More about my Savage Scout 7.62x39

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

More about my Savage Scout 7.62x39

Post by Ranch Dog »

I thought I would give you some feedback on the Savage 10 FCM Scout on it's return. It took 90 days to get it back and there is very little information with it's return. Basically it says that everything was good but I think the headspace was slightly long. They sent me a 100 yard target and the three shot group was .8 MOA. I thought I would go ahead and shoot it with the same ammo they did, Federal, and it shot... well, simply outstanding.

The must have shot it with a traditionally mounted scope as the scout base was removed as was the receiver sights. I would have shot it with it's scout scope but when they packaged up the base they did not include one of the three screws. I called them and they are sending it to me.

I did shoot it with the receiver sight and the performance was outstanding. I quickly got it sighted in at 200 yards and had no problem banging the 8" gong at my 200 yard berm!

I even put a couple on the the 10" gong at 250-yards and will work out what it takes for my 12" gong at 300. I actually need a taller front sight as I cannot get it down to zero at 100 yards, that is why I started to try it at 200 yards.

I'm truly impressed! The best I could hope for with this very ammo, same lot I was shooting from before it left, was 2.5 MOA and I could not always get that. I believe that with the scope, I will see exactly what Savage shot before returning it, sub MOA performance.

My intent was to turn it out on a consignment sell at my FLL but I'm going to go ahead and shoot some other ammo and shoot it with the scope.

The rifle does have a .308 groove but the bullet mold I have on ordered has a bore rider nose to accommodate this diameter without issue. Like I said earlier in this topic, the action is a longer than it need be in that it was designed for the 308 Win, but with that said, the rifle is probably an inch longer at best when compared to the M85.

So... Savage has got my attention as this rifle can shoot! My dad was doing some weed trimming around the range and stopped to watch, he was quite impressed with engaging the targets at 200 and 250 yards with a magazine full of solid hits as fast as I could get the sight picture on the gongs! He also wanted to know a bit more about the 7.62x39 as he was impressed how hard it was smacking the gongs, the low report, and no apparent recoil. That is exactly how I see the cartridge and I feel like I have a good brace of firearms to maximize the potential of the cartridge.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: More about my Savage Scout 7.62x39

Post by akuser47 »

This sounds like it may be promising, def. keep us posted may be worth keeping at this rate then. To bad they just dont manufacture a true russian bore as well though the .308 bore can give more options in long run. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
It is good to read Savage was willing to do "whatever" to make their rifle shoot. Now the fun to see what it will do with some "tailor made" loads.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

So what work did they do to the rifle, reset the headspace?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:So what work did they do to the rifle, reset the headspace?
Nothing noted but that is what I think.
Michael
remus

Post by remus »

I have a Savage Scout in .308. A left hand version. When they came out with the lefty all they had was the .308 and one other caliber that I can't remember. I've really been tickles with mine. I have a Burris 2.5X long eye relief scope on mine, did get two additional mags fitted for it.

I didn't know they made a 7.62x39 version but it seems like it would be a dynamite coyote gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

remus wrote:I have a Savage Scout in .308. A left hand version. When they came out with the lefty all they had was the .308 and one other caliber that I can't remember. I've really been tickles with mine. I have a Burris 2.5X long eye relief scope on mine, did get two additional mags fitted for it.

I didn't know they made a 7.62x39 version but it seems like it would be a dynamite coyote gun.
Good to hear that I have a fellow 10FCM shooter here! Yeah, still digging the rifle since it's warranty return, one heck of a beast!

Too bad the rifle has been discontinued. Savage could have done a better marketing the rifle as it is truly a slicker package that the Ruger Gunsite Scout. It should have had a threaded barrel, an optional 10 round double stacked magazine, and been available in 300 Blackout. These three cartridges would have covered a wide range of tactical shooting needs. The rifle in the 7.63x39 is super sweet, you can bang away all day and not get beat up.

I bought a couple spare magazines as well, $50 bucks a whack! I'm going to retire in a couple months and the one thing I've wanted to do for years is starting competing in silhouette matches here in South Texas, I will use this rifle.
Michael
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Did they drop this rifle? I went to go look at it again and I don't see it listed.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yep savage dropped it. The sales just were not good enough. I know if lucky I will someday get either a savage new old stock or zatava m85, or CZ527. I have always wanted a bolt gun in 7.62x39.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Did they drop this rifle? I went to go look at it again and I don't see it listed.
Yeah, as I noted above.
Michael