new guy with ss 44 mag

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Durf

new guy with ss 44 mag

Post by Durf »

Hello every one,
2 1/2 weeks ago at my lgs, there she was.20 inch barrel and stainless to boot. I love 44mag in a rifle and I have a slight stainless fedish. Action was smooth,wood fit tight,forearm needed a little wood removal on 1 side up by barrel band.So I took her home,shoots great ran @ 300 rounds down the tube and its been cold here.
This sunday about 13 degrees outside,my son and his familiy came over for dinner and we had to shoot from the bedroom to stay warm.To cold to even put targets out so my son and I cut down a couple of 5inch maples
that have been annoying me lately lol ,I do love 44 mag!!!!
Now thanks to this forum and the knowledge here, I fieldstripped the rifle cleaned up the internals.Then deburred bolt,polished trigger and hammer and shimmed trigger spring, WOW now its really nice, not that it was bad out of the box but a little love goes a long way. Also spun up plug for safety and drilled and tapped for a skinner peep sight I had, old eyes and I shoot better with a peep.
Now on to the wood that forearm was bothering me.I took the wood off fixed forearm now had to sand off factory finish restain and poly.When i was reassembling I noticed that the wood on inside of forearm between mag tube and barrel,or I should say lack of. What wood that remained 2 1/2 inches by barrel
band was split @ 1 1 /4 of that. I was not happy the wood was looking great but murphys law saids that
1 week before deer season I will be shooting it and the forearm will come off in my hand. Called Rossi and sent gun back 2 days ago they will put new wood on stock and forearm, also replaceing screw for trigger/hammer a little bent and Iam a anal machinist. I hope everything works out they said 2-3 weeks
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: new guy with ss 44 mag

Post by golfish »

Welcome to the site, brother..

Just in case, here's an after market site for walnut furniture.

http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/conte ... s/d70.html
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: new guy with ss 44 mag

Post by akuser47 »

Keep us posted to how it goes
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!