Another 7.62x39 now calls my ranch home!

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Another 7.62x39 now calls my ranch home!

Post by pricedo »

Archer wrote:I've heard good things about the Savage guns but it sounds like they decided to do something less than smart with the 7.62x39 in an attempt to mimic Ruger's initial Mini 30s.
Sounds very much like a caliber specific thing rather than something that is prevalent through their rifle line.

I own a .243 Win Savage I won in a raffle when the first two tickets came up AWOL at the drawing.
I need to slap a decent scope on it and see if it will shoot.
I'd have taken the rifle back to the dealer and said "this gun was advertised as a 7.62x39 but the barrel has a groove diameter of .308" so it must be some kind of special Savage wildcat because it ISN'T a 7.62x39 and I want my money refunded"
SAAMI specifies exactly what a 7.62x39 is and the Savage rifle RD bought isn't a 7.62x39......it's something else.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:I've heard good things about the Savage guns but it sounds like they decided to do something less than smart with the 7.62x39 in an attempt to mimic Ruger's initial Mini 30s.
Absolutely nothing wrong with anything else on the rifle just the chamber and groove.
pricedo wrote:I'd have taken the rifle back to the dealer and said "this gun was advertised as a 7.62x39 but the barrel has a groove diameter of .308" so it must be some kind of special Savage wildcat because it ISN'T a 7.62x39 and I want my money refunded"
The bottom-line is that I wanted the rifle and figured it would be squared away being it was a Savage. No big deal, it's just a gun not a lifetime commitment, I will have my money back in a matter of ten days and I'm already on to other things in this cartridge and others.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote: Absolutely nothing wrong with anything else on the rifle just the chamber and groove.

The bottom-line is that I wanted the rifle and figured it would be squared away being it was a Savage. No big deal, it's just a gun not a lifetime commitment, I will have my money back in a matter of ten days and I'm already on to other things in this cartridge and others.
If you're getting your money back in 10 days the problem was indeed "squared away".

In these situations they have a choice of either to make the rifle right or refund your money and the latter happened.

I'm not a Savage proponent ....... I merely had good luck with their products. In matters of guns or any other product for that matter I go with my own personal track record of experiences with a particular manufacturers products as the main criterion for future purchases (or NOT) and don't wear shaded glasses (rose or dark) in my evaluations. Objectivity comes lock & stock with my training & occupation. The guns either meet expectations or they don't.

Moving on ... :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I decided to stop shooting the gong and shoot an official 100-yard target. I had a big boar hog pass through the yard last night and I wanted to make sure this fellow was properly set up for the intercept. This was shot with the Prvi Partisan (PPU) 123-grain RNSP. It is pretty cheap ammo but has a brass case with large rifle primer pocket which makes perfect for reloading. It is also cheaper than buying new brass for reloading. The bullet is a keeper though, a super whitetail and hog thumper.

This is the upper left quadrant target of a "sight in" type target. It extends a 1& 1/2" out on each axis if you haven't seen one. I think this is very respectable for a 16" barrelled semi-auto tactical rifle shooting a $9/20 boxed ammo.

While I'm waiting on my molds, I ordered some Federal Fusion ammo just to see how it shoots plus I've heard it is a very good whitetail/hog bullet. I've never shot a box of ammo that costs $22 for 20 so I hope it shoots well. I do understand why I've reloaded my ammo for the last 40 years!

I also ordered the Amega Mini-Scout-Mount. This is a machined scout pictanty rail that replaces the plastic heat shield. The screenshot below shows the stainless but I bought the matt black to match the rifle. I will shoot it with the Weaver K4 Classic Scout.

One of the objections to the Mini-XX is that it does not lend itself to tactical attachments like other platforms but the Amega mount changes that. I just want it for the scout scope but...

Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Good grouping!
The 2 x Ruger mini-xx that I owned wouldn't cut groups like that at 20 yards.
The new generation minis are apparently different and better guns.

Nothing wrong with factory ammo.
I used to shoot 99% hand loaded ammo and gradually reversed that paradigm as factory ammo became better, cheaper and the store shelves displayed a lot more selection.
I do a lot less competitive shooting now that my eyes have gone into semi retirement and don't generate the piles of brass a week that I used to.
Whatever gets the job done.
Last edited by pricedo on 18 Mar 2014 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re:Another 7.62x39 now calls my ranch home!

Post by akuser47 »

It sure does look like ruger has finally got these set up right. I may get another ranch again. I still have mags stashed some where. Thanks for the report. Also have u shot any russian Steel cased ammo in her yet? Just curious if it will like em or not. I like that rail. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:It sure does look like ruger has finally got these set up right. I may get another ranch again. I still have mags stashed some where. Thanks for the report. Also have u shot any russian Steel cased ammo in her yet? Just curious ic it will like em or not.
I have a thousand rounds of Wolf and I shot a 20-round box of them last week. They are the 123-grain HP bullet. Shot as well but will not use it for hunting. I was looking on AmmotoGo and they now have plenty of soft point hunting ammo, all in stock, anywhere from .28 to 2.15/round. If you want to chuck the brass that makes it less than $6/20 for hunting ammo. Way cheaper than the 30-30 Win at .87/round minimum. That high priced ammo is made right up the road in San Antonio at RBCD. Seems they are making a Blended Metal Technology Soft Point for the cartridge to be used on large, hoofed North American big game.

Looking forward to starting on the Mini-Mauser this week as well.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea the m85 in 7.62X39 has had my interest for a long time. Keep us posted
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Nice group. That's how Ruger should have made them from the start. I looked at one at the local Walmart last week and the barrel had a taper instead of straight like my old one.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

klr wrote:Nice group. That's how Ruger should have made them from the start. I looked at one at the local Walmart last week and the barrel had a taper instead of straight like my old one.
From what I have seen they have heavy barrel profiles and standard. It looks like RD has the heavy barrel. This is just what Ive seen as I was at a big gun store and looked at many.