First Impressions of my Rio Grande 45.70

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Jacko

First Impressions of my Rio Grande 45.70

Post by Jacko »

I picked up my Rossi 45.70 Rio Grande on Thursday night after waiting a couple of months for it to arrive in stock and then another month for the Queensland Weapons Licencing Branch to approve my Permit to Aquire.

First impression was Good – The Action is quite Smooth out of the Box and I was impressed with the Big Loop Lever, fits my hand well. It has a nice Deep Blue Job with no prominent tool marks, the Brazilian Swamp Wood is quite attractive with some Grain showing, a light Tan / Red Tint and a smooth Matt Finish. It is fitted with a vented rubber Recoil Pad. The Rifle balances well and comes to the shoulder with my eye in line with the Iron Sights which are a step up over the Irons my Rossi M92 and my Marlin 1894 came with. The rear is a deep semi Buckhorn and the dovetail mounted front sight has a large brass bead

You can remove the Bolt with these Rio Grande's to facilitate cleaning from the breech in the same manor as the Marlins. The Screw that holds the Big Loop Lever in place is locktited also so it took some work with a proper fitting screwdriver to get it out. It stayed tight with the few rounds I shot on Saturday.

I was going to fit a Leopold VX3 1 -5 x 20 I have on my Lee Enfield 35.303 but the first time I handled the Rifle it screamed "Iron Sights" so I took off the the factory Scope Rail the minute I got it home. Got me buggered why Rossi paint the Scope Mount Gloss Black when it’s blued under the paint ? It's not as deep a Blue as the rest of the Rio Grande though. They are not shy with the Locktite either, plenty on the Screw Threads so it would stay put ! It uses 6 /48” screws and not 8/48” screws as the Marlins do

My Rossi M92 is not fitted with all the Lawyer Safety features and I was hoping this Rio Grande would not be as most other Rossi's I've seen here are not. The Hammer is fitted with the Taurus Security system and a crossbolt safety - Don't see the point in either and both will be dealt with accordingly

It is light, lighter than my 1894 Marlin .44 Mag so I expected Recoil to be stout especially as the first shots where over a Bench so I could work the sights out. I was surprised, a bit of a Pussycat actually. I wasn’t shooting visitor loads [ heavy loads just for Mates when they want a shot of your new Rife ] - 45 grains Reloader 7 under a 300 gr JHP, I guess approx 1900 fps. I didn’t perceive it much sharper than my 35.303 and the Forend did not jump as much as my .44 Mag does. The Big Loop Lever shines, all my other Lever Rifles are a little uncomfortable with my fingers in the Loop under recoil.

I did make one little Boo Blue, let my left hand creep up the Forend and under recoil the Sling Swivel Stud woke me up when it smacked a bad cut I have on my left Forefinger

As nice a sight picture the Iron Sights have they are useless with the Load I was shooting, impacts approx 7” high, I need a taller front sight. I will buy some Westcast Gold Match 350 grain Coated projectiles and shoot them until I make a decision on which Cast Bullet Mould I need. I'll work up a slower load that puts me on target between 50 and 100 metres.

I have Ranchdog Moulds for my .357 and .44 that shoot really well and would really like the RD 425 gr Mould but I understand due to the SAAMI spec Chamber I need to use a shorter overall length in order for them to Chamber. Perhaps I'll save for the RD300 gr Mould as a stop Gap until I can get a Reamer for the Heavier Projectiles

I have always intended to shoot 350 to 450 gr projectiles, perhaps the factory sights will work out with the heavier slower pills ? I have a .394 high Globe Sight in my tackle box but I think I’d need to change to a taller rear sight if I used it, I’ll do the math soon. I can see a Tang Sight, perhaps a Receiver Peep eventually gracing the Rifle.

I did not get to do much more than start to run the Bore in but all shots once I worked out the elevation printed in a tight group off a wobbly rest. The trigger was a real surprise, quite light and crisp. As good as the trigger on my pre Remington 1894 Marlin. I'm sure the Action will continue to smooth up the more I shoot it for a while yet. Overall I'm wrapt with this Rifle, I can't believe the value for money they represent for $635. Yes Folks we pay a premium for Firearms in Australia, A 45.70 Marlin would have set me back over $1000 on special.

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First Impressions of my Rio Grande 45.70

Post by Ranch Dog »

Excellent write up Jacko! Still loving mine, I had hoped to ream the throat of mine today but some work on my 92 kept me tied up. Hope to do it tomorrow.
Michael
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

Through the week I made a 1" Sling and a Stock Cover with 5 Cartridge Loops. I like narrow Slings, they carry better, especially when you are wearing a Pack

I Tooled a Warthog into the Stock Cover to make it a Little Bit Fancy

I did some Maths and worked out I need a .064" Taller Front Sight if I stuck with last weeks 300 gr JHP at 1900 fps Load

I had a Buckhorn from my Rossi 92 in my Tacklebox so I swapped, it is .330" high Vs the Rio Grande's .350" It had the same .387" Dovetail. While I had the Drift out I decided to check the Front Sight, .397" High .387" Dovetail. It is taller than the Lyman Globe Sight I have so there goes that option.

I put together a new slower Load - 50 Gr Varget 350 gr Westcast RNFP proj CCI 200 primers 2.530 OAL, guessing 1500 FPS - First 3 Shots 5" High compared to the 300 gr Proj shooting 7" High. I removed the adjustment Slide from the Rear Sight. It then zeroed at 50 Yards. The load shot Ok but I feel groups would shrink if I upped the Charge. Burned nice and clean and the Coating on the projectiles did it's Job, no Leading. I could File the Groove Deeper in the Buckhorn but I would be better served with a taller Front Sight as I want adjustment in the Rear Sight

Curiosity got the better of me so I made a dummy Round using a 500 grain Wetscast RNFP Proj seated to 2.540" OAL. I was given 200 of these Proj. It Feed and Chambered flawlessly which was pleasing seeing as I have read of possible drama's with such big projectiles. I must take some measurments and see how they compare to Ranchdogs 425 gr Mould. I bought this Rifle with a view to Shooting Projectiles such as the RD 350 and 425 grainers. I've haven't started reseaching Load Data for these 500 gr Proj yet, will be an interesting exercise. Now this is a Proj that will shoot with a curved enough trajectory to suit the Factory Sight's :lol:

In the next week I will fit a Williams Foolproof Receiver Sight I have spied on EBay and provided any Gunshops within 100 Miles stock it, buy a suitable extra high Aftermarket Sight Blade I can File down / Shim if required. I have further load development and 2 Hunts planned over the next month so I need these Sight sorted out. I might even try brazing a section of Brass onto an old Front Sight I have. Actually that should read ask my genius with Brazing Mate to do it for me, good excuse for a Beer anyway.

Further reports next weekend

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Can't speak for the .45-70 but I will say that the .30-30 Win version is every levergunners dream come true.........slick as frog's snot, best trigger I've ever seen on a levergun, "bolt action" accurate and good looking to boot.........all the nice thing the girls used to say about ME 40 years ago. ;)
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

The safety on the 92 can be removed and replaced in about 2 min. using http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?m ... ducts_id=4 If you don't loose the parts you remove it can be put back if you decide to sell it later. Not sure how it works on the Rio Grande but might be the same parts.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:The safety on the 92 can be removed and replaced in about 2 min. using http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?m ... ducts_id=4 If you don't loose the parts you remove it can be put back if you decide to sell it later. Not sure how it works on the Rio Grande but might be the same parts.
The safety on the RG is a cross-bolt like that used on the Marlins.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:
joec wrote:The safety on the 92 can be removed and replaced in about 2 min. using http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?m ... ducts_id=4 If you don't loose the parts you remove it can be put back if you decide to sell it later. Not sure how it works on the Rio Grande but might be the same parts.
The safety on the RG is a cross-bolt like that used on the Marlins.
Thanks Ranch Dog, I downloaded the manual and saw the difference in them.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've actually gotten to where I appreciate the cross-bolt safety on my Marlins and my two RG. In all the hunting that is done around here, I like seeing it used when fellow are moving in and out of the tower blinds and in other handling situations. I wouldn't mind the same thing on the R92 but the twisty tail is a bit cheezy.
Michael
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

G/Day Fella's, been an entertaining Day getting to know my new Rio Grande

Been playing with fitting the Foolproof Receiver Sight I had on my 1894 Marlin. This model is listed to fit the 1894 and 336. The Mounting Holes have the correct spacing, the Rio Grande does use smaller Screws but this is no great drama. I was not happy with how low it mounted due to the top of the Rio Grande's Receiver is not as thick and does not have the Chamfered Edges of the 1894. The Foolproof is profiled to follow the Marlins contours. Sure it will mount up but I lost fully 1/4 of the Click Adjustments winding the Sight up so the contours of the Sight would allow the mounting plate to sit flush on the receiver. Was not happy with this as I already have issues with the Factory Front Sight being too Low.

Was also messing around with what OAL my Rio Grande would Cycle and Chamber today. Not sure this unfo if of any use to you Folks in the USA as I was using Aussie commercial Hardcast Projectiles

Westcast 500 gr RNFP crimped in the middle of the Crimp Groove OAL 5.540 it Chambered Eassily. These Proj are near as I can measure 1.225" long, middle of Crimp Groove to Metplat .430" Metplat is .325 wide. Bullet Diameter .459. Interesting thing is that there was no significant Case Bulge caused buy this long Projectile which I had read previously may be an issue with Chambering

Next I tried Westcast 350 gr RNFP Projectiles and through my Rifle it will reliably Feed from the Magazine and Chamber at 2.575. It will work at 2.585 as well but the Bolt is looking like it wants to snag the Cartridge Rim.

Near as I can measure Westcast's 350 gr RNFP has the following dimentions - Proj is .895" long. middle of Crimp Groove to Metplat .430 and the Metplat is .325 wide .459 Dia

It's good to know I have .035 more Seating Depth tp play with in regards to the 500 gr Proj

I'm going to do a little research and see if I can find a Gas Checked Mould in the 350 gr to 400 gr Range that has dimentions that fall inside the 2 extremes of these 350 gr and 500 gr Westcast RNFP proj. The fact that a Cartridge 2.575 long Feed and Chambered flawlessly has gotta be working in my Favour

Ranchdog after seeing this I wonder if your 350 gr Proj is a 2.550 possibility in my Rifle ?? I don't want to Trim Cases and if I don't have to spend money on a Reamer I won't.

I have also started making a new Front Sight. I have taken an Australian Half Penny and cut it down. Then I cut the Blade off the Front Blade that was supplied on my M92 Rossi [ it was too Short as well ] and have cut a Slot for the cut down Half Penny to sit in. I'll buy the correct Solder toomorrow and finish it. Will have to wait for next weekend though before I can Fit it

regards Jacko

regards Jacko

-Charles Darwin
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

good work get us some pics of your penny sight when you have her finished up sounds interesting. The contrast in color should help it stand out as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!