First Impressions of my Rio Grande 45.70

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: First Impressions of my Rio Grande 45.70

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I've actually gotten to where I appreciate the cross-bolt safety on my Marlins and my two RG. In all the hunting that is done around here, I like seeing it used when fellow are moving in and out of the tower blinds and in other handling situations. I wouldn't mind the same thing on the R92 but the twisty tail is a bit cheezy.
I'm like the little cross bolt safety on the RG for the same reason. I like to cycle all my hunting cartridges through the guns that will be hosting them for the hunt as a last minute Murphy's Law insurance precaution.
I usually do that in my shop.
The cross bolt safety could prevent a hole in the ceiling or a missing toe should the trigger be pressed for whatever reason.
It's not really very conspicuous...........not nearly as much of an "eye sore" as the bolt safety switch on the R92s which sits right out in the open :x .
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:I'm like the little cross bolt safety on the RG for the same reason. I like to cycle all my hunting cartridges through the guns that will be hosting them for the hunt as a last minute Murphy's Law insurance precaution.
The cross bolt safety could prevent a hole in the ceiling or a missing toe should the trigger be pressed for whatever reason.
It's not really very conspicuous...........not nearly as much of an "eye sore" as the bolt safety switch on the R92s which sits right out in the open :x .
I resisted going to the safety plug by Gunz for awhile on my 92. The first time I fired the rifle in competition with NCOWS I saw it had to go. I must of hit if 3 out of 5 sets locking it on. Removed it and never looked back, don't miss it either as even the sight picture looks better without it distracting me.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jacko wrote:Ranchdog after seeing this I wonder if your 350 gr Proj is a 2.550 possibility in my Rifle ?? I don't want to Trim Cases and if I don't have to spend money on a Reamer I won't
Jacko,

My TLC460-350-RF is designed to be used with SAAMI length brass (2.015) at a 2.500" OAL. I cannot chamber a round in my Rio Grande at that length. I looked for a little bit this evening for the OAL I've determined for each of three of my bullets but could not find the info. Sizing from .460" to .459" did not impact the length.

I got set to ream the chamber on my rifle with the Pacific Tool I ordered but the barrel is going to be need to be removed. That puts this project on a hold for quite a bit until I have several hours of free time. That's "code" for now might happen in 3 to 5 years as I have zero free time. I had Lee Special Order case trimmers made at the three lengths I had determined early this year. So for now, that is the way I will go.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:
pricedo wrote:I'm like the little cross bolt safety on the RG for the same reason. I like to cycle all my hunting cartridges through the guns that will be hosting them for the hunt as a last minute Murphy's Law insurance precaution.
I resisted going to the safety plug by Gunz for awhile on my 92. The first time I fired the rifle in competition with NCOWS I saw it had to go. I must of hit if 3 out of 5 sets locking it on. Removed it and never looked back, don't miss it either as even the sight picture looks better without it distracting me.
My 92s (20" .454 Casull, 16" .44 Mag, 16" .357 Mag) are all Amadeo Rossi M92s not Braztech R92s and NEVER did have a safety switch on the bolt.
I've seen the R92s in shops and was not impressed by the bolt safety.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA