100 yard groups

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
3sharps

100 yard groups

Post by 3sharps »

I am wondering, what size groups people are getting with their 92 at 100 yards. I am having trouble keeping them in a 6 inch bullseye. I am using 15 grains of 4227 and a 158 grain swc. I have a tang sight and factory front sight. I seem to be stringing shots verticaly. Perhaps I should replace the front sight with a Lyman 17A. :cry:
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 100 yard groups

Post by akuser47 »

With my reloads and even factory ammo in same bullet weight 158 grain my buddy can hit a pop can with every shot at 100 yards. I have more trouble seeing these days. So 75 yards to 50 yards is my distance if I can help it. I can then hit a pop can almost every shot. I like targets that give feed back. So I Like steel, bowling pins, and so on. Have you tried any other loads with your rifle mine likes XTP's 158 grain with 9.9 blue dot in starline brass and cci primer. I like heavy bullets but I shoot and load both.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
7.62 Precision

Post by 7.62 Precision »

3sharps wrote:I am wondering, what size groups people are getting with their 92 at 100 yards. I am having trouble keeping them in a 6 inch bullseye. I am using 15 grains of 4227 and a 158 grain swc. I have a tang sight and factory front sight. I seem to be stringing shots verticaly. Perhaps I should replace the front sight with a Lyman 17A. :cry:
It could be your rifle, your ammunition, or you. A finer front sight will help you diagnose.

If you are not already, use a 6 o'clock hold, it may help you aim more precisely when shooting of groups.
oneyeopn

Post by oneyeopn »

I was having a similar issue but with a different caliber (45colt). I ended up replacing the sights both front and back which enabled me to use the 6 o'clock hold. I also found that my rifle preferred a 250gr load instead of a 200gr and jacketed over cast. I get great performance out jacketed bullets with my groups at a hundred yards running about 3". For traditional style sights that is performance that I can be very happy with. With hard cast it opens up but still under 5".
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
With a lever rifle it can also be how are you resting the front of the rifle. You may need to have the rest under the handguard, the front of the receiver or even out at the barrel end (rare for me). Possibly your hand under the handguard resting on a support. I have a Marlin that would not group at all until one day I removed the handguard and rested off the receiver. With that one the handguard now is loose fit but will shoot straight.
Mag tube can also cause a stress. Then there is the "emptying mag tube" group change...
But first and foremost.. be sure your bullet is the proper diameter. With lead in my 357's I always start .0015-.002 oversize if they will chamber. Jacketed ... get the fastest you can. I have not shot a jacketed thing in years and have no intention of doing so.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Flynnismydog

Post by Flynnismydog »

I couldn't hit a barn door with my .44 mag but then I changed powder and went for a heavier bullet now I am getting 2" at 100. So just try different powder and bullet and I'm Sure you can get it to shoot well.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

3sharps wrote:I am wondering, what size groups people are getting with their 92 at 100 yards. I am having trouble keeping them in a 6 inch bullseye. I am using 15 grains of 4227 and a 158 grain swc. I have a tang sight and factory front sight. I seem to be stringing shots verticaly. Perhaps I should replace the front sight with a Lyman 17A. :cry:
What is the behavior like in at 50 and 25 yards? If it isn't stringing the shot vertically in close, granted the strings would be smaller (3" and then 1.5") it must be the sight picture and not the load or rifle.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good answer rd i shoulda suggested this. +1 to rd's suggestion here.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
3sharps

Post by 3sharps »

I just received a 17a sight from Buffalo Arms today. As soon as the weather breaks and I am able to get back to the range, I will let you know what the new results are. ;)
3sharps

Post by 3sharps »

Okay, I have installed my new sight. I went to the range and started at 25 yards to make sure I was somewhere near where I needed to be. Then I shifted to 50 yards. When things were good, I shifted to 100 yards. I fired 5 factory rounds and ended up with 4-9s and a 7 on the 100 yard target. On my next trip I will take more ammo. I am wondering, is the 158 grain swc too heavy for the twist in the Rossi? :)