New Member from eastern PA

Tell us a bit about yourself!
kaboom

New Member from eastern PA

Post by kaboom »

Good evening, my new friends. Just found this oh, so interesting forum. Purchased my 92 about 2 months ago. It is in 45 Colt caliber, with a 20" barrel. Love it. I've done most of Steve's action slicking, installed his rear peep sight, but she still hits - w a y - off to the left. I've drifted the front sight over to the left and got it about 3' left now. Soooo, for some reason while I was cleaning it today I actually LOOKED at it from the front. Yup, the front sight dovetail is canted a good 6-7* around the barrel to the right. I can drift it a little more, but why in the world would the dovetail be that far off? Anyway, thanks for letting me join the oh, so interesting forum.
Black powder smoke is my aroma therapy.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New Member from eastern PA

Post by akuser47 »

That's unfortunate. But if you just got it I would send her back for repair as the barrel has been turned or sight/dovetail was cut before barrel head space was set at factory your best option will probably be to get a return from rossi their turn around is 6 to 8 weeks, but usaully sooner not sure in this case as they will probably have to put a new barrel on her. I would send her back. Sorry to hear this please keep us posted. Also welcome I hope this does not make you hate the rossi rifles as once it is fixed they are so sweet. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
bonefamily

Post by bonefamily »

Agreed on sending it back. It should be right. Welcome to the forums!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum kaboom. My R92 was 4.5° clockwise from center. I did not send it back because I was going to permanently scout scope the rifle. I honestly wish I would have sent it back.
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Hello Kaboom,

Where are you located in eastern PA? I live in Northumberland County and am just about in the middle of the eastern half of the state.

Welcome aboard here.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
kaboom

Post by kaboom »

Steelbanger, I am just about 3 miles north east of Hershey. Retired here about 7 years ago. I inherited half of the house and bought my brother out so I would have a retirement home. Funny thing about being a retired pastor, they sort of expect you to vacate the parsonage when you retire. Sort of like, "get outa here." But not exactly in those terms. :twisted:
kaboom

Post by kaboom »

I'm sort of thinking about not sending it back because I've done a good bit of action work on it (before I noticed the sight being rotated) and they just might balk when they see what has been done. Then if they completely replace it, I'll have all that to do over again. My wife suggested I just drift the sight over a bit more and live with it. I've had it for about 6 weeks. Then I can +guns
kaboom

Post by kaboom »

Well, I took the Rossi back to the gun shop where I bought it, and they said, "Man it's not supposed to be like that." They said their gunsmith might be able to fix it and if not, they would take responsibility of sending it back and making sure it was fixed right. Since I had replaced the sights and a few other things, they said if it must go back, they will contact me so I can put the original stuff back so I wouldn't lose it if they just replaced the rifle. Hey, great news, and I'm glad I bought it at a reputable dealer. :D :D :D
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good news Kaboom keep us posted to their results. I love it when a dealer backs up their sales.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes, good news. Definitely an "old school" shop!
Michael