Probably Let a Good One Slip

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Probably Let a Good One Slip

Post by mr surveyor »

One of my retired running buddies called my from one of the local pawn/gun shops today and said a guy just walked in wanting to trade or sell a "JM" Marlin in 444, in very serviceable condition with a few rust speckles and some wood dings. I was in the middle of business and couldn't think straight .... even when he told me it was scoped, included dies :o and a big bag of brass :o ..... and serial number started with 23. Not sure if the 444's used the same SN convention as other Marlins of the time period ... 2000 - 23 = 1977 mfg date? Kicker was he was asking $300, but my bud said he could probably talk him down a bit. I passed :roll:

To make matters worse, 3-4 hours later mrs surv calls and tells me one of my clients sent a substantial check today ...... good news/bad news. I probably missed out on a heck of a JM project gun.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Probably Let a Good One Slip

Post by akuser47 »

I hate those moments. Maybe nextime
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, it happens! That would have been one heck of a deal. Out of all my rifles, my Marlin 444T is still King. I've never found anything better.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
I feel your anguish ! Back 10 years ago I was in one of the 2 local shops here and there sat a .357 Levergun a feller brought in to sell. $500 ! And I could not scrape it up. One month later I went back with money and no .357. The only one that has ever showed up in 25 years.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I guess it's o.k. that the 444 got away. Heck, it's hard enough to find .44 mag brass .... I can't imagine the never ending search for .444 brass
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jdb

Post by jdb »

mr surveyor wrote:I guess it's o.k. that the 444 got away. Heck, it's hard enough to find .44 mag brass .... I can't imagine the never ending search for .444 brass
LOL...yeah, but at my age, I don't want to be carryin' that many .444 rounds around with me any way. ;~0

It happens to all of us JD. Had a nearly identical thing happen with a shotgun at a going out of business sale a couple months ago. I was there for an 870 Wingmaster and there was also a 3 1/2" Charles Daly 12 gauge that looked brand new for 275 bucks. I got tunnel vision and passed on the CD. I'm STILL kicking myself over not coming home with both of them. Grrrr!

Sometimes ya just have a brain cramp. ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Yeah, jdb, mine was no doubt a brain cramp. I really didn't need another distraction (the 444) at the time, but looking back I realize I could have just stuck it back into the closet for a later time when I did need a distraction :) .

And, you letting that CD priced at $275 slip away does qualify as a brain cramp. :lol:

So, is there some magic age one reaches when brain cramps are no longer an issue, or can I expect to go directly from the brain cramp stage into senility?

JD
jdb

Post by jdb »

mr surveyor wrote:Yeah, jdb, mine was no doubt a brain cramp. I really didn't need another distraction (the 444) at the time, but looking back I realize I could have just stuck it back into the closet for a later time when I did need a distraction :) .

And, you letting that CD priced at $275 slip away does qualify as a brain cramp. :lol:

So, is there some magic age one reaches when brain cramps are no longer an issue, or can I expect to go directly from the brain cramp stage into senility?

JD
LOL...yeah, I'm not sure exactly where the tipping point is for that, JD. I only know when you're younger, it's just written off as the consequences of being "dedicated" or "focused" or "single minded" and as your age climbs toward retirement...it's most generally called senility. ;~)

Funny how the exact same mistakes we make at 30 take on a whole new meaning at 60 ain't it? ;~)

By the way, if your handle, Mr Surveyor, is an actual expression of your profession, we share more than just a common initials JD. I've been busting brush, stretching chains and plumbing bobs for more than 50 years. And all I can say about it is thank GOD for lasers! LOL
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Man, we have a LOT in common then. I can't claim 50 years, but at least 37 or so .... the last 31 years licensed. Yep, I started with transit and chain, then theodolite and chain, theodolite and top mount edm, basic total station, robotic total station, static gps, rtk gps, dabbled in digital scanners.......

My son had other opportunities for a lifelong career, but he chose to follow his old man and got licensed some 11 years ago. He technically works for me since I'm the s/p of the business, but technologically he runs circles around me ... I just approve the paychecks.

Sounds like we might could swap a lot of field stories :D

JD
jdb

Post by jdb »

mr surveyor wrote:Man, we have a LOT in common then. I can't claim 50 years, but at least 37 or so .... the last 31 years licensed. Yep, I started with transit and chain, then theodolite and chain, theodolite and top mount edm, basic total station, robotic total station, static gps, rtk gps, dabbled in digital scanners.......

My son had other opportunities for a lifelong career, but he chose to follow his old man and got licensed some 11 years ago. He technically works for me since I'm the s/p of the business, but technologically he runs circles around me ... I just approve the paychecks.

Sounds like we might could swap a lot of field stories :D

JD
LOL. Yep. I started helping my dad when I was just a kid. And I've still got a theodolite, EDM and prism setting in the back of a closet...just for emergencies...but I haven't been in the field in several years now. It IS something that just kind of gets in your blood when your not looking isn't it?

I understand your son's choice. Some of the biggest arguments and best times my dad and I ever had were in the field. He taught me about as much about bush craft out surveying as he did when we went hunting. And enough to grandfather in about surveying. LOL

By the way, I've still got a transit, tripod, rod and stadia rod that my father started with about 65 years ago, which I keep the transit out as a display piece. He got the equipment used and It looks like it came over on the Mayflower, but I'd rather use it than anything I ever used! ;~)

Dang thing hasn't been calibrated in 50 years and it's STILL accurate. If I want to find corners for a neighbor or shoot elevations around the house, it's what I most often pull out! LOL

Good to hear your son's carrying on the legacy!