Daddy Likes his 45colt 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Daddy Likes his 45colt 92

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

donhuff wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:uuuuhhhhh..... he missed the penny.....

JD :mrgreen:

You SA
I'm gonna tape a penny to my next target and show you.....well maybe not. I'd probably spend all day out there trying to hit the dang thing.
Maybe I should start with a $20 bill, and work my way down :lol:
Might as well.... what a penny used to buy now takes a $20....... :cry:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

JD,

What got me to thinking about the different length brass was that with some of my loads, I would get a strong one, and then a few milder ones. At first, I thought that maybe I was imagining it, but then started to pay more attention to it. I found that with the faster powders it didn't show up as much, but with milder loads of slower powders it did. So I suspected the crimp was not holding all that well, one reason being that I make new expanders for each cartridge, that opens the case up to just 1 or 2 thousands under, sized bullet diameter. So that the case does not swage down my soft slugs.

But I noticed on the loaded rounds that the crimp was not always up to the bottom of the front driving band. So at the next case sizing, I measured a lot of cases and found the lengths varied a lot. I have cases from all different kinds of mfgs. So I found the longest (federal) and used it for the target work.

Like you with the straight walls. I did not think it would matter but now I see it does. I have seen with bottle neck rifles that just making sure the flash hole is uniform and deburring the hole on the inside, can make a big difference. Next I'm going to try neck sizing only, again, and try to figure out how to make them feed. I'll probably just shoot them one at a time not using the magazine, to see if it does anything or not.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:
donhuff wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:uuuuhhhhh..... he missed the penny.....

JD :mrgreen:

You SA
I'm gonna tape a penny to my next target and show you.....well maybe not. I'd probably spend all day out there trying to hit the dang thing.
Maybe I should start with a $20 bill, and work my way down :lol:
Might as well.... what a penny used to buy now takes a $20....... :cry:
HA...true
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Ranch Dog wrote:Great work Don, it looks like the bullet, rifle, scope, and your load work has paid off! What do those bullets end up weighing in at? Don't know if you are a whitetail hunter there in GA but if so, those bucks have something new to worry about!

Looking forward to your range report mr surveyor!

RD, they weighed in at 250ish. I say ish cause I'm not a real careful caster. I don't monitor the heat, but rather turn it WFO and cast for quantity.

Also, I have "worked" on the mold a little to get it to drop those true to Elmers spec square grease grooved slugs. I took a reamer and put a 45* on the bottom of that huge grease groove, and used a #11 xacto blade to dull all the other corners and sharp edges in the mold. Then I mixed some red iron oxide and wd40 to make a polishing paste, and using a fresh cast slug, polished the cavitys till they were smooth and shiny. (BTW this makes a great polishing compound to smooth out a rough/tight new rossi) They now drop close to 255 at about .455". Now, in no way am I saying the noe mold had to have this done to it. It was a very good and true to Elmer mold. I just wanted a bullet that would drop out a little easier because of my "hurry up" casting style.

No, I don't hunt deer, I did a little years ago but never go hunting anymore. I keep thinking about going to south Georgia to hunt pigs, but have not really pushed the issue. I'm going to have to start either hunting or some sort of competitive shooting, as going to the range and shooting targets is beginning to get boring. Now that the state has gotten interested in keeping up our local range. And has hired a crew of range safety officers, (I call them PLOs, makes em laugh) They have put so many restrictions on the shooting that it aint much fun anymore. NO steel targets of any kind, NO rapid firing, one second between shots etc etc etc. I gots to find somewhere to shoot!
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I like varmint hunting more. Though when I want some rabbit or squirrel I will go when in season. I was home grown on you hunt it or you don't eat. Or fish and catch it. lol I am in no hurry to eat these things all the time again though now I can cook it up my way and it is awesome.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

donhuff wrote:No, I don't hunt deer, I did a little years ago but never go hunting anymore. I keep thinking about going to south Georgia to hunt pigs, but have not really pushed the issue. I'm going to have to start either hunting or some sort of competitive shooting, as going to the range and shooting targets is beginning to get boring. Now that the state has gotten interested in keeping up our local range. And has hired a crew of range safety officers, (I call them PLOs, makes em laugh) They have put so many restrictions on the shooting that it aint much fun anymore. NO steel targets of any kind, NO rapid firing, one second between shots etc etc etc. I gots to find somewhere to shoot!
Yeah, got to change things up! It sounds like a hassle.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

donhuff wrote: No, I don't hunt deer, I did a little years ago but never go hunting anymore. I keep thinking about going to south Georgia to hunt pigs, but have not really pushed the issue. I'm going to have to start either hunting or some sort of competitive shooting, as going to the range and shooting targets is beginning to get boring. Now that the state has gotten interested in keeping up our local range. And has hired a crew of range safety officers, (I call them PLOs, makes em laugh) They have put so many restrictions on the shooting that it aint much fun anymore. NO steel targets of any kind, NO rapid firing, one second between shots etc etc etc. I gots to find somewhere to shoot!
I am a member of 2 American and 3 Canadian shooting clubs and much prefer being out in the woods.
I think there should be some common sense safety rules where people gather to shoot but it's getting silly and stiffling at some clubs with the overbearing range nazis.
I'll try a club for a while and if there's too much breathing down my neck nonsense I don''t return.
The American clubs are a freer environment for the most part and you're looking a membership fees in most cases less than $50 per year and are essentially left alone to do your own thing unless you're making an idiot of yourself.
The Canadian clubs involve mandatory training courses, lengthy probation periods where you're treated like a 6 year old, constant oversight by anti-gun government bureaucracies and membership fees into the hundreds of dollars.
I'll take the wilderness environment any day over any of the above choices.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA