Trouble Seeing Your Sights? Idea for a Cheap Aide

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Deleted User 327

Trouble Seeing Your Sights? Idea for a Cheap Aide

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Deleted
Last edited by Deleted User 327 on 01 May 2014 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Trouble Seeing Your Sights? Idea for a Cheap Aide

Post by mr surveyor »

looks familiar :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Papadiver

Post by Papadiver »

Are your shooting glasses prescription bifocal lens? Interested in your project!
I am in the same boat with my iron sights.

Ron
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

good work keep us posted my eyes are not so good anymore why I choose scopes most the time
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Been using that method for many years. You just need to find the right size pin for the hole. Merit makes an adjustable iris but it is a bit expensive. You wont believe the difference it makes with any irons.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

yep, I used it at the range for several years ... then realized I wouldn't be using it on the street, on the job or while hunting. Unless I'm trying to test a gun or load, I now shoot "with what I've got" (which is very diminished vision), trying to simulate real world conditions (for me).

My last digression requiring both contacts and glasses made me give up my home made iris shooting glasses, but they dang sure worked .... and worked well :D

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deleted User 327

Papadiver wrote:Are your shooting glasses prescription bifocal lens? Interested in your project!
I am in the same boat with my iron sights.

Ron
Yep, farsighted with astigmatisms to boot! Even though the stick on aperture is in the 'far' portion of your glasses, you won't believe how well you can see up close and far out at the same time. This works with prescription or plain glasses the same.

Try this simple trick to see if it will work for you. Take off your glasses or just find something that is fuzzy to see up close around you.

Now, take your hand and curl your index finger tight against your palm with your thumb tucked under it. There should be a slight gap formed at the first knuckle.

Make the 'hole' as small as you can and then put your eye up close to your hand and look through the 'aperture' at something that is fuzzy appearing without your glasses.

You should be seeing the object significantly clearer if you did this right.

BTW: Note that my shooting glasses are yellow. I use them for shooting at the range as well as hunting. This is because looking through yellow lens helps your eye see better edge definition partly because it helps to shrink the size of your pupil.

There is a very good reason why you often see cyclists wearing yellow tinted lenses. If these bikers travel through fog, they can better see where they are going when they wear yellow lenses. Since sunglasses with yellow tinted lenses absorb UV and blue light and as a result everything seems brighter. Many cyclists find that they are troubled by hazy light, but this can be avoided with yellow lenses. Also if they’re riding at either dawn or dusk or when it is foggy and overcast, they find that everything seems clearer.

Also, avoid shooting with dark glasses at all costs as they cause your pupil to enlarge which increases the size of your eye's natural aperture. You want you pupil to be as small as possible for the best DoF.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

The "iris" glasses will work well for most folks that just need a bit of help. I've mentioned them in several threads here before, but couldn't find my pictures of the target glasses I made 7-8 years ago..... finally found it:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deleted User 327

I seen a number of people using those at meets and I understand that they work well too.

The idea behind my smaller disk is that it's so close to your eye it 'ghosts' so that it doesn't block your vision, either of your sights or down range. You just notice that there is a clear area in the middle of it where your sights and the target is crystal clear.

All you have to make sure of is that the center is clean and clear. Sometimes in the summer when it's really hot, the center aperture will get smugged but worst case is you remove the tape, clean your glasses, and then reapply your aperture and you're ready to go again.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

mr surveyor wrote:yep, I used it at the range for several years ... then realized I wouldn't be using it on the street, on the job or while hunting. Unless I'm trying to test a gun or load, I now shoot "with what I've got" (which is very diminished vision), trying to simulate real world conditions (for me).

My last digression requiring both contacts and glasses made me give up my home made iris shooting glasses, but they dang sure worked .... and worked well :D

JD
The stock Glock sights work fairly well for me without the iris. For a carry gun, try different sights and see what works for you. If you are forced to use your carry gun, then chances are it will be at conversational distances anyway.