I'm Going to Ruin this Marlin 336 in 35 Remington

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

I'm Going to Ruin this Marlin 336 in 35 Remington

Post by klr »

I stumbled across a good deal on this Marlin and have decided to make it slimmer, lighter, and handier. The plan is to chop to 16.5, slim down the sow belly forearm, cut off the pistol grip, and modify the lever to suit.

Here it is before I started chopping on it. I'll update as things progress and I get pics.

Yesterday I cut the barrel and rough shaped the forearm. It now weighs 6 ounces more than my daughter's R92 20" 357 and feels much better. I believe cutting the pistol grip will get me down another few ounces. I still need to remove a little more from the forearm.

Can someone recommend a good cold bluing product? I'm eventually going to reblue, but I want to just touch up the bare metal and put this rifle to use this year.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I'm Going to Ruin this Marlin 336 in 35 Remington

Post by Ranch Dog »

Interesting project klr! I have a 336D that I dearly love, it has a 18 1/2 barrel. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

How many fps velocity and ft-lbs ME are you sacrificng by chopping 3 1/2" off that barrel?
I'm using the Hornady FTX 200 grain ammo to push the effective range of my new Marlin 336 in 35 Rem to 200 yards with plans to use the gun as a scoped tree stand gun.
I'd probably cancel the ballistic advantage of the pointed FTX bullets by chopping the barrel.
But that wouldn't matter if I wanted the gun to be a short to middlin range brush buster.
RD says that micro groove rifling is OK for lead bullets and that's what I'd use in a 35 Rem thick brush gun...... a 220 - 250 grain hc lead bullet.
Just tossin around some ideas.
Everybody to their own.
Let us know how it works out. +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great work keep us posted. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

This is an interesting project..... Looking forward to seeing the final look and range report!!
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Kinda anxious to see what that chopped 336C is going to look like after the dust clears around klrs work bench. +corn
Wonder if he's going to cut a dovetail & transplant the front sight onto the shortened barrel? Image
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr... hope you don't mind me posting a picture of my "D" I thought it would give you some inspiration!
336D.gif
I will get a better picture today. IT is really a 336 based on the 1895G.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Thanks for the comments, guys. The plan right now is to have a working rifle that is just enough for small whitetail out to 150ish yards. I cast a 200 gr flat point and I think 1850 fps will be enough to get the job done without excessive blast or recoil. Losing velocity and gaining noise are the downside to cutting the barrel, but I won't know how bad it is until I try.
RD- Nice rifle. I debated going that way with my barrel. How long is your tube and how many rounds does it hold?

Not planning on a front sight at this time. I've removed them from all my hunting rifles since about 1982 and my eyesight is much worse now.
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

Quite an interesting project. Will be fun to see how it turns out. I don't think I have the guts to attempt such a thing, though I've modified most of my rifles in lesser ways. Keep us posted on progress.
Aim small, miss small.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:klr... hope you don't mind me posting a picture of my "D" I thought it would give you some inspiration!
336D.gif
I will get a better picture today. IT is really a 336 based on the 1895G.
Nice looking gun.......a watered down 1895 and superb for those who like a very light, compact brush gun.
The new Remlin recoil pads I believe are superior to the old spongy pads on the JMs.
My old 336C didn't have a recoil pad nor did it have checkering on the forearm or butt stock.
Is your 336D in 35 Rem?
It looks to be in mint condition...........not used much?
I usually chuck the boxes when I buy a gun that isn't a collectors item.......my storage areas would be filled with gun boxes if I didn't.
The California approved gun lock Remlin sent with my 336C would make a good boat anchor.......what a monstrosity ! :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA