Firelapping a '92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ky Miller

Firelapping a '92

Post by Ky Miller »

I slugged the barrel of my new .44 mag 24" octagon and the bore was quite rough in a couple of places. It's mirror shiney, but apparently not as smooth as it looked. I had not firelapped a rifle before but have several revolvers, including most recently a Charter Arms Bulldog that you could look in the muzzle and actually see where the barrel was stamped on the outside..it had inprinted all the way through.
When I cleaned the rifle after the first range trip, I got quite a bit of lead flakes out of it and accuracy was starting to deteriorate on the last group. I re-read Fermin Garza's article on firelapping and decided to give this one a treatment.

http://www.gunblast.com/FerminGarza-Firelapping.htm

I don't have minus gauges, but slugging has worked for me in the past. I prepared 13 rounds of 44 with some WW gc bullets I had on hand but no gas check on them. These are 225gr 429215's, and put them over 3.7gr of Bullseye. I already had a 3/8" mild steel rod covered with vinyl from a sign shop in case I stuck a bullet, but none did. I fired 3 rounds and then bronze brushed the bore without a swabbing patch in between and repeated until I ran out of lap rounds.
I brushed it out again and shot some groups at 50 yds and a few rounds at a rock at 100. A total of about 10 more rounds. When I got home I cleaned the barrel and only found one speck of lead about like a grain of sand. I scrubbed the bore with some bronze wool I got at a stained glass shop used to de-solder joints with and soaked the bore in Kroil and left it. I think the leading problem is mostly solved, but will check it after the next range session to see.
Photo shown is the firelapped rounds, wasn't really trying for accurace, still put 8 of the 13 in a cluster at 25 yds. This would be an excellent load for little varmints :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Firelapping a '92

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Firelapping is one of my regular routines to a new factory barrel. Some well made non/factory barrels have alraedy been dome by the barrel maker.
But tight patch will reveal everything. Amazing what 10-30 rounds of lead bullets dobbered with lap or polish can accomplish in a few short minutes.
Looka like that one will be a keeper and well worth the time.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Mike.44

Post by Mike.44 »

I firelapped several Ruger and S&W revolvers over the last couple of months. My new M92 44 mag will be getting some soon.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I haven't firelapped a gun in ages.
I have been thinking about the possibilities WRT the Rossi 92s though.