Biggest baddest bullets for the Rio?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Biggest baddest bullets for the Rio?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Quinc wrote:How do you calculate CUP in your reloads? Also If i stick with the minimum loads in my Lyman 49th manual for the marlin and Winchester I should be fine with the RG? I have a chrony if that helps. :oops:

Sorry about flooding the forum with my n00b questions! =)
I'm sorry I didn't see this the other day Quinc, it was the at the bottom of page one and missed it. No such thing as too many questions on a forum.

As far as calculating CUP, I actually use PSI because I have pressure trace equipment that measures that value. The equipment uses extremely small pressure sensors that are glued, with a special industrial super glue, to the barrel in a position that is at the front of the chamber. A calibration procedure is used to correct the gauge, normally very small adjustments in the neighborhood of 2K PSI, and then you shoot and record the data. The gauge has a pigtail that attaches to a "box" and that box is attached to your laptop. Everything is run by software loaded on the laptop. Along with that, I use QuickLoad to generate all of my suggestions for load data. Against the the pressure trace equipment, I have learned through experience, that it is the most accurate generator I have run across. I find huge errors or differences in published data because it was generated in pressure barrels or with firearms and components that are typically quite different from what you are shooting. If the time is take to really learn QuickLoad, it is the most accurate reloading tool you will ever use.

I have recently started to use the only CUP calculator I have ever seen that is worth a darn. It was created by Tom Myers who owns TMT Enterprises, a shooting software outfit. Tom is one of the smartest guys I ever met. What is inside his head scares me, I don't know how it says in there but the truth is it doesn't. It boils over and out into his products. Anyway, his CUP calculator is part of his Precision Load Records Pro. Loads generated in that calculator and expressed in CUP match results that have been proofed with the pressure trace stuff and QL.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Arktikos wrote:Ranch Dog, I have some BTB 525 PD's if you want I could send you a few.
Arktitkos, the bullets arrived today and have them measured up. Should have a post with the info in a few minutes. Thanks for the quick send for to help a fellow member.
Well you are more than welcome. The amount of knowledge you and others have shared on a daily basis, both here and on Marlin Owners is a tremendous asset for guys like me who are just getting into hand loading.. Glad I could contribute a little something back to this group!
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Quinc wrote:How do you calculate CUP in your reloads? Also If i stick with the minimum loads in my Lyman 49th manual for the marlin and Winchester I should be fine with the RG? I have a chrony if that helps. :oops:

I'm sorry I didn't see this the other day Quinc, it was the at the bottom of page one and missed it. No such thing as too many questions on a forum.

As far as calculating CUP, I actually use PSI because I have pressure trace equipment that measures that value. The equipment uses extremely small pressure sensors that are glued, with a special industrial super glue, to the barrel in a position that is at the front of the chamber. A calibration procedure is used to correct the gauge, normally very small adjustments in the neighborhood of 2K PSI, and then you shoot and record the data. The gauge has a pigtail that attaches to a "box" and that box is attached to your laptop. Everything is run by software loaded on the laptop. Along with that, I use QuickLoad to generate all of my suggestions for load data. Against the the pressure trace equipment, I have learned through experience, that it is the most accurate generator I have run across. I find huge errors or differences in published data because it was generated in pressure barrels or with firearms and components that are typically quite different from what you are shooting. If the time is take to really learn QuickLoad, it is the most accurate reloading tool you will ever use.

I have recently started to use the only CUP calculator I have ever seen that is worth a darn. It was created by Tom Myers who owns TMT Enterprises, a shooting software outfit. Tom is one of the smartest guys I ever met. What is inside his head scares me, I don't know how it says in there but the truth is it doesn't. It boils over and out into his products. Anyway, his CUP calculator is part of his Precision Load Records Pro. Loads generated in that calculator and expressed in CUP match results that have been proofed with the pressure trace stuff and QL.
Expensive. :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Sometimes I want to develop a load around a particular bullet that will maximize the attributes that I want (accuracy, range, stopping power, cost, minimum recoil, peak pressure).
Experience will usually narrow the range of powders to half a dozen choices.
I have a whole library of reloading manuals and a look at the bullet manufacturers manual and the powder manufacturer's manual gives me a good idea what my starting load should be and work up from 90% ideal charge weight.
I prefer the manuals that give the pressures measured during the data development testing in either CUP or PSI.
I've loaded many rounds since I started reloading back in the 70's and last inventory I still had all my body parts and have never damaged or blew up a gun.
I had a Powley calculator way back when but haven't seen it in a while.
Must be buried under some dust balls in a dark drawer corner somewhere.
I think it was only good for IMR powders or something like that.
Haven't seen it in years.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

They have an online Powley Calculator at:
http://kwk.us/powley.html
Don't know how accurate or useful it is but the price is user friendly. :)
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Unless a person is financially blessed and has the pressure barrels with the piezoelectric or copper cylinder pressure measuring equipment and the complimentary hardware and software it is all just theoretical conjecture and educated speculation.
No two rifle barrels are the same even for identical models and manufacturing runs.
What is safe in your barrel might not be safe in mine or vice versa regardless of what theoretical algorithm you might be using.
We have our "rule of thumb" overt indications of pressure that we have used over the years to keep us out of the catastrophic destruction danger zone like flattened & deformed case heads, difficult extraction, blown primers and expanded primer holes to name a few and we have all been relatively successful considering that we have enough eyes and fingers left to type on a keyboard.
Unless we are fortunate enough to have the measuring equipment to tell us exactly what is happening with our load and our gun in our test environment in real time we are essentially groping in the dark but intelligent planning, the use of predictive algorithms, due diligence and common sense can bias the odds against an injurious accident greatly in our favor. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Another factor I forgot to mention is that things that should stay the same sometimes don't stay the same.
I have older lots of smokeless powder from various times and powders do change from lot to lot and year to year.
This is not because of chemical deterioration of the powder but because of slight differences incurred during manufacturing.
I have 2 x 5 year old canisters of IMR 3031 and that IMR 3031 is slower than the identical designated powder I bought last week.
I get sticky extraction using the same maximum load formula I developed with the earlier lot of IMR 3031 if I use an identical charge of the newer powder.
This is not my imagination and I know how to store powder.
Powder manufacturing is apparently not an exact science.
So predictive algorithms like any predictive tool we use are just an indication (educated guess) of how a test load will perform and you never know for sure until you pull the trigger.
The best we can do is use due diligence, prudence, accepted safety standards and practises and common sense to weigh the odds against an injurious accident vastly in our favor.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Ranch Dog wrote:

And I thought I spent to much money on this hobby! =)

pricedo wrote:They have an online Powley Calculator at:
http://kwk.us/powley.html
Don't know how accurate or useful it is but the price is user friendly. :)
Can't wait to check this out!
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson