RIP Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

RIP Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 (#711545) is my favorite rifle scope! I was turned on to this scope about twenty years ago now and ended up owning near 50 of them at one time. I had one on every rifle that I own except my scout rifles and still own 27 of them. Looking through this compact variable , I have taken all kinds of big game animals and to this day remain impressed.

Earlier this year, I had two that I thought need go back for the no questions asked warranty. One was a newly purchased scope from Optics Planet that any turret movement did not move the crosshairs and the other had been removed from service so long ago that I really did not remember what I thought wrong with it. Within a few weeks, I received two of the 1.75-4.5x32 scopes back. These are the shotgun scopes with the CircleX reticle, not what I had sent in.

I finally got a number of projects caught up and fired off an email to a contact I have at Bushnell about the mis-shipment. I received a note back that said to box the replacement scopes up and send them back. The message went on to say that the 711545 had been discontinued and that a 611546 has replaced it, an updated version, but it would not be ready for distribution until the end of the month. Once available, I would be sent two of the new scopes.

I don't know anything about the new scope but I assume it will be more or less a direct replacement. It is funny how I reacted though, I felt like I had lost a friend. I did some checking in a reference I have and the 711545 has been in production since 1968, 46 years! I've always thought myself a progressive kind of guy but I guess not. I'm sure the new model will be better than the last but it is weird that my little favorite has bit the dust!
71-1545.jpg
RIP My Friend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: RIP Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32

Post by rman »

I hate it when they discontinue something I really like. I feel like I should play taps for your Busnells. :cry:
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Agreed i dont like it when things change:shock: most times for the better but tuff when u get use to somthing
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Why do I have this feeling it won't be for the better?
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

This does stink!!! I plan on having a Savage in 223 in the next couple months for the front of the ATV. I was planning on purchasing this scope now I have to do some research.... :cry:

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Why do I have this feeling it won't be for the better?
Because change seldom is...
Tuco Ramirez wrote:This does stink!!! I plan on having a Savage in 223 in the next couple months for the front of the ATV. I was planning on purchasing this scope now I have to do some research.... :cry:
In a month or two, within a few weeks of receiving the scopes, I will have a report for you. Honestly, shooting the Weaver K4 Classic Scout on my R92 has made me think about how little I use a variable power scope. Honestly, most of my 1.5-4.5X32 Banners have never been rolled off the maximum magnification in their lifetime. I wish Bushnell made a fixed, compact 4X32. Their entire lineup seems to be variable power scopes. Weaver has a K4 Classic that I've considered. It is around $100 more than what I've been paying for the little Bushnell but the K4 Classic Scout has gotten my attention so it's brother should as well.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Keep us posted... I have owned several Weavers through the years and they make a good scope. My favorite scope was a Redfield Bearcub 6x fine crosshair my Dad has on a Sako 243 Win. I can still find them on ebay but man are they proud of those old scopes.

Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

Check Natchez for good scope prices including some close outs. I buy most of mine there. I like Weaver
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Ranch Dog wrote:Honestly, most of my 1.5-4.5X32 Banners have never been rolled off the maximum magnification in their lifetime. I wish Bushnell made a fixed, compact 4X32. Their entire lineup seems to be variable power scopes. Weaver has a K4 Classic that I've considered. It is around $100 more than what I've been paying for the little Bushnell but the K4 Classic Scout has gotten my attention so it's brother should as well.
This is the only Bushnell fixed 4x I could find, and I'm not crazy about the reticle:

http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-s ... -x-reticle#
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Strawdawg wrote:Check Natchez for good scope prices including some close outs. I buy most of mine there. I like Weaver
Natchez won't ship everywhere and shipping to the left coast tends to be pretty expensive.
I did get some of their Nitrex by Weaver scopes before ATK relabeled them Weaver Super Slams at a pretty good price.

I need to replace a Simmons that was on a Ruger 10/22 I bought and a Tasco that I acquired the same way.
I just picked up a new Redfield that I'm going to stick on the Savage 243 once I pick up the base and rings to match. I'm thinking Leupold or Warne rings and a full PRI rail.

While we are talking about scopes, they ought to come with a good set of lenses covers. Not uncovered and not a couple of loose Chinese plastic caps connected by a couple elastic strings and not one of those darned 'scope bikinis' either. Something that FITS and if a flip up design won't fall off under recoil from 100 shots much less a half dozen.