44 mag, Oct. Barrel mag tube jumps out??

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
retiredpo

44 mag, Oct. Barrel mag tube jumps out??

Post by retiredpo »

Is there a proper home fix to this issue... I shoot basically the same load with approx the same weight bullet in the 45 Long colt with no jump in the mag tube... and the 44 even with medium loads will jump the hole.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 44 mag, Oct. Barrel mag tube jumps out??

Post by akuser47 »

check your mag tube retention hole the screw should seat into that dimple in the bottom of the barrel so this does not happen you may need to tighten this screw to stop this or make the dimple deeper.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
retiredpo

Post by retiredpo »

seems the same depth of hole as the 45.... but I can drill it a bit deeper.... currently when I tighten the screw all the way down, it does seem to bow the tube just a touch..... drilling it deeper will take that tension off the tube....
thanks.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Take time and be cautious not to go to deep. +corn I'm gona move this to DIY gunsmithing as it is better suited there. Keep us posted to how she does. It will shadow for 72 hours in this section. +corn
BigeyeBob

Post by BigeyeBob »

retiredpo wrote:Is there a proper home fix to this issue... I shoot basically the same load with approx the same weight bullet in the 45 Long colt with no jump in the mag tube... and the 44 even with medium loads will jump the hole.

check this thread , I had the same problem I fixed mine by making anew mag pug and a larger diameter screw and drilling the dimple deeper ,so far so go.
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1357
Rossi M92 357Mag
Stainless 24"bbl Rifle.
"I ain't young enough to know every thing "
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

BigeyeBob wrote:
retiredpo wrote:Is there a proper home fix to this issue... I shoot basically the same load with approx the same weight bullet in the 45 Long colt with no jump in the mag tube... and the 44 even with medium loads will jump the hole.

check this thread , I had the same problem I fixed mine by making anew mag pug and a larger diameter screw and drilling the dimple deeper ,so far so go.
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1357
thanks for linking the info. this may be what is needed.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The things you learn hanging around other users.
I've shot some very heavy loads out of other lever actions. The 92 action is actually potentially stronger and tougher than some of those actions. The mods detailed that might be required to the magazine system are simple at the production level. Doing it one by one to each gun as a mod is a PITA for the paying customer / owner.

If Rossi isn't stalking the forum they need to be.

As I said on the Rio Grande thread a bit ago:
Don't just fix your problems, write them up and post them here then ship the problem and the fix on to Rossi. It is certain that if you are having the problem other folks are as well. All Rossi / Braztech is going to know about are what shows back up at their customer service center. IF they are smart those problems get shoved back to the production line and assembly training. BUT the more complaints they get the more likely they are to do the investigations to make the improvements. IF you've found a problem AND fixed it then you've done half the work for them.

I say half because we all know even after you know what needs to be done you still have to convince management.

I haven't heard about the same problems with recoil with the Japanese Winchesters on the magazine system. There is no reason these guns should continue to have problems even with heavy loads when the fix is a matter of changing a screw/pin and making it fit.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:Don't just fix your problems, write them up and post them here then ship the problem and the fix on to Rossi. It is certain that if you are having the problem other folks are as well. All Rossi / Braztech is going to know about are what shows back up at their customer service center. IF they are smart those problems get shoved back to the production line and assembly training. BUT the more complaints they get the more likely they are to do the investigations to make the improvements. IF you've found a problem AND fixed it then you've done half the work for them.
I could not agree more!
Michael
retiredpo

Post by retiredpo »

New Small twist... I took the mag tube cap and sping out... got the proper drill bit, increased the hole just a bit, put it all together... tried it.... still jumps... however, my drilling was minor, as im not a machinist, and I dont want to go deep..... anyway... after reinstalling,... and looking at the side view... it seems that when the retension pin is completely screwed down... it puts enough pressure on the mag tube to bow it away from the barrel a bit.... Im wondering if that exacerbates the problem... I see my options as 1. drill deeper...
or shorten the pin.....
if it were yours which way would you go.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The retention screw, I would call and order another and be sure you can get it then once you have spare then shorten it to see if it helps your issue. Keep us posted.