Squib loads?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Zippidydoodah

Re: Squib loads?

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I got to Vietnam as an Air Force officer (pilot) in 1968 in time for the Tet offensive. They did not issue small arms to the AF personnel as they had the "army" and 5th Special Forces and Arvin and Koreans protecting our air base. Guess what, base got overrun, everyone left to protect themselves as best they could, and had congressional help. We got to carry what we wanted after that. As flight crew got 38 and ar15. And plenty of ammo. Never stuck one in barrel, but could see how a person that doesn't carry one or use one could stick one in the heat of the moment. I think most guys in the AF only fired the "required" 50 rounds per year. I tried to get to know the range guys and one of them taught me reloading. Still at it and learning something every day at 70+
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Found this video for a visual and auditory explanation of a squib load
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Doc

Thanks for the video post. That's exactly what I've always considered to be a "squib load". Lately been seeing a whole lot of discussion leaning towards a squib load being what I consider to be either "light loads" or "gallery loads".

There's just way to much changing of the language going on nowadays to suit me. Guess I'm just getting too old and crotchety to accept change.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:Lately been seeing a whole lot of discussion leaning towards a squib load being what I consider to be either "light loads" or "gallery loads".
I've noticed the same. I had some kin bring me a revolver that had three cast bullets packed it the barrel. I told them all I could do would be to throw it in my lake. Once you have more than one caught, you really have some problems.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

To me a squib is either a round without powder OR a round loaded so light that it does not exit the barrel.
Same basic end effect IMO. If anything the too light load is potentially more dangerous since you are possibly more likely to touch off a second round whereas with a primer only load if you are lucky it doesn't kick the bullet far enough down the barrel to allow the second round to chamber.

I've also been handed a rifle with multiple bullets stuck in the barrel and my response was they had two choices if they were lucky. 1)Buy a new barrel and pay to have a gunsmith verify the receiver was good and change out the barrel. 2) buy a new gun entire.

Former coworker of mine related the same experience with a original Winchester 1892 in .44-40 that he managed to bulge the barrel in. Said he felt the odd recoil but noticed smoke coming out of the end of the barrel and figured he was good. Pulled the trigger again and sure enough bulged the barrel sticking another bullet right up against the first.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:To me a squib is either a round without powder OR a round loaded so light that it does not exit the barrel.
Same basic end effect IMO. If anything the too light load is potentially more dangerous since you are possibly more likely to touch off a second round whereas with a primer only load if you are lucky it doesn't kick the bullet far enough down the barrel to allow the second round to chamber.
Same for me. When I saw the video I got really excited as I thought that some fool had decided to show the more dangerous of the two scenarios!
Michael
nagantino

Post by nagantino »

My last trip to the range produced 5 squibs. I travelled for an hour to get to the range and was testing only 50 rounds so I knocked them out with a rod. A bad day for sure. I reload on a progressive press but you can't see into a .38 special case especially when loading light. I've learnt from this. I size, prime and charge, then remove all the cases for checking then back in to seat the bullet. I know when I visit the range tomorrow I can concentrate on grouping and faster reloading.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I think I may have mentioned it on another board here but I went out with a coworker last month or so to the range.

He had a couple three types of .45 ACP ammo including at least two Russian steel cased examples.
He was getting some failures to feed.
I won't fire that crap in my Kimber but I did decide to fire a few through a Glock 30.
Most feed ok but power levels weren't consistent. The Tul-A stuff was mostly ok but the other stuff (for which he didn't have a label and I didn't recognize the headstamp) was real crap.
At one point I felt a light recoil and although I hit the steel out in front of us I decided to STOP shooting and CHECK the barrel. Turns out there was no bullet in the barrel but the action had closed back on the empty shell. It took a little effort to clear the brass and when I did I pointed the gun down and powder fell out of the barrel onto the table in front of me. We discontinued firing any more of the Russian crap and ditched it into the trash barrel.

It ain't just reloads you have to be cautious of but you have to pay attention to all your shots.