Shooting high.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Stretchabusa

Re: Shooting high.

Post by Stretchabusa »

Thank you for all you're answers, very interesting and informative.

I think I'll look into a new higher front sight, it's all a big learning curve for me, but that's good because the reserach on here will be valuable as I have just put a deposit on an M92 16" barrel in .44 mag.

Best regards Stretch :)
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Stretchabusa

Post by Stretchabusa »

Just rang my local Gun store and asked about a taller front sight, they said they didn't stock anything like that and it would have to be a custom made one.

Is there any thing off the shelf that I could send for from the States.

One more stupid question, because I am sat at work and the Rifle is at home, is the front sight fitted in a dovetail that I could fit myself.
Any info much appreciated.

Best regards Stretch :)
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

7.62 Precision wrote:So I notice the theme on every forum with these Rossis is that people complain about them shooting high at 25 meters. Is it because of CAS that everyone is zeroing at 25, or do most people want these rifles to shoot a 25m zero?
For me, and I think most others. The 25m sighting is because most of the time these guns are not scoped. And 25m is about as far out as I can shoot targets, and still SEE the group, to know how to adjust the sights. Also makes it a lot easier to keep them on the target that close, and not miss it completely. The sights are not checked at all at the factory (I guess) since some of mine have been way off at the first shooting. Plus, the loads we shoot can vary wildly in bullet weight and velocity. Judging by your name, I figure you have a background with bolt guns and are comfortable with starting out at 50 or 100yds. Bore sighting aint so easy with a lever gun and iron sights.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Stretch,
Yes, it is in a dovetail. Why not ring Rossi and see if you can get a taller sight from them. I know they make two different height front sights.

also, skinner has one. it's in their Rio section, but both guns share the same sight. http://www.skinnersights.com/rossi_firearms_23.html
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ky Miller

Post by Ky Miller »

I started at 25 yds with a new gun because I didn't know where it would impact and wanted to at least be on paper so that I could make adjustments from there. I'll be going back to the range this afternoon and trying some 215 grainers (44 mag) which should impact lower than the 240s. We'll see. 100 yds is the norm for my shooting with a rifle for no really good reason. Generally 25 with a handgun, cause it's close and I need instant gratification. :D
Stretchabusa

Post by Stretchabusa »

donhuff wrote:Stretch,
Yes, it is in a dovetail. Why not ring Rossi and see if you can get a taller sight from them. I know they make two different height front sights.

also, skinner has one. it's in their Rio section, but both guns share the same sight. http://www.skinnersights.com/rossi_firearms_23.html
Thanks for you're time and effort Brother,
This is an answer from an enquiry I made earlier from the U.S
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Hi Stretch ,

Thanks for the inquiry. Yep, shooting too high is pretty common with the Rossi 92’s particularly the round barrel carbines and the ranch hand. This is mainly because Rossi tries to do a one size fits and the rear sight that comes on it is just too tall.

If you go to Steves Gunz Web Store you will find replacement sights for the round barrel carbines like this Flat Top rear sight - Round barrel or this Low Semi-buckhorn rear sight - Round barrel. These rears are lower than the stock Rossi and any of my ROUND BARREL FRONT SIGHTS are slightly higher for the front. They also work with the Ranch Hand.

I don’t recommend a taller front mainly because the dovetail is too shallow and they tend to get knocked loose too easy the taller you go.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Makes sense even to an amateur like me :)

Thanks Steves Gunz, I'm ready to order for my .357 92 and the .44 92 I have on order.

Best regards to all Stretch
Last edited by Stretchabusa on 28 Mar 2014 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Hummmm?

I know that Rossi makes 2 sizes of front sights cause one of my guns had a shorter one, and another had a taller one. (i don't remember the exact measurement) . But the gun with the short one was shooting high, and the taller one was shootin low! I swapped them, and then both guns were just right.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm still wondering why you can't just take a small round file and cut the groove in the buckhorn deeper?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

You can take some jewler files to the range and dial her in a few grinds at a time. I did this when I was young with a daisy bb gun that needed it. Take your time and you can make her shoot right.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!