What Cartridge Is Your R92 Chambered In?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.

What Cartridge Is Your R92 Chambered In?

357 Mag
47%
44 Mag
20%
44-40 Win
3%
45 Colt
21%
454 Casull
8%
480 Ruger
1%

Total votes: 959

GaCop

Re: What Cartridge Is Your R92 Chambered In?

Post by GaCop »

I have a 92 in 357 currently on lay-away.
Vietnam vet.....June 66 to Dec 67
linedrawer

Post by linedrawer »

My R92 is in .38/.357
linedrawer

Post by linedrawer »

Picked up another one blued 20" in .45 colt last Friday. Like new. Still has all the mfgr's packing grease that needs cleaned out. $410 out the door. Just something about them 92's!!!
leverlover92

Post by leverlover92 »

Chalk another up for 44 mag here!
okstatefan

Post by okstatefan »

New member who just picked up a SS 16" .357. I'll get it working for me.
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

williamc wrote:44 mag, x2

Trust me, after owning this rifle and a companion Ruger Blackhawk in 44 special, I understand what the fuss is about.
I shot an SBH hunter in 44 mag for years and that was a tough gun to get used to--but my rossi 92 tames the 44 mag nicely.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Got mine a couple weeks ago. It's in 38/357 so I only have to carry one size cartridge for my side arm and rifle. Shot it with some 158 grain LRN 38 special home loads for the first time today and it's a tack driver.

I swear I'd rather shoot it than my little 22. Heck, I'm thinking seriously about taking it and leaving the 1022 at home when I go squirrel huntin' in a couple weeks. LOL

And I agree. I can see now that I WILL end up with this gun in 44 magnum too!
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

jdb, I don't believe a .38/.357 cal. firearm is legal for squirrel hunting in KY. You might want to check the regs before you use it in a place were you have the possibility of being checked.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Moon Tree wrote:jdb, I don't believe a .38/.357 cal. firearm is legal for squirrel hunting in KY. You might want to check the regs before you use it in a place were you have the possibility of being checked.
LOL, well, probably is illegal Moon. It's funny. I have been huntin' squirrel with my old Thompson Center .54 cal Renegade for more than 40 years. At least till my eyes went all hinky on me. And NO, I'm not shootin' 'um in half and collecting the pieces. ;~)

But any muzzle loader is perfectly legal in Kentucky. We have a tradition around here of something called "barkin' squirrels. You shoot a limb or the tree under them and use the bark of the tree to either kill or stun them out of the tree. It's a frontier tradition that dates back more than 200 years that I know of.

As pioneers came west, they brought bigger caliber rifles because of the bigger game and the terrain. It was a way for them to take advantage of any opportunity for a meal and preserve meat when out hunting that bigger game. Of course, nowadays it's just for the challenge. I always loaded a round ball and 50 grains of powder, which is super accurate in my Renegade, and slipped into the woods. Sorry for the long winded history lesson, but I tend to ramble. ;~(

Thing is, any yahoo that knows ANYthing about ballistics knows that muzzle loaders and especially modern muzzle loaders with modern loads not only shoot faster than all but one or two handgun rounds in one of our lever action rifles, but they will actually shoot that actual handgun ammo in a sabot faster than the handgun it was designed for. And we can use ANY muzzle loader in Kentucky.

Doesn't make much sense to me. Sub sonic 38s from my 92 would be a HECK of a lot safer round than a 230 grain round ball and 90 grains of black powder fired out of my Renegade. I've through and throughed deer out to about a 100 yards with it. I KNOW 38s out of my 92 won't do that.

Of course, common sense just doesn't seem to be that common with our government agencies these days brother. I'd say that if someone ain't smart enough to know where their 357 out of a Rossi 92 is going to end up down range...the fact that they are shooting a 22 magnum or 50 cal muzzle loader ain't gonna make them a dang lick smarter. ;~)

The long and short of it. I LOVE my little 92 in 38/357. I think it's the perfect little brush gun for my neck of the woods. If I could only have one long gun...this one would be it. Accurate enough for head shots on small game and powerful enough to take white tail out at range. Perfect for Kentucky brush hunters.

And judging by the numbers of people in the survey above who have it...I'm not alone. LOL

By the way guys. Sorry to ramble, but nonsensical hunting regs are one of my pet peeves. In case you couldn't tell.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I agree I also add that modern 12 gauge sabot slugs are more dangerous than many rifle rounds.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!