Biggest baddest bullets for the Rio?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Biggest baddest bullets for the Rio?

Post by Quinc »

I have given up on the 458 Socom, and am now looking at the Rossi Rio 45-70. Only reason I really want it is so I can throw 500+ grain bullets down range, and I really want a lever action. So two birds one stone. 8-)

I reload and plan to shoot 99% cast bullets, and was hoping some reloaders could let me know what the biggest bullet is that will feed? I will shoot mostly the MO 350 and 405gr bullets, but would like the option to throw some of the more ridiculous ones down range as well. :twisted:

Also will it shoot the solid bullets like the Barns 500gr TSX?
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/22530
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ductId/563
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Biggest baddest bullets for the Rio?

Post by pricedo »

Quinc wrote:I have given up on the 458 Socom, and am now looking at the Rossi Rio 45-70. Only reason I really want it is so I can throw 500+ grain bullets down range, and I really want a lever action. So two birds one stone. 8-)

I reload and plan to shoot 99% cast bullets, and was hoping some reloaders could let me know what the biggest bullet is that will feed? I will shoot mostly the MO 350 and 405gr bullets, but would like the option to throw some of the more ridiculous ones down range as well. :twisted:

Also will it shoot the solid bullets like the Barns 500gr TSX?
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/22530
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ductId/563
Maybe the dinosaurs will return and you'll have a practical use for those "brontobullet" loads.
Friend of mine has acquired a RG in .45/70 on my recommendation and finds that the 405 grainers can be uploaded to very respectable ballistics in the RG without having to do major surgery (chamber reaming and suchlike) to the gun to facilitate cycling.
If a whitetail or brush hogs heart & lungs are mincemeat how much deader can it get. ;)
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Don't you watch Falling Skies? You never know when you might have to shoot at a mec or a skidder. :mrgreen:

I guess the right question would be what is the max OAL that can still reliably feed in the Rio Grande?

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Quinc wrote:I guess the right question would be what is the max OAL that can still reliably feed in the Rio Grande?
Not much experience base with the rifle as yet, you might be the fellow that provides the answer for your choices. Every bullet has a different length, nose length, and ogive. I have just worked with cast bullets which introduces different diameters in the mix so I cannot offer any help with your choices.
Michael
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Quinc wrote:I guess the right question would be what is the max OAL that can still reliably feed in the Rio Grande?
Not much experience base with the rifle as yet, you might be the fellow that provides the answer for your choices. Every bullet has a different length, nose length, and ogive. I have just worked with cast bullets which introduces different diameters in the mix so I cannot offer any help with your choices.

Do you have the 45-70? Can you talk me into it please! =) Palmetto has them right now for 419 shipped. If you do have one what is the biggest cast bullet you are able to feed?

Looks like beartooth bullets makes a 525gr bullet just for lever actions! :D Now the question is what will the Rossi handle and why in the heck doesn't Rossi have this info readily available? Can the Rossi handle 40k CUP?

http://beartoothbullets.com/open_sight/ ... ght.htm/21

Jacko

Post by Jacko »

I was messing around with what overall length and if my Rio Grande 45.70 would chamber 500 gr rnfp Proj the other Day. Using a Westcast 500 gr rnfp commercial hardcast I seated a proj long and eventually arrived at 2.575 where the Rifle would feed from the magazine and chamber.

These proj only have a .330" wide metplat and the nose of the proj begins to taper to the metplat from just after the crimp groove unlike other big Proj with wider metplats I've seen that seem to have less taper after the crimp groove.

I have been looking around and have not found an off the Shelf 450 gr - 500 gr Bullet Mould that I am confident would Chamber but am considering Mountain Moulds http://mountainmolds.com/ He has a unique feature where you can play with an online programme and design your own Proj. http://mountainmolds.com/

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Quinc wrote: Now the question is what will the Rossi handle and why in the heck doesn't Rossi have this info readily available
Rossi's only obligation is to make the rifle function with factory ammo at the CIP or SAAMI spec. They, like other manufacturers, specifically mention that the use of handloaded ammo voids the warranty on the rifle.
Quinc wrote:Can the Rossi handle 40k CUP?
I personally do not think so. Please remember that the RG is a 336 clone, not a 1895 clone. There is a lot less "meat" at the receiver where the barrel threads meet it. I have pressure trace tested the rifle at 35.0K PSI. From my measurements of the chambers of my various Marlins, the pressure trace work I have done with them, and a comparison of that against the Rio Grande, that is all I am comfortable shooting this rifle at.

As far as the Beartooth bullets go you might see if someone would send you a couple of samples. Oh that's not going to work. Let me see if I can find someone that will send me a couple to look at.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I asked for help here if you want to watch what happens:
BTB's Shooter's Forum
Michael
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Jacko wrote:I was messing around with what overall length and if my Rio Grande 45.70 would chamber 500 gr rnfp Proj the other Day. Using a Westcast 500 gr rnfp commercial hardcast I seated a proj long and eventually arrived at 2.575 where the Rifle would feed from the magazine and chamber.

These proj only have a .330" wide metplat and the nose of the proj begins to taper to the metplat from just after the crimp groove unlike other big Proj with wider metplats I've seen that seem to have less taper after the crimp groove.

I have been looking around and have not found an off the Shelf 450 gr - 500 gr Bullet Mould that I am confident would Chamber but am considering Mountain Moulds http://mountainmolds.com/ He has a unique feature where you can play with an online programme and design your own Proj. http://mountainmolds.com/

regards Jacko
Do you sell your cast bullets? I don't have the time or any desire to cast my own. Rolling my own takes enough time. And living in Komifornia where lead wheel weights are out lawed makes it hard to get cheap sources of lead. :(
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Quinc wrote: Now the question is what will the Rossi handle and why in the heck doesn't Rossi have this info readily available
Rossi's only obligation is to make the rifle function with factory ammo at the CIP or SAAMI spec. They, like other manufacturers, specifically mention that the use of handloaded ammo voids the warranty on the rifle.
Quinc wrote:Can the Rossi handle 40k CUP?
I personally do not think so. Please remember that the RG is a 336 clone, not a 1895 clone. There is a lot less "meat" at the receiver where the barrel threads meet it. I have pressure trace tested the rifle at 35.0K PSI. From my measurements of the chambers of my various Marlins, the pressure trace work I have done with them, and a comparison of that against the Rio Grande, that is all I am comfortable shooting this rifle at.

As far as the Beartooth bullets go you might see if someone would send you a couple of samples. Oh that's not going to work. Let me see if I can find someone that will send me a couple to look at.
How do you calculate CUP in your reloads? Also If i stick with the minimum loads in my Lyman 49th manual for the marlin and Winchester I should be fine with the RG? I have a chrony if that helps. :oops:

Sorry about flooding the forum with my n00b questions! =)