"New" Marlin(Remlin)1894C

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Ninety Caliber

"New" Marlin(Remlin)1894C

Post by Ninety Caliber »

I understand they are now making them again. Was wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on one yet ?
N.C.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re:

Post by akuser47 »

I haven't but def. pics and reports I am curious. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ninety Caliber wrote:I understand they are now making them again. Was wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on one yet ?
It will be interesting to see what they are like. Here is are some quotes from Brian Pearce's Mostly Long Gun column in the May 2014 issue of Rifle Sporting Firearms Journal (Volume 46, Issue 3).
During the fall of 2010, the Marlin Firearms Company was moved from New Haven, Connecticut, to Ilion, New York, where it now shares a portion of the huge building that houses sister companies Remington and H&R 1871. For several reasons, this move has been painful for the company and for shooters. Several popular models have been discontinued, production is way down and overall quality is poor, while repairs and service have been impossible. At a seminar held last October, the company finally admitted the move “was a mistake.” Now, after a costly and extensive CNC retooling, developing new blueprints and adding a new engineering and production staff, Marlin claims it is on the road to recovery.
Moving Marlin to Ilion, New York,proved a huge undertaking and cost the company the majority of its valuable employees, perhaps its greatest asset. New guns failed to function, wood to metal fit was poor, and overall quality was down. I obtained two new guns for the purpose of reviewing them in Rifle magazine, but after determining they were unreliable, I chose not to.
At the 2013 writers seminar, the company admitted that sample guns displayed at trade shows and on industry shoots were carefully chosen and were of New Haven manufacture to make certain they looked good and worked reliably!
As always, he sums it up very well.
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re:

Post by Steelbanger »

I hope the attachment is legible. That white text over a mottled gray & white sure doesn't do anything for my old eyes. This is just an excerpt taken from the Marlin 2014 catalog and details how Marlin is "reintroducing" Marlin. How about that?
Marlin reintroduction from '14 catalog.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re:

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm wondering when Mossberg will try to fill the void of "quality" lever guns. Their .30-30 offering, at least a couple of years ago when I was helping a friend pick out a new gun, is considerably better in the appearance category but I have no idea of the overall reliability. Having bought my grandson a new "remlin" for Christmas a couple of years ago I realized it will take the Marlin brand a long time to get me to consider replacing my favorite, well worn, 1973 Mod 336.... and even though I would love to have the 1894C, I am certainly not ready to spend twice the money on the remlin as on a rossi (yet).

It's almost as if the firearms makers think (or do they know) that their time is limited and fast quantity of sales means more to them than any semblance of quality.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!