suggestions for initial cleaning on model '92?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
wdwrkr51

suggestions for initial cleaning on model '92?

Post by wdwrkr51 »

I want to clean and oil my new '92 prior to shooting it. I am new to lever actions, and new to the model 92, so I am asking for tips and suggestions to help me along. I already have a bore snake in the proper caliber, so I plan to use that for the barrel. What about for the rest of the action?

What about the new multifunction chemical products such as Breakfree CLP or Prolix? Any other "miracle products out there I should consider? Should I just stick to Hoppes no. 9 and gun oil?

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

wdwrkr51
Non Carborundum est Illegitimae Nothus!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: suggestions for initial cleaning on model '92?

Post by akuser47 »

Your best fist thing is to remove mag tube end spring and follower, then remove rear stock,use nonchlorinated break cleaner start flushing mag tube barrel then action until it comes out clean. Then use you clp lube run ur snake or bore mop through mag tube and barrel then give a helthy lubeing spray to your action.put her back together. Cycle her to work it all in and shoot the heck out of her. Dont get the break cleaner on any of the wood. This will degrease all packing grease so you start with fresh good oil. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

if you choose not to do a detail strip, which it doesn't sound necessary from your earlier post, the easiest way is as follows.

1. Remove the buttstock - nothing but removing the upper tang screw and jiggling/wiggling the stock off. Remove the magazine plug (carefully) and the looonnnnggg magazine spring with follower.

2. Open the action (do this outside in the weed patch you want to kill...or in the neighbors yard :D ), and with a pressurized can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner (five bucks or so) and the little "straw" applicator spray liberally into every nook and cranny you can reach (preferable barrel tilted up). spray until nothing but clean clear brake cleaner drips out the action. Work the action a few times and repeat the spraying. There's almost always some factory goo that needs flushing and the possibility of some machining chips stuck in that goo. Same as any new gun from most manufacturers.

3. After the action has had a chance to thoroughly drain (still barrel tipped up) and completely dry you can use your favorite oil (I generally use CLP, but the good choices are almost unlimited) with an applicator and reach in and apply oil to all metal to metal mating surfaces ... whatever looks like it moves. Personally I don't like oil in the firing pin tunnels of my firearms, but will use a drop or two of really thin liquid graphite lube to the firing pin. Too much lube in the firing pin tunnel seems to attract gunk you just can't get to for cleaning (unless you blow it out with the brake cleaner), and occasionally the firing pin will suck back small flakes of brass that get mixed into the gunk. Probably not a real problem with the 92, but certainly is with some firearms built to tight tolerances.

4. Work the action to distribute the lube and wipe out the excess. You don't want it "dripping".

5. Replace the buttstock and cleaned up mag spring/follower/plug and wipe down the outside again.

6. Shoot it! :D

That's just my take on the factory new first cleaning and certainly isn't something that needs to be a routine thing. I'm sure I missed something, so maybe someone else will come along and clear it up.

JD

dang .... took me 15 minutes to type.... AK is a faster typer than me. But, I really can type well over 100 words a minute ... in code ... that no one could read..... :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Pretty good summary of what initial cleaning seems to require.
7.62 Precision

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Use a breather when you use brake cleaner, and eye protection. It is nasty stuff. I use solvent tanks with lacquer thinner, but I am already set up for doing so. If it is something really gunky that will wreck my solvent, or something huge like a .50 BMG rifle that won't fit in my tanks, I sometimes use brake cleaner. It works well. Keep it away from wood or polymers. If you are using the plastic factory follower, don't get brake cleaner on it.

You can also use kerosene or diesel fuel. The advantage with using these solvents is that it removes the dirt and packing oils, but does not leave the metal totally dry, since both are very light oils. They make very good cleaning solvents for firearms.
wdwrkr51

Post by wdwrkr51 »

Special thanks to Mr. Surveyor and 7.62 precision for their responses - very detailed and most helpful. That's what a newbie really needs!
Non Carborundum est Illegitimae Nothus!
jonb

Post by jonb »

Hi

All good advice above.

The only thing I would say / add is remove the mag spring and make sure the yellow plastic follower is smooth and free running.

Mine had some casting marks and I polished it up with some fine emery.

I also worked the action a lot, around 250 times , I oiled the action during this too.

In my opinion they are amazing rifles for the money and great fun to shoot.

Enjoy ! :D