a little. ;~)

By the way, I found my little Hodgdon book. It has a section on Pyrodex, of course. It list a few center fire cartridge loads. Mostly for the legacy rounds of course, but both they and the Speer manual say that if your particular load isn't listed in the data, just load the exact same load by volume as with black powder and it will produce similar velocities and pressures. So that should be reassuring. And they both say to set the bullet firmly to the powder, but make no mention about compression at all. So I can only assume that the amount of compression was of no consequence to the loads or they would have mentioned it.

But you know what they say about assuming. ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:The components sit on the bench as I type. Now to find some of that spare time the retired are supposed to have :D .

The plan is to do just a few rounds at about the minimum listed for the 45-70 and then a few more at about the middle of the suggested range. Also going to do a few round for the Sharps and I'm thinking while the powder measure is full I might also throw a few rounds of 45 Colt to try in the 92 and the Blackhawk.

Got to dig out my 35P and see if it still works so I can velocities. Going to be a busy few days with other commitments tossed in.
Got started with the Blackhorn 209 yesterday and so as to not high jack the Pyrodex thread I'll start a new thread in this forum. See you there,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Second book came in today. WOW, what a great source of info. Title is "Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West".
I focused my initial reading of it to pistol cartridge data and loading. Then made my way over to the use of Pyrodex (specificly) and black powder. This next quote jumped out at me..."the exact amount of black powder used is not important. The proper amount is however in how much fills up the case so that the bullets base compress it about 1/16 to 1/8". Any more compression than that will cause the bullets nose to be deformed. The amount of black powder needed to fill the case will vary by its brand. Remington brass is usually thicker and therefore will hold less powder. Winchester brass is thinner and usually hold more. Again I must stress that the exact amount of black powder or Pyrodex used is not important. What is important is that the case be filled and the powder be slightly compressed. Otherwise it does not burn well, and accuracy will suffer"

That is a mouth full and confirms for me that the technicalities of loading with Pyrodex or others is limited to its compression, period. I know much more can be said when discussing the equipment used for safe loading etc., but just at a stand point of how much powder, I am further convinced its a matter of measuring the bullet you are using, knowing how much of that bullet is being seated into the case, filling that case plus the 1/16 to an 1/8 above seat depth and you should never have to alter those measurements again. (for that same style bullet). Record your data and I believe you are good to go.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Case capacity and brass construction has been mentioned.

WRT modern brass vs. black powder era cartridges. The old cartridge cases were mostly if not all balloon head construction up until sometime in the early 1900s and commonly found up until the 1950s or so. I've even read an article about a fellow who ran into a stash of the stuff in the late 80s or 90s. One of the fellows on one of the boards I've belonged to in the last 10 years found a few balloon head cases at that late date.

Modern solid head brass has less case capacity than the old balloon head stuff. You generally cannot get as much black powder in the cases as was loaded back in the day.

The comments about the pressure limits of the .45-70 and the trap door action with smokeless powder being set by the Armory might have some bearing with regard to the brass available as well. I doubt there was much if any solid head brass around at the time. Another thing about the .45-70 that MIGHT have influence is the surface area of the cartridge. PSI times more squre inches means more force on the system.

The comments about brass thickness vs. manufacturer are interesting and in some cases very valid. I think Winchester .45-70 brass is paper thin and after sizing you can deform it badly at the case mouth putting it back in the box much less dropping it on the table. On the other hand Remington .45 ACP brass is noted by some to be thinner than average and Winchester .308 / .30-06 brass USED to weigh the same as military spec brass in those calibers indicating the same thickness / case capacity in a case we are typically warned that military brass is thicker and requires reduced charges.
but just at a stand point of how much powder, I am further convinced its a matter of measuring the bullet you are using, knowing how much of that bullet is being seated into the case, filling that case plus the 1/16 to an 1/8 above seat depth and you should never have to alter those measurements again. (for that same style bullet). Record your data and I believe you are good to go.
That works BUT if you are filling by a volumetric measure the same measure may require adjustment when the brand or lot of cases changes.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

but just at a stand point of how much powder, I am further convinced its a matter of measuring the bullet you are using, knowing how much of that bullet is being seated into the case, filling that case plus the 1/16 to an 1/8 above seat depth and you should never have to alter those measurements again. (for that same style bullet). Record your data and I believe you are good to go.

That works BUT if you are filling by a volumetric measure the same measure may require adjustment when the brand or lot of cases changes.[/quote]

Hey Archer,
The statement is only the tools to do all the things one could do to further organize loading techniques for individual calibers, bullets and even cases used. Nothing worth doing is usually accomplished with a single paragraph, but it can be the thrust to move forward. I believe it was rman whom said he made his own dippers, volume measurements if I may, once a load was determined. In regards to this, I could see for speed and accuracy, individual made "dippers" be made and labeled for your different hand loads. That's what I see myself doing. It will be a little work at first but I'm sure it will pay off in the long run. I have read some serious discord over the subject of volume vs weight charges. It seems like a wasted argument. Whether it's volume or weight, it's still a measurement. Getting it right is the goal. The statement referring to what can happen if more then a 1/8" compression is telling. "Bullet deformity". I have to assume with bullet seating, you could mushroom the head. That also tells me that that powder is not just pan dropped in and then a inside caliber measurement be made for proper height of powder for proper compression. To me it says the powder really needs to be packed. This has been a concern of mine in my initial loading of Pyrodex. After conversing with BCrider, it was apparent from his volume/weight loads were different then mine in a big way. I initially made my inside measurements without tapping down the powder. Later, by simply tapping the case on the work bench and then could see a good drop in the void in the case. There are tools in loading powder in cartridges through a long tube, allowing gravity to accomplish this kind of volume/packing for a proper fitting compressed load. Given the argument for different volumes even in different cases, I see the argument for customized dippers. This may be one project I'm not far behind in, as I'm only loading a 158gr bullet right now over Pyrodex in 38sp and 357. The fact I can control the outcome, tailored to my needs and at no cost, just time is a win win. To quickly recount the home made dippers, empty shell cases cut to length as needed, copper wire soldered on for handles. Consider them your customized home made Lee dippers.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I can vouch for the long drop tube when loading black and since Pyrodex is load volumetric it stands to reason that it should work with it. When I load black powder in my 40-65 I use a 36" drop tube, the OP wad(s) are put one and the charge compress somewhere between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch depending on the bullet being used. The bullet is seated and then crimped in a separate operation. All set to go boom. The long drop tube assures that the powder is pretty well settled in the case so it doesn't take a lot of compression. I've found that I get more consistent results this way. I vary the OP stack to get the seated bullet at about a tenth off the rifling.

Like any other loading a repeatable consistent routine is the key to accurate loads.

Later,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

O3W,
Excuse my ignorance, I know what a wad is but I don't know what a OP wad is, when you tell, I'm sure I'll go da huh, but maybe not, thanks.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

OP

Over

Powder