92 sling attachment for .44 mag

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Caribouriver

92 sling attachment for .44 mag

Post by Caribouriver »

I was going to keep it simple and just use Uncle Mikes that clamps onto the magazine tube. After reading several reviews of that model in that application I came across some negative reports. The main criticism was that the little hollow hex bolt that squeezes the legs together (and is the attachment for the swivel) on the mag tube tends to strip and not grip tightly. I then was thinking of drilling and tapping the forward barrel band for a swivel stud but wondered if that would make the sling too short?? I put a magazine tube uncle mikes on a .22 and can attest that the hollow hex bolt does strip (the head - not the threads) easily. What do you suggest?
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 92 sling attachment for .44 mag

Post by Rooster59 »

Some people swear by the mag tube clamp. I've had three and none worked out. Either they couldn't be tightened enough or the screw you mentioned stripped.

I don't think Rossi offers a forearm band with a swivel stud like Marlin does. Marlin's clamp is pretty thin compared to the Rossi so I have always bought them for my Marlins that didn't have a stud. I had my Rossi's stainless forearm band D&T'd and a nickel stud installed. The Rossi band is pretty beefy so I wasn't afraid of the stud stripping out.

I wouldn't attach the sling to the forward clamp. Just something about the muzzle hanging right there next to me ear, much less how low the rifle would hang down from my shoulder.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Rooster59 wrote:Some people swear by the mag tube clamp. I've had three and none worked out. Either they couldn't be tightened enough or the screw you mentioned stripped.

I don't think Rossi offers a forearm band with a swivel stud like Marlin does. Marlin's clamp is pretty thin compared to the Rossi so I have always bought them for my Marlins that didn't have a stud. I had my Rossi's stainless forearm band D&T'd and a nickel stud installed. The Rossi band is pretty beefy so I wasn't afraid of the stud stripping out.

I wouldn't attach the sling to the forward clamp. Just something about the muzzle hanging right there next to me ear, much less how low the rifle would hang down from my shoulder.

Jeff
I use the inexpensive Quake brand "Claw" sling with the conventional swivel ring/anchor screw configuration for the buttstock and a nylon choker loop to go around the barrel/mag tube for my 92s & original Winchester 94s.
I pretty well need one for my Winchester 94/450 Marlin Trails End takedown because the mag tube must be free to screw out/in of the receiver during take down/reassembly.
This arrangement never slips and there's no danger of deforming delicate mag tubes and causing ammo hangup problems like there is with the "C" & "O" clamps.
These slings are made of a very "grippy" but strong rubber that won't slip on clothing eliminating the necessity of constantly shifting & adjusting the gun & sling while walking with the gun.
The Quake "Claw" arrangement is also very quiet with no metal hardware to rattle against the steel barrel/mag tube & spook game.
It is also very secure..........I've NEVER had one break or slip off the gun causing the gun to fall and cause damage........I certainly can't say that for conventional clamp slings that I've used in the past.
A win-win-win rifle sling system. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I think I'm just gonna loop some paracord around the barrel and buttstock simple easy and also good cord in case of emergency. And can be used to drag your kill back to your vehicle in a pinch or fashion shelter, bootlaces, etc.etc.etc.
here is as simple as it gets one piece almost 8 foot of paracord with 7 strand core intact good for fishing line and many other tasks i just used a basic version of an albright knot to join them.
Then I decided I didn't like the sling resting against the back of my triggers so I put a buttplate loop in the cord so when slung upright she stays in place. All can be removed or adjusted in moments and this works. Not purty like a leather sling but it is resilent and will last longer than the wood will in the elements.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well done AK!!! Nice out of the box thinking!
Michael
Caribouriver

Post by Caribouriver »

Thanks everyone. I was a little unclear in communicating my thinking . I meant to say to drill and tap the bottom of the band that joins the barrel, magazine tube and wood forearm. Not up by the muzzle. As mentioned, it is pretty beefy. The mag tube clamp on my 336 is a total different design from Uncle Mikes on the 92. On the Marlin, the squeezing screw goes in the space between the barrel and mag tube. It is rick solid. Uncle Mikes design for the 92 seems to put the squeeze screw at the worst possible location to be effective. Like digging with a long handled spade shovel but only grasping it at the end. So folks tend to overtighten it with unsatisfactory results. So if I do put one swivel about 2.5" from the butt and the other swivel on the bottom of the forearm band, will that make for too short a sling for a hasty sling position?
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

akuser47 wrote:I think I'm just gonna loop some paracord around the barrel and buttstock simple easy and also good cord in case of emergency. And can be used to drag your kill back to your vehicle in a pinch or fashion shelter, bootlaces, etc.etc.etc.
here is as simple as it gets one piece almost 8 foot of paracord with 7 strand core intact good for fishing line and many other tasks i just used a basic version of an albright knot to join them.
Then I decided I didn't like the sling resting against the back of my triggers so I put a buttplate loop in the cord so when slung upright she stays in place. All can be removed or adjusted in moments and this works. Not purty like a leather sling but it is resilent and will last longer than the wood will in the elements.

Very nice AK..

How's the riding weather down there?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

A coupla long woven nylon or leather boot laces will do the same thing........not purty but cheap & effective.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paracord-Rifle-Sling/

No I didn't post it.
I was actually looking for a slightly simpler design using this basic weave:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... /?ALLSTEPS
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I always liked the cobra braids, but thought it to time comsuming to use in somthing so large as a sling. I mean you will have somthing like 60 to 100 feet of cord in total for a sling. well op I think we all have thrown you options so keep us posted to what you use. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!