Forearm Tip Fit Question

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Forearm Tip Fit Question

Post by akuser47 »

Thanks for the info I have many hand fils so I will be able to do mine as well thank you for the info hope you start feeling better. Look like you have a great property from that post I read and what I saw. Now just make sure you are around to enjoy it. sound like your ol lady I bet lol, thanks again for the info
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

Mine was bad as well. I relieved the screw's path in the barrel and mag tube with a round needle file*, removed a slight bit of wood from the forend near the shoulder the bamd stops against and squeazed the band a bit narrower before reinstalling and it's still not perfect.

My possible future correction is to buy the pieces to put on a forend cap and elininate the bands completely. Even though mine is a 16" carbine, I have also considered shortining the tube to five rounds and buying or making parts to attach the end of the tube to a dovetail-mounted hanger of some sort. It's a neat little gun but I have not decided if it's worth putting the time, effort and money into it because I would then be tempted to replace the cheesey wood. Stock AND forearm were spit - out of the box. It's holding together well enough for how I use it right now, so........

*You can't take much out of the mag tube before getting into the inside of it, so be careful not to create a protrusion that could hang up on case rims.
jnewell

Post by jnewell »

I'll relate my own experience with my recent 92. Out of the box, it was pretty much the same situation as described above.

First attempt: relieve both the holes in the forearm with a round needle file; relieve the cut in the barrel with a chainsaw file. Not much was required on either part, but even with a clear and well aligned set of holes, no luck.

Second attempt: examine the screw and band to make sure all threads are intact (check)...observed condition prior to disassembly: the screw is too short. With the screw properly aligned in the band hole, a few LIGHT taps with a NYLON-faced hammer (2oz) seems to seat the screw and allows it to be tightened with normal pressure on the screwdriver. Edit to clarify that a bit: in theory the same result would be achieved with a little more downward force on the screwdriver, but even with a perfectly fitted driver bit, it's very easy to slip, with resulting damage to the band and forearm finish. YMMV!

What I think it really needs is a screw that is just a little longer and has a slight taper where the threads begin. :roll:
Last edited by jnewell on 04 May 2013 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I used to ask myself when I hit a particularly perplexing bottleneck........"pricedo, are we having fun yet?"
Then I'd chuckle and go for a walk to the local Starbucks and come back with a retread attitude and solve the problem.
Take your time and don't make mistakes because of fatigue and frustration.
Your mind will function better and you'll see things much clearer after a coffee break.
The way Rossi threw the forearms on some of the newer guns is a disgrace.
It would have been easier and cheaper to fit the forearms properly.
Oddly enough my 3 Amadeo Rossi 92s didn't have the same problems with bad fitting forearms.
That seems to have been a Braztech issue.
I can only speak for my 3 guns and they didn't have poor fitting forearms.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Fullthrottle

Post by Fullthrottle »

pricedo wrote: The way Rossi threw the forearms on some of the newer guns is a disgrace.
It would have been easier and cheaper to fit the forearms properly.
Oddly enough my 3 Amadeo Rossi 92s didn't have the same problems with bad fitting forearms.
That seems to have been a Braztech issue.
I can only speak for my 3 guns and they didn't have poor fitting forearms.

Unfortunatly my 92 in .357 20"barrel has this exact issue. When I took the rifle down for my first clean and fluff and buff, I removed the barrel band just to find the band did not want to come off. At that time I figured I will remove it later. I went to put the screw back in and noticed two things, one the threads were slightly bunged up and second, the head of the screw was ground down all funny like!
I played hell trying to get it to screw back in, with enough pressure(thankfully no slipping) it finaly screwed back together. Now I want a few replacement parts(just in case) before I try to remove the handguard again and remedy the issue.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Well hopefully in a few months I will have a new 92. I have to believe Dixie Gun Works has a screw that will replace the too short factory one. Finding it is the question... :D
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

From experience, the forearm and band fit has been my primary area of concern with the R92. It is really the only area of issue I have had with my rifles. With the barrel having the heck torqued out of it for the fit I've seen, the rifle can NEVER live up to its accuracy potential.

I have a post in this forearm about my ventures into this area. It should be one of the identified topics at the bottom of the page.
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

RD,
What about that screw that goes through the magazine plug, into the recess in the barrel and pushes down on the mag tube. I assume it is there to keep the mag tube down so that the groove in the mag cant jump over the screw. What effect does that up pressure right at the muzzle have on accuracy?

Don Huff
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

donhuff wrote:RD,
What about that screw that goes through the magazine plug, into the recess in the barrel and pushes down on the mag tube. I assume it is there to keep the mag tube down so that the groove in the mag cant jump over the screw. What effect does that up pressure right at the muzzle have on accuracy?
To me, it would seem to affect the mag tube more than the barrel in that tube is so light in construction. The Marlins have taught me to go with "hand tight" on everything and check them often to make sure they aren't loose.The only issue I have had with shots stringing as the barrel heated up are on My 92s that the forearm had been really torqued to thread the screw through. Adjusting the barrel relief cured the pressure on the barrel and stringing.
Michael
jnewell

Post by jnewell »

M.L. McPherson wrote a great book some years back called "Accurizing the Factory Rifle." IIRC, one of his points was to eliminate stresses like you're describing.