New 92 owner

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Desertbuck

New 92 owner

Post by Desertbuck »

I recently purchased a Rossi 92 with the 24 inch octagonal barrel. I was tearing it down completely to clean out all factory grease tonight and when I got to the fore grip I could not get it to come off got any tips on how to encourage off?
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: New 92 owner

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Welcome to our hunting camp DB!!! Pull up a stump and toss a log on the fire.

I am not familiar with the octagon barrel set up. I am pretty sure they have the forearm cap not barrel band. I would have thought after removing the cross bolt it would slide forward must the same as those with the band setup. I am sure someone with that specific model will jump in.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I haven't pulled mine yet but there's two screw heads one from each side on the forend end cap.
I'm guessing that the screws need to be removed.
The magazine end cap needs to be removed. Warning spring under tension.
Remove the spring and follower.
Then I hope the mag tube may be slid out of the forend and the lug under the barrel.
That should allow the removal of the end cap and the forend.

BUT as I haven't done it I am not sure the mag tube will slide through or how easy it might be.

When I get around to doing a little refinishing I WILL take it apart but I only really want to do it once per each rifle barring any other problems.
Last edited by Archer on 01 Mar 2014 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome Desertbuck! I only own the carbines but I'm sure someone will be along to help with the rifle soon.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Just checked the gun.

Might have to also drive out the pin in the lug under the barrel between the muzzle and the fore end.
IF the mag tube is notched for that pin then it would keep the tube from sliding out.
Desertbuck

Post by Desertbuck »

Well I still have not got the forward grip off yet but I believe the hair dryer trick will do it. But I have to say there is a litt------well BIG little learning curve to lining every thing back up to get it back to gether. :P lol The little bolt pin was the biggest p.i.t.a of all. But I have fun learning about the workings of all my guns. I do have a another question regarding ammo. Im a reloader and bullet caster. I would like to know if I should give the finished rounds a good crimp to in improve feeding?

Thanks for the warm welcome good to be a member. :mrgreen:
Desertbuck

Post by Desertbuck »

Nevermind answered my own question look through my reloading books and yes they all recommend a cramp for lever actions I should have known. :oops: