I'm Going to Ruin this Marlin 336 in 35 Remington

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: I'm Going to Ruin this Marlin 336 in 35 Remington

Post by klr »

7.62 Precision wrote:I didn't remove any - it started as a 1952 Marlin 336 SC .35 Rem. Here is a before photo:

I can say that you definitely did not ruin yours! I like the way it turned out.
Don't tell my wife, but I may go that way with my next one. Would you measure the mag tube for me? Is it a 20" barrel, and does it it hold 5 rounds?

Thanks, I really like how it turned out too. I didn't really think I'd ruin it, but I figured I'd get some flack for chopping a perfectly good gun and thought I'd beat the naysayers to the punch. :lol:

BTW, yesterday 13gr of Herco got me 1438 fps 5 shot avg and it put them into a 2.25" group at 100 yds from a cold barrel. Then 20gr of 2400 averaged 1630 fps and put 3 into 3.25" but I'm starting to get some leading. I honed out my sizing die .001 and will cast some more tonight.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

klr wrote: Thanks, I really like how it turned out too. I didn't really think I'd ruin it, but I figured I'd get some flack for chopping a perfectly good gun and thought I'd beat the naysayers to the punch. :lol:
Why would you get flack? ......... your gun ...... your call.

You wanted a lighter, faster swinging rifle with a shorter snout for your purpose and you did a fine job of transforming that rifle.........looks great and hopefully it functions and shoots just as great.

If you had botched the job and ruined an original JM you wouldn't need the naysaysers to give you flack..... your butt would be black & blue from you kicking it all over the living room.
Fortunately it turned out well.

I personally would have bought a Remlin and transformed it rather than a JM original but as I said....your gun......your call .... and you did a really fine job with the modifications.

Congrats on a fine job. :D

**What I like about this forum in contrast to most others is that threads don't degenerate into "bar room brawls" with the original topic getting lost in a swirling maelstrom of egos & emerging personality conflicts. The threads start being about the guns and they stay being about the guns from start to finish.

We politely discuss, compare, inform, advise here on RR but we don't do "the flack thing" which makes it a really good place to spend time. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:We politely discuss, compare, inform, advise here on RR but we don't do "the flack thing" which makes it a really good place to spend time. :mrgreen:
Well said pricedo and that would be a another good byline for us... "Flack Free!"
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:We politely discuss, compare, inform, advise here on RR but we don't do "the flack thing" which makes it a really good place to spend time. :mrgreen:
Well said pricedo and that would be a another good byline for us... "Flack Free!"
+1 Very good flack free zone I couldn't have put it better.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

klr wrote:
Thanks, I really like how it turned out too. I didn't really think I'd ruin it, but I figured I'd get some flack for chopping a perfectly good gun and thought I'd beat the naysayers to the punch. :lol:
Curious: How is the trigger (pull & crispness) on your newly transformed rifle?

I always found the factory 336 triggers (JM or REP) to be somewhat heavy & gritty.

I really like the Wild West Guns "Trigger Happy" kit and installing the kits has yeilded 3 very crisp 2.5 - 3 pound triggers on my 2 Guide Guns and my new 336.

They're (the Trigger Happy kits) expensive at $89 but in my opinion a hunting rifle is only as good as its weakest component.

A gun can be at the pinnacle orbit in regards to materials, design & workmanship but if it has a so-so trigger it's a so-so gun.

I've honed stock 336 triggers and got the pull down to 2.5-3 pounds but they were always a little too creepy for my liking.

The installed WWG "Trigger Happy" kit is BOTH light and crisp.

That makes the WWG "Trigger Happy" kit worth every nickel in my opinion.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

pricedo wrote:
Curious: How is the trigger (pull & crispness) on your newly transformed rifle?

I always found the factory 336 triggers (JM or REP) to be somewhat heavy & gritty.
It's heavy and gritty. Makes that 2.25" 100 yard group I shot with a cold barrel, horrible trigger, and $20 Chinese Bushnell all the more impressive, doesn't it? ;) :lol:

But seriously, this rifle is moving on to stay with my dad. I know he won't spend any money on it but I'm going to see what I can do to improve it.
7.62 Precision

Post by 7.62 Precision »

klr wrote: Don't tell my wife, but I may go that way with my next one. Would you measure the mag tube for me? Is it a 20" barrel, and does it it hold 5 rounds?
If you don't have the rifle already that you are going to use , just pick up and SC, and the tube will be right.

If you have the rifle already, then you will need to ask someone who has an SC to measure it for you, I don't now but I would like to.

The barrel is 20" and magazine holds 5 rounds.
7.62 Precision

Post by 7.62 Precision »

klr wrote: I figured I'd get some flack for chopping a perfectly good gun and thought I'd beat the naysayers to the punch. :lol:
Sorry to disappoint you, I'll try to do better: You IDIOT! I can't believe that you took one of the most common hunting rifles in the US, which can be picked up used and for cheap in about any gun store you walk into, and has no real collector's value yet, since it is not that old and you trip over them everywhere you turn, and you made it into something that you like and can be proud of and fits your needs!

You took a perfectly good gun and chopped it up into something perfectly better!

I am APPALLED!

There, do you feel like you are on a different board? :D
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

That's more like it. :lol:
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Final report in this story:

I opened my sizing die to .359 and cast some 50/50 wheel weight/pure lead bullets. Seated them so they lightly engrave the rifling when chambered. I shot a half dozen today and my first three out of a cold, clean barrel went into 1.6" @ 100 yds.

20 grains of 2400 powder gave me 1660 fps avg with a spread of 35 fps. Sighted in at about 130 yds and it will stay within 2.75" out to a little over 150 yards where it will still be going almost 1300 fps and deliver 800 ft lbs of energy. Enough for the small deer around here.

So now it goes to live with my dad.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Now I'm looking for another. Maybe a 30/30 to be bored to 35/30 or 375 Win. +guns