Flint Point

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flint Point

Post by Ranch Dog »

Found an interesting flint point yesterday. Found a website that took me easily through the identification. Seems it is a "Stemmed Lanceolate" some 9,000 to 10,000 years old. Will take it to someone that knows this stuff first hand at a nearby State park.
point_01.jpg
point_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Flint Point

Post by mr surveyor »

that is a nice one. How prevalent are flint points in your area? I'd guess they probably haven't been picked over as much as in our area due to the population. My Dad had collected a couple of cigar boxes full of flints when he was a kid in the 30's and said several old timers in the area pointed the boys in the direction of where the Indians "camped" when doing their seasonal treks. I think Dad and his buddies pretty much collected all the easy ones :D. As for "pre-historic" points, there probably aren't any "easy ones". I often wondered if our modern Indians ever found and re-used the pre-historic tools themselves.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:that is a nice one. How prevalent are flint points in your area?
Any point is very rare in my location as this is sandy savannah country especially back in the period this point suggests. These people would have to have packed it in. What is weird is that I just asked a rancher, a fellow who is a little bit younger but whose ranch has been in continuous operation since the late 1800's, and he said "hardly ever" and not in his lifetime.

I ran guided hunts on a large ranch in LaSalle County twenty years ago. This ranch was southeast of Cotulla with miles of Nueces River frontage. It was very common to look down and see points, common enough that you did not pick up pieces of a point. This was flint country but the points ran about 300 to 500 years old. What is funny is that the newer the point, the more primitive they look. This point is very clean in design and the newer points are real rough in design. I've always wondered if the "skill craft" was being lost or that they simply had too much of a need (to feed and defend more people quicker).

I searched for some more info and had the age confirmed through another web page although it is still one guy, me, choosing the feature options. At the age indicated here is what was happening at the time:
This would be from an extremely early South Texas settler whose people were about halfway through the 15,000 year ice age migration south. Apparently this fellow would have branched out on his own east of the migration flow which ran down the east side of the Continental Divide and through the Big Bend of Texas. As a reference, Adam and Eve was first referenced in the Bible at 8030 BC, so this point is from about the same time reference.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Very Nice one ! That is a beautiful color.
I cannot imagine why anyone would not reuse a point being a hunter.
I grew up with Lee Chabot in Michigan. His grandma was the last registered Potowatami in our area and they lived on the tribal grounds. Had a closet that contained at least 30 shoe boxes full of eveything imaginable. Out hunting we would still find a point here and there.
I have found one down here on a stream bed. Damaged so it was probably dumped.
Mike in Peru till June
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Mike Weber

Post by Mike Weber »

That is a very clean looking point and looks almost like obsidian or agate rather than flint as the material has a glassy look to it.
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixee?

http://www.shootersfreehold.com/Forums
A board for those “regular folks” who have a serious interest in firearms and the shooting sports, Preparedness, Camping, Fishing and other outdoor activities.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Mike Weber wrote:That is a very clean looking point and looks almost like obsidian or agate rather than flint as the material has a glassy look to it.
A fellow that really knows this stuff is going to examine it tomorrow, hopefully with kid gloves. I will report back.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Maybe it will be a rare one worth a new gun to a certain ranch owner. I always use luck like this to translate into a new gun. Lol who knows. I use to find many pieces here in hancock county when younger a spear point that was perfect all black traded at coon dog trials I think now I got ripped off lol. Glad you have an expert checking yours
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!