New member and new Rossi 92 owner with ???

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: New member and new Rossi 92 owner with ???

Post by Moon Tree »

I was thinking about getting the "flip-down" style of glasses to use for hunting, because I don't need glasses pass 15 or 20 feet. That way I hunt without glasses, find my game, shoulder the rifle, flip down the glasses, cock the hammer and serve up some backstraps. ;)
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Deleted
Last edited by Deleted User 327 on 01 May 2014 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The fairly coarse factory sights with the big brass beaded front sight on my Rossi 92/454 match my fairly coarse 60+ year old vision perfectly.
I can see well enough to take deer and moose cleanly & consistently from 50 -100 yards in natural light with the factory semi-buckhorns unassisted by glasses.
When shooting in artifical light I need to use my glasses.
It appears that my eyes respond better to light frequencies that are present in natural sunlight and which are absent in artificial "bulb" light.
Sometimes good fortune smiles on shooters and things "just work out" better than expected.........one such case in point is my Rossi 92/454 which is is dead-on zero at 50 yards with my hard cast lead load which pushes a 335 grain bullet ~1975 fps with the back site set right at the very top elevator adjustment.
This load will anchor any hog, deer, bear, elk, moose firmly to the ground without unneccessary pounding of the rifle or the shooter.
There is no need to clutter a really, light & handy hunting rifle with a bunch of heavy, cumbersome gadgetry & optical infrastructure at this point in time. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

COSteve, thanks for the information. I've thought about the Marbel tang aperture sight. I'm just not sure I would like them because:
1. I've never shot with peeps sights.
2. It seems like I would be annoyed by them being were I grip the rifle. I'm sure I'd get used to that.
3. They would be something else to snag, catch and tangle in a tree stand.
4. They're not cheap. I think $189. Installing them is just barely within my skill set, because my tang would require drilling and tapping. I might just get a gunsmith to install them it for me. And, it might end up in a misc. parts box in the cabinet. If I knew I would like them for a hunting rifle, I'd order them tomorrow.

Now, for the really crazy question: Has anyone ever used a tang peep sight in conjunction with rear sights? I'm thinking the aperture would help with my depth of field issue, and I could still use the semi-buckhorn sight that I'm used to shooting.

BTW COSteve, nice looking rifles.

Pricedo, I'm envious.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.