Biscuits

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Biscuits

Post by Archer »

Sorry, I'll try to be better about staying on topic.
(However I'm not the one that started with the olive oil in a gun lube thread...)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:Sorry, I'll try to be better about staying on topic.
(However I'm not the one that started with the olive oil in a gun lube thread...)
It is all good.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Yeah, but who suggested using my dirty tequila glass for cutting biskits :lol:

I've always found mild thread diversions, after the original topic has been covered, to be entertaining. A bit of good natured humor is good for the soul.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I don't believe in those yankee biscuits that have sugar added to the mix. IF I wanted a doughnut I'd start out making them instead of biscuits.

(And I've always wondered WHY commercial and cookbook 'Southern' style biscuits have some much grease in them compared to what I grew up with.)
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Tuco Ramirez wrote:This thread went so wrong...... :lol:
Yeap!
Archer wrote:You know you ARE correct.
We probably should sort out the food discourse to the topic bucket and add to the lubrication data.
You guys making work for me over that first cup of coffee!

COFFEE??? with biscuits? Where's the Tequila? Oh yeah, JD drank it all.

JD, you wanted the glass to be dirty, so I rolled it in lard, flour, and buttermilk. Now it's dirty!
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Archer wrote:I don't believe in those yankee biscuits that have sugar added to the mix. IF I wanted a doughnut I'd start out making them instead of biscuits.

(And I've always wondered WHY commercial and cookbook 'Southern' style biscuits have some much grease in them compared to what I grew up with.)
Have you never put a big pat of butter and some sugar into a hot biscuit? You must be from New York City :lol:

A couple of my siblings got together at our house Saturday night for dinner. And talk got around to how our Dad use to cut a nice sized chunk of extra sharp cheddar for his hot biscuit. He would lay the chunk on his fork and then dip it in his hot coffee until it got soft. Then he'd put it into that biscuit, man that was good with the little hint of coffee mixed in with the cheese and lard flavors.

I know what you mean about all the grease! But they do taste good that way. And those greazy garlic biscuit things you get at Red Lobster are wonderful!
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

donhuff wrote:A couple of my siblings got together at our house Saturday night for dinner. And talk got around to how our Dad use to cut a nice sized chunk of extra sharp cheddar for his hot biscuit. He would lay the chunk on his fork and then dip it in his hot coffee until it got soft. Then he'd put it into that biscuit, man that was good with the little hint of coffee mixed in with the cheese and lard flavors.
Sounds really good, going to try this.
And those greazy garlic biscuit things you get at Red Lobster are wonderful!
Yes they are! Not worth a hoot reheated though!
Michael
Mrlucky353

Post by Mrlucky353 »

It takes a lot of will power, but I've been limiting myself to just one biscuit at breakfast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Now add some seasoned gravy to it n some scrambled eggs u have brunch. Look you even left a washington as a tip.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

So in my cheesy biscuit recipe the cheddar IS EXTRA sharp.
Shred it and mix it into the biscuit dry mix before the milk by color.
The grated or finely shredded parm goes in by the heaping tablespoon or half a handful.
I've had several folks claim they are excellent without anything added in them but if I serve them with fried chicken or bacon and sausage I generally get good comments on those as well. Had a co-worker in Mobile offer to buy me a big honking cookie sheet and/or stainless mixing bowl if I'd bring more in.

There is a decided difference in putting a spoonful of sugar on one of grandma's biscuits as a kid VS. adding sugar to the biscuit dough a-la that Yankee corn cake they call cornbread. I don't think I ever mixed sugar and butter though, one or the other but by choice a thick slab or two of fatback bacon or butter.

The recipe I grew up with used about 1/2 the amount of grease compared to what most cookbooks call for in a Southern style biscuit. The only places I think I ever saw any biscuits that were that greasy were made in chain restaurants.